Tennis

weslgarlic

:( Sigh...

Another lost opportunity for Roger Federer. Another loss to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon Final where it seemed he lost gas as Djokovic got stronger and stronger. The rain delay (of course there was a rain delay...this is England!) hurt Federer...he wasn't the same afterwards.

Last year, Federer was able to take it to a fifth set. This year he lost in four.

I thought this might be a kind of last hurrah for Federer...his best chance at adding another major championship to his career total. One wonders if this is it. Is this the beginning of the end?

Djokovic is only getting better and stronger and he's already up there with the greats of the game. Already the best "returner of serve" I've seen since Andre Agassi, and he's passed Agassi.

Goodbye green grass of Wimbledon. Onward to the hardcourts and noise of the U.S. Open.

As for me, it's onward to the farmers market.

It would be a dream come true to get to see Wimbledon live in person one day. People are so lucky to get to do that. Meantime, I am rooting for Fed to take at least one more major, and to do so on a court that has been his home and at this age would be an incredible achievement in an already storied and historic GOAT career. Very emotional day. You can tell in interviews how special this is and how much it means to Roger to have this chance to win here again. I'm actually feeling a bit nervous for him as I love the game, this is a historic match, and I've followed his career with keen interest so I very much hope he can do it today.

COME ON, ROGER!!!

We got to experience Wimbledon on our sorta honeymoon in 2003. It's quite amazing. Then we got to go to the US Open a few years later. I'm hoping to get to the French Open at some point. And my SIL would love it if we'd get to Australia. But that's a long ways off...

We got to experience Wimbledon on our sorta honeymoon in 2003. It's quite amazing. Then we got to go to the US Open a few years later. I'm hoping to get to the French Open at some point. And my SIL would love it if we'd get to Australia. But that's a long ways off...

:o ebk that's amazing! Which did you like better? Which players did you see? I've been watching for so many years, and have been in England, too, just never got the chance to go to Wimbledon in person... yet. US Open would be an incredible experience, too. I love New York. French Open is unique in the surface, and now that other players besides Rafa are starting to win, it's more interesting. Plus it's France, right? I hope you get a chance to see the Aussie Open in person :)

:o ebk that's amazing! Which did you like better? Which players did you see? I've been watching for so many years, and have been in England, too, just never got the chance to go to Wimbledon in person... yet. US Open would be an incredible experience, too. I love New York. French Open is unique in the surface, and now that other players besides Rafa are starting to win, it's more interesting. Plus it's France, right? I hope you get a chance to see the Aussie Open in person :)

I hope you get to see the Aussie Open, too, ebk.

I've been to Wimbledon once. When I was a boy in 1982 I had a front row seat on Court No.1 when McEnroe defeated McNamara in the Wimbledon semi-finals. It was an amazing experience -- McEnroe's skill level was unbelievable. A few anecdotes: McEnroe was generally well-behaved during the match, but he would occasionally say rude/derogatory things to the audience. For example, on one occasion when the crowd laughed at something irrelevant and stupid, McEnroe loudly sneered "British sense of humor!" and laughed. (A woman in the crowd promptly yelled back at him "At least we have a sense of humor!") At another point during the match, McEnroe gave my older brother (who was sitting next to me) a very angry and dirty look when my brother took a picture of him as he was preparing to serve. (My brother quickly lowered his camera) Great, great times. Anyway, I also saw two matches at Roland Garros in 1997 -- that was also a great experience.

Edited by Pagefan55

To go to Wimbledon it means travelling to the Capital. That counts me out as I have no inclination to go down there. I believe you have to queue ( ahhh that tradition which never fails) overnight. To get to the hallowed main courts you need to grease some palms or be Cliff Richard

• 1 month later...

Bye bye Grand Slam for Serena.  That was a really tense match.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, although I have to say that Vinci was kinda charming in the post-match interview.

I've already yelled at my brother in Italy for ruining the "story."  :)

Bye bye Grand Slam for Serena.  That was a really tense match.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, although I have to say that Vinci was kinda charming in the post-match interview.

I've already yelled at my brother in Italy for ruining the "story."  :)

As a devoted Steffi Graf fan, I say "Viva l'Italia!"

Edited by Strider

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Patrycja said:

Rafa's done at the Aussie Open. First round. WOW...

Like Tiger Woods and his chase of Jack Nicklaus' All-Time Majors record, we are seeing a great athlete's pursuit of record-breaking supremacy curtailed by the breaking down of his body. It seemed once upon a time that Nadal had a chance to pass Federer's championship totals in the 4 major tournaments. Now it is looking less and less likely. Even his beloved clay court isn't the safe haven it used to be.

Throw in the travails of Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, and even the signs of recent slippage by Lebron James, it is obvious that we will be witnessing the demise of a huge number of big name athletes these next few years.

By the end of this decade, the following athletes will have either retired or be on the downside of their careers with no championship hopes: Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, Lebron James, Dywane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisburger, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.

Edited by Strider

20 hours ago, Strider said:

Like Tiger Woods and his chase of Jack Nicklaus' All-Time Majors record, we are seeing a great athlete's pursuit of record-breaking supremacy curtailed by the breaking down of his body. It seemed once upon a time that Nadal had a chance to pass Federer's championship totals in the 4 major tournaments. Now it is looking less and less likely. Even his beloved clay court isn't the safe haven it used to be.

Throw in the travails of Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, and even the signs of recent slippage by Lebron James, it is obvious that we will be witnessing the demise of a huge number of big name athletes these next few years.

By the end of this decade, the following athletes will have either retired or be on the downside of their careers with no championship hopes: Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, Lebron James, Dywane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisburger, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.

As soon as I saw Nadal sliding on hard courts I knew he was shortening his career. Sure enough, knee problems are affecting his career, accelerating its end. Compared to Fed who has a very light style - he sort of floats around gracefully - Rafa's aggressive and hard style - on the weakest joint, no less - is also less amenable to adaptation as the years go by. He gambled that he could get it done withing a shorter window and will likely fail. Part of Roger's staggering run has been staying healthy, and his style of play is pliant in adjusting to the needs of any given surface or opponent. Rafa could barrel through on strength and speed and a deadly spin (which is most effective on clay) but once those start going, well we are seeing the results. There's no way he plays to Roger's current success at this age.

I'm glad that Woods isn't going to beat Jack's record simply for the sake of bringing Icarus down. He was so arrogant - a trait I find more distasteful than just about most other negative ones, a willful blindness to one's context in the greater schemes of so many things - that a feeling of just desserts fill me that gentleman Jack gets to keep the record till a more deserving knight can claim it. He's changed the sport, no doubt, but it's nice to see other guys in it now. 

Same reason why I hope LBJ - the self-proclaimed king before he played a NBA game whose been trying to justify the hype ever since - won't be ranked above MJ when all is said and done. I wouldn't even put him ahead of Kobe, who is having a sad demise this year, but it's also touching to see all the love he's getting on his farewell tour. Again, it's nice to see other players coming up and playing their own style and succeeding. Curry is incredible to watch. A magician who mesmerizes with his skill and dominance.

Timmy ,Tony and Manu have done very well, and when it's their time, they will surely feel as if they'd done all they wanted and more. Ultimate careers. Glad they didn't decide to hang it up yet as they're quietly - yet again! - having an amazing season. Same with Brady when he retires. 

Serena looks like she's bionic and could continue for another hundred years. When ever it is that she retires, she'll probably still be #1. 

In current Aussie news, Shriekapova won. Too bad. I'm sure everyone on the court who watches her play wishes they could mute the match as I do the TV every time she plays. Hopefully she loses soon. SO annoying. Fed's playing now, and has just won the first set. Another benefit to Rafa losing is that Fed's had poor results against him so this opens things up a bit (not sure if Rafa was in Roger's bracket, actually). Now if only someone could play the match of his life and take out Joker... ;)

Novak was taken to five tough sets by Frenchman Simon. He's got a very tough next match against Nishikori who's playing exceptionally well. Should be an interesting match. 

After defeating Wawrinka in his own tough five-setter, Raonic has a test in contrasting styles against Monfils. 

Fed's up tonight against Berdych. Tough match, I'm nervous about it and it's on at the same time as Warriors / Spurs BAH!

^^^Nah, I wasn't worried at all. I, too, was switching between Federer and the Warriors-Spurs game. Both of them beat downs. Serena beating Rick's girlfriend El Grunto Sharapova was even more of a lock. Shrub was President the last time Sharapova beat Serena in a Major tournament.