I Really Miss Ronnie James DIO...

kingzoso

• 3 weeks later...

I just received the 5 Ronnie James Dio T shirts that I bought on. E-bay..  I still can't believe that DIO has been gone for 7 years.  That really breaks Me Heart.  Such a talented Singer and and the second greatest Singer of All-Time (in Me opinion).

Edited by kingzoso

40 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

I just received the 5 Ronnie James Dio T shirts that I bought on. E-bay..  I still can't believe that DIO has been gone for 7 years.  That really breaks Me Heart.  Such a talented Singer and and the second greatest Singer of All-Time (in Me opinion).

I bought a Japanese pressing of the Dio: Evil or Divine dvd last week. It rules.

12 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

In eleven days it will be his death anniversary. May 16th, it will be 8 years since his passing.

I don't know what to say to that, besides it sucks Balls.  I can and will say that I will always Praise and Support Mr. Ronnie James Dio in live or Death.

I LOVE YOU RONNIE JAMES!!!

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I don't know what to say to that, besides it sucks Balls.  I can and will say that I will always Praise and Support Mr. Ronnie James Dio in live or Death.

I LOVE YOU RONNIE JAMES!!!

Same here kingzoso.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 7:19 PM, paul carruthers said:

Well, i guess I've been missing something not listening to Dio more than I was. Didn't really get into it until I found out Simon Wright left AC/DC for this band, so I said what the hell, why not dive in. Started with Holy Diver--so far, so great....

Have you listened  to his stuff with Rainbow yet, or his work with Sabbath? Great stuff. 

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Have not gotten that far ahead, yet. Just one album and some of the later tracks--thank gawd for Youtube...

His story is pretty unique.  The other incarnations of Rainbow and Sabbath sound nothing like his tenure with them.

By far, Stargazer is my favorite:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I first heard Dio when the Holy Diver album came out. It immediately became a favorite of mine and has been ever since. But lately, my favorite stuff from him is his old band Elf. From Rainbow through Sabbath and into his solo career, Dio always sounds like Dio. You could stick Stargazer or Children of the Sea on a Dio solo album and not really notice much difference.

But Elf has it's own sound that's nothing like the Dio sound. It's not metal, it's just good old fashioned rock and roll with one of rock's greatest singers at the helm. Lately I've been loving that stuff to death.

Finally, and maybe it's just me, but I think Dio's vocals were best back during the various incarnations of his old early 60s group Ronnie and the Redcaps/Prophets/whatever else. Mostly because he's not trying to do his signature Dio metal growl, but instead is singing clean, which to me better shows just how beautiful and powerful his voice was. I'm not a big fan of the music, since I'm just not a fan of that 50s/60s doo wop sound, but his voice on those recordings is just angelic. This one is among my favorites

Edited by Balthazor

Thanks for the great read Balthazor, Ronnie was the best, versatile and beautiful vocals, I have all his stuff from Elf to Heaven and Hell, and have heard some of his really early stuff like your above video and some Doo Wop sound stuff, the man was immensely talented.