Tennis

weslgarlic

As far as the Ladies. Gotta go for the "hot" German Sabine. She will be in our hearts as she despatched that loathsome Williams who strutted around like it was a formality. Good riddance

You had me at 'German'. So my support is fully behind Sabine now.

Loking forward to the men's semis in the morning...5am my time.

I Hope Sabine wins

A men's semis not much fun ...ooh her misses

The English public, the ones who watch tennis for 2 weeks of the year, seem to be behind fraulein Lisicki because she smiles all the time! except for the whole of the 2nd set and all of the third set against Radwanska (until she won) me I'll be hoping for a win, not for the "it" girl, but for the "WTF" girl - Bartoli - she's so weird and I like that in a woman.

Mr. Pusher has pushed his way to another Wimbledon final after his draw parted like the red sea for a second year in succession and aided, again, by the Wimbledon centre court crowd; who really are an insufferable bunch, a mixture of flag waving zealots and Pippa Middledon, all cheering the unforced errors and double faults of Murray's opponents - really classy. Commentating on every Murray match we have the unbelievably smug, self satisfied, gaff prone and staunch Murray supporter, Andrew Castle, he did at least get to the 2 round of Wimbledon back in 1987, so he does know what he's talking about. Oh and Tim Henman - he got to four Wimbledon semi-finals, you know.

So, Murray V Djokovic - similar styles and usually a boring match-up - the drama of the occasion will hopefully make up for the soporific play. To win, Pusher will have to be more aggressive, and if he doesn't take the first set then he is most likely stuffed (Djokovic has only lost four career matches when he has won the first set and in 3 of those he retired) I don't see Djokovic wanting to become the "man who Andy Murray wins grand slam finals against" and, despite Murray having the crowd behind him, unless the match officials bring on a wind machine to make the conditions close to what they were in the U.S Open final last year, with Djokovic playing in "beast mode" I just don't see how Murray wins this one.

So, will the English, sorry Great British public finally get what they want? I think there will be tears again, British tears.

Edited by Pagesbow

So, we come to the final match of the tennis year for about 98 percent of the jingoistic flag waving masses who will be supporting Murray today in the U.K; after being whipped up into a frenzy by the media for the past two weeks. If anything, the Centre Court crowd will be more partisan than it was in last year's final, and they will be baying for Djokovic's blood.

Game on!

Edited by Pagesbow

Well, all things considered, a lackluster Wimbledon this year....unless you were one of those English manaically cheering on Andy to end the male drought. Virginia Wade did her part in 1977, although to hear most of the media you wouldn't know it.

At least now with Andy Murray's victory, the UK media can get back to less hyperventilating and more even-handed Wimbledon coverage next year.

Yeah, right. :unsure:

Mr. Pusher has pushed his way to another Wimbledon final after his draw parted like the red sea for a second year in succession and aided, again, by the Wimbledon centre court crowd; who really are an insufferable bunch, a mixture of flag waving zealots and Pippa Middledon, all cheering the unforced errors and double faults of Murray's opponents - really classy. Commentating on every Murray match we have the unbelievably smug, self satisfied, gaff prone and staunch Murray supporter, Andrew Castle, he did at least get to the 2 round of Wimbledon back in 1987, so he does know what he's talking about. Oh and Tim Henman - he got to four Wimbledon semi-finals, you know.

So, Murray V Djokovic - similar styles and usually a boring match-up - the drama of the occasion will hopefully make up for the soporific play. To win, Pusher will have to be more aggressive, and if he doesn't take the first set then he is most likely stuffed (Djokovic has only lost four career matches when he has won the first set and in 3 of those he retired) I don't see Djokovic wanting to become the "man who Andy Murray wins grand slam finals against" and, despite Murray having the crowd behind him, unless the match officials bring on a wind machine to make the conditions close to what they were in the U.S Open final last year, with Djokovic playing in "beast mode" I just don't see how Murray wins this one.

So, will the English, sorry Great British public finally get what they want? I think there will be tears again, British tears.

post-4226-0-90759700-1373262050.jpg

Arise Sir Andy Murray! Sports Personality of the Year 2013...boy, It's good to be right, I always knew you could do it Andy and I supported you all the way; I never doubted your aggressive brand of tennis would triumph! some players just push the ball back in play and wait for their opponent to miss, not you Andy! Truly, it was an historic moment and life changing event for the millions of people who watch two weeks of tennis per year. So, get your flags out, raise the bunting and a glass of champagne to our hero! enjoy your street party today, it's going to be great fun!

Special mention must go to Andrew Castle and Tim Henman - your wonderful, insightful commentary was a true delight - as always, but you outdid yourself yesterday. I will never forget as the camera panned to a swan on Wimbledon common, Tim, you made this remark ‘Have you ever met anyone who’s had their arm broken by a swan?’ and you know what? I never have....

Edited by Pagesbow

Arise Sir Andy Murray! Sports Personality of the Year 2013...boy, It's good to be right, I always knew you could do it Andy and I supported you all the way; I never doubted your aggressive brand of tennis would triumph! some players just push the ball back in play and wait for their opponent to miss, not you Andy! Truly, it was an historic moment and life changing event for the millions of people who watch two weeks of tennis per year. So, get your flags out, raise the bunting and a glass of champagne to our hero! enjoy your street party today, it's going to be great fun!

Special mention must go to Andrew Castle and Tim Henman - your wonderful, insightful commentary was a true delight - as always, but you outdid yourself yesterday. I will never forget as the camera panned to a swan on Wimbledon common, Tim, you made this remark ‘Have you ever met anyone who’s had their arm broken by a swan?’ and you know what? I never have....

