Facebook and issues that come with it

LedZeppfan77

I have not been able to access my account. I tried to get them to send codes like they have before. I clicked on the link for a phone call but no phone call ever comes even though they say they are calling. And they NEVER ANSWER MY EMAILS. Fed up. I only have it because of my daughters and some friends that are far way and just to go with the flow so to speak. Do tell if you have any stories folks. Come on now. I know many of you are on Facebook.

FACEBOOK :coffee::lol:

An old friend from high school recently had her facebook account hacked by her very own 11 year old daughter. She posted a side-view picture of her Mother in labor....on the gurney with her legs spread in the pushing position, with a very painful expression on her face. My jaw dropped in amazement for about 30 seconds....before I pulled a muscle in my gut from laughter.

My best friend from high school is an attorney. He's does random law work for old classmates. I had one of them contact me and tell me to have my friend call him for some legal work. When I told my friend, his reply was, "f*ck him...he owes me a lot of money". About two weeks later the same guy writes me on facebook and asks if I delivered the message. I was in a hurry and flippantly replied, "He wants to see some money". Not really out of line since I've known the guy since I was 10. A couple days later, my attorney friend calls me all pissed off because we've both been threatened by the Mafia for insulting one of the 'family' members. "I know where you live...you forgot who my family is...watch your back....I'll ruin your career." I haven't run in to Guido or Fredo yet, but you never know.

My Facebook time is now down to family pictures and messages, and posting pictures of National Parks.

I have not been able to access my account. I tried to get them to send codes like they have before. I clicked on the link for a phone call but no phone call ever comes even though they say they are calling. And they NEVER ANSWER MY EMAILS. Fed up. I only have it because of my daughters and some friends that are far way and just to go with the flow so to speak. Do tell if you have any stories folks. Come on now. I know many of you are on Facebook.

Rick just set up a new email account and start over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I ran my account for around a year , only using it to enter competitions , then I had problems - they asked for a number - but they did n't call , then they cancelled my account - with no way of reopening it - just a list of probable reasons it may of been closed for - glad they are not running the law courts

Edited by weslgarlic

So, Facebook wants to know:

- where do I work
- where did I go to high school
- which city do I live in
- where did I grow up
- what is my relationship status
pretty intrusive!!

Key word: wants to know. I hardly use it myself and they don't have any of my personal details. If people are willing enough to hand over all their details, and even allow a company to spy on their movements via GPS then more fool them - they can surely have no complaints.

Back in WW2 British propaganda posters used to say "Careless Talk Costs Lives" just today, I was watching this clip and it reminded me of that. I think people share too much these days...

Facebook? What's that?

I did and now a week later I finally get a text code and I am able to get back into my old one. Now I have two.

That makes up for me not having one.

Key word: wants to know. I hardly use it myself and they don't have any of my personal details. If people are willing enough to hand over all their details, and even allow a company to spy on their movements via GPS then more fool them - they can surely have no complaints.

Back in WW2 British propaganda posters used to say "Careless Talk Costs Lives" just today, I was watching this clip and it reminded me of that. I think people share too much these days...

There was also the expression "Loose lips sink ships" back then, too.

But yeah, you've gotta beware of divulging personal info where people can access it...who knows what creepy ex- could come back wreaking havoc in your life?

I don't even have the GPS activated on my phone.

Edited by Strider

Facebook.....never had it, never will!

My wife has been doing some marriage counseling for a few years and says it is one of the biggest causes of divorce currently she sees. Everyone is trying to relive their past glories, or what they perceived them to be! Planted, your take on it seems to be spot on.

Facebook.....never had it, never will!

My wife has been doing some marriage counseling for a few years and says it is one of the biggest causes of divorce currently she sees. Everyone is trying to relive their past glories, or what they perceived them to be! Planted, your take on it seems to be spot on.

I never had a problem with it. I have talked to my daughter who is in another state and her husband and found people I have not seen in 30 years.

I think it can be a good and useful tool when used correctly, that is to keep in touch and possibly network, to make new friends and interact with people thousands of miles away one would normally never meet. Unfortunately it has mostly brought out the worst in many people, isolated millions to a virtual world, and turned this latest generation into a group who must be connected 24/7. It truly saddens me to go to a restaurant or a concert and see couples texting or making video instead of interacting with each other and immersing themselves in the moment. You rarely see people live in the moment, taking in the world around them, and being comfortable within their own skin, with their own thoughts; instead most around us have a phone plastered to their skull or are wildly texting their status on Facebook or tweeting "just took a shit...Paris Hilton has the mud-butt in the stall next to me...YOLO!!!"

I watch Revolution on Monday night (well, the season ended so not anymore) which is about a near future where the earth has lost all power and thus most technology, everything has descended into chaos, and a semi-tribal society has taken the place of government (ok TypeO, quit salivating, I doubt this will happen). Anyway, in this dystopian future people are once again talking to each other and living in the moment. Not saying this is a better environment than present day, however this is a lesson that we need to step back a bit, quit relying so exclusively on technology (irony...as I type this on my Mac), and directly interact with friends and family once again.

So yes, I use Facebook, but in a very limited manner. I rarely post and I keep it mostly to see what my extended family and friends are up to.

• 2 years later...
I won't have and don't want Facebook. If I want to talk to a friend, I'll call them. Or I'll E-mail them. I don't care for social media - especially Facebook. I don't like the CEO. And I like my privacy even more.
He basically gave it away when he admitted in a New Yorker profile that he mocked early Facebook users for trusting him with their personal information. "They trust me — dumb fucks," says Zuckerberg in one of the instant messages, first published by former Valleywag Nicholas Carlson at Silicon Alley Insider, and confirