John Bonham's Jenson Interceptors

David Finch

I am a photographer and Led Zeppelin fan - I have acquired a photo of what I think Is one of John Bonham's Jenson Interceptors JB 12.

I had worked for the car import company (as photographer) that was formed when Jenson folded around '76. I was asked if I wanted any old photo's when I called in about five years ago - the HQ had moved and the old building was going to be demolished. Not having the time to sort through I loaded boxes of old negs and trannies into my car. I now find I have an image of a dark green Jenson Interceptor. While working there I remember being told that John Bonham had his Jenson serviced round the corner at the old Jenson premises - I think the photo was taken on the sports field behind the houses opposite the old Jenson site. Can anyone confirm this is one his cars? I believe he had several Interceptors. I have been given the copyright to sell the images I have and would like to so with this one.

post-24624-0-00689100-1359653586_thumb.j

I notice the buildings in the background may be the Eve Hill towers in Dudley as depicted on the Led Zeppelin IV album cover.

I've read John Bonham may have owned as many as seven different Interceptors. Perhaps Jason Bonham can provide some insight.

There is a allegedly a post somewhere on the net from a mechanic who used to work at Newbury Motors, Manor Lane, Halesowen (former Jensen dealer). He reminisces about Bonham bringing his Jensens and Rolls Royce there for service. On one occasion he allegedly took all the workshop boys over the road to the Rose and Crown and bought the drinks.

On page 85 of the Mick Bonham book 'Bonham by Bonham' there is apparently a photo of John Bomham washing AJW70H, an early MK II, Pimpernel/Black leather model.

Here is a link of interest:

http://blogs.mirror....ed-balloon.html

Thanks for the info - I first saw this image as a print in an album of old photo's when I joined as photographer the car importer that was formed after Jenson folded, Jenson Parts & Service had been kept going and import franchises added like Subaru. I'm sure I was told it was John Bonham's. I had assumed the photo had been taken near the houses opposite Jenson Parts & Service in Kelvin Way but maybe it is Dudley. I have managed to find reference to other John Bonham Interceptors with similar reg numbers. Before advertising the sale of prints and images for publication I wanted to check it was John's. I also have an interest as a Led Zeppelin fan. When at school in Redditch it was rumoured they had practiced in our school. I also have happy memories of listening to Led Zeppelin 1 & 2 at a friends house on many days during the school hols of '70.

I had assumed the photo had been taken near the houses opposite Jenson Parts & Service in Kelvin Way but maybe it is Dudley.

I'm merely speculating the Eve Hill towers are in the background. I'd need a magnifying glass or a sharper image to know for certain.

You probably know of John's ties to Redditch: at birth the Bonham's resided in Hunt End...John and his brother Mick briefly attended Wilton House, as "posh fee-paying school" as children, and fought daily with boys from the local state school, St. Stephens...at age 11 John attended Lodge Farm County Secondary School...and apparently, circa 1958, John, with a knack for carpentry, lent a hand to the building of a greenhouse for his school...I doubt it still exists but perhaps a photo could be found...in 1965 John was employed at Osbourne's, a clothing company owned by a high-class tailor...as I understand it his Mum owned a convienence store in Redditch but I've been unable to confirm any further details on that thus far...

Thanks that is great info - maybe the practice session(s) at Walkwood School which I attended between '66-'71 are true. It's now a middle school I think but was then a scondary school taking 11-16yrs. Hunt End is just up the road from there.

Thanks that is great info - maybe the practice session(s) at Walkwood School which I attended between '66-'71 are true. It's now a middle school I think but was then a scondary school taking 11-16yrs. Hunt End is just up the road from there.

Bonzo's father Jack purchased his first full drum kit for him in '63. He was 15 years old and presumably practicing like a madman. Later the same year Bonzo met 23-year-old professional drummer Bill Harvey at the local youth club and Harvey provided him some informal lessons. By '64 Bonzo started gigging, first with Terry Webb & The Spiders (later with The Senators, The Nicky James Movement, the soul group Locomotive, The Crawling Kings (with Robert Plant), A Way of Life, Steve Brett & The Mavericks and more). In '65 Bonzo often took the train to & from a drum shop in Manchester where he'd perform demonstrations for a few pounds.

Edited to add:

I see you are posting from Swadlincote. Did you know Robert Plant said the Swadlincote Rink was his first gig?!

Quite true...his first gig was there in '62 when Robert filled in for a school friend who was ill the night of the show.

Decades later - Oct 31,1999 to be precise - Robert drove through Swadlincote on a quest to revisit Swadlincote Rink, only to learn it was longer standing. Robert good-naturedly voiced his chagrin over the rink's fate onstage that night at the National Forest Folk Festival in Moira, Derbyshire.

Archived