EAR EAR

Special mention must go to Andrew Castle and Tim Henman - your wonderful, insightful commentary was a true delight - as always, but you outdid yourself yesterday. I will never forget as the camera panned to a swan on Wimbledon common, Tim, you made this remark Have you ever met anyone whos had their arm broken by a swan? and you know what? I never have....

I must try to find their commentary on YouTube. Arm broken by a swan? Given the many times Our Tim folded under pressure, Tim Henman strikes me as the kind of man who would get his arm broken by a swan.

You guys make fun of the British commentators for calling Andy Murray by his first name, but routinely refer to women players by their first names! Just sayin'.

My fellow Americans: this is the first year I can remember that a broadcast network did not carry the Wimbledon final - instead it was on the cable network ESPN. Don't know if that is a sign of tennis' declining popularity or what.

You guys make fun of the British commentators for calling Andy Murray by his first name, but routinely refer to women players by their first names! Just sayin'.

My fellow Americans: this is the first year I can remember that a broadcast network did not carry the Wimbledon final - instead it was on the cable network ESPN. Don't know if that is a sign of tennis' declining popularity or what.

It is more a sign how ESPN is gobbling up the sports world. ESPN and ABC are owned by the same company but more and more sports broadcasts end up on ESPN.

With his loss to 114–ranked qualifier Federico Delbonis in the Hamburg semifinals today, Roger Federer has lost in back-to-back tournaments to players ranked outside of the Top 100 for the first time since the summer of 2002.

World No. 116 Sergiy Stakhovsky upset the 17-time Grand Slam winner at Wimbledon.

Federer is undergoing a racquet change, switching to a new 98-inch prototype that is not available to consumers yet, Wilson’s Jon Muir told the Wall Street Journal.

Four-time Hamburg champion Federer said the racquet did not play a role in his loss.

"I don’t think it had much to do with the racquet today,” Federer told reporters. “I tried everything I could at this tournament. It’s been a difficult week throughout. But I’m happy I fought through many matches. It gives me the matches I was looking for."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/07/federer-racquet-didnt-cause-loss/48441/#.UerwSqxf-zt

• 1 month later...
Andy Murray beaten by Stanislas Wawrinka at US Open

Andy Murray's US Open title defence ended tamely as Swiss ninth seed Stanislas Wawrinka outplayed him in the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows.

The Briton, seeded third, failed to earn a single break point in a 6-4 6-3 6-2 defeat on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Murray has struggled to find his best form since winning Wimbledon two months ago and his frustration was clear when he was given a code violation for racquet abuse.

"It was a tough day for me," Murray told BBC Radio 5 live.

"He played exceptional tennis and served very, very well. He hit a lot of lines on big points, went for his shots and they all went in today. He played too well."

In a match many had predicted would go to five sets, it took only two hours and 15 minutes for Wawrinka's brilliant attacking game to prevail on a hot and blustery afternoon in New York.

The 28-year-old moves on to his first Grand Slam semi-final, where he will face world number one Novak Djokovic who beat 21st seed Mikhail Youzhny 6-3 6-2 3-6 6-0 in the night session.

Murray, 26, won his first major title at last year's US Open, but even the return of Sir Sean Connery to watch his fellow Scot could not inspire a similar level of performance.

Wawrinka was the last man to beat Murray in the first week of a Grand Slam, at the 2010 US Open, and he inflicted another painful defeat on the British number one.

The conditions caused both players problems in the early stages, with Murray netting a straightforward volley before Wawrinka played an air shot on his usually brilliant backhand.

It was the Swiss who looked the more threatening though, with Murray failing to find any potency on serve and barely winning more than half of the points in his service games.

He was made to pay in game 10 when he let a 40-0 lead slip with three errors, and after a 16-minute tussle Wawrinka converted his sixth set point thanks to a loose Murray forehand.

That prompted the champion to smash his racquet in anger and he was quickly in trouble in the second set, but came up with a second-serve ace down the middle to stay on terms.

Wawrinka spoke before the match of how he had become a more confident player in recent months and the belief flowed through him as he took a grip on the match with successive love games.

A rasping backhand winner got him the break and a 4-2 lead - but it came after Murray had offered up three errors, and the Briton looked a dejected figure heading into the third set.

Murray's record from two sets down is impressive but there was no sign of a comeback this time, and a double fault gave Wawrinka the lead at 2-1 before another terrific pass all but sealed victory for the Swiss with a double break.

Wawrinka held his nerve from 0-30 to serve out one of the biggest wins of his career, and ensure Murray would not be defending his title in the final on Monday evening.

"I was playing well enough to get to the quarters," added Murray.

"It's not an easy thing to do - there's only eight guys in the tournament who have been able to do that.

"I've played my best tennis at the Slams the last three years. It wasn't maybe my best day today, but the last three years have been great for me and especially the last year."

Wawrinka said: "It's amazing for me to be in the first semi-final in a Grand Slam, especially after beating Andy Murray, defending champion. He just won Wimbledon, too. He's a great champion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23966036

^^^

Yeah, so much for the calm, mature Andy Murray. It was back to the Sour Scot.

Come on Novak!!! I have got to cheer for Djokovic...Wawrinka looks too uncomfortably like Seth McFarlane. Serena will pound her way into the winners circle again tomorrow, I believe.

^^^

Yeah, so much for the calm, mature Andy Murray. It was back to the Sour Scot.

Come on Novak!!! I have got to cheer for Djokovic...Wawrinka looks too uncomfortably like Seth McFarlane. Serena will pound her way into the winners circle again tomorrow, I believe.

Andy Murray was outplayed all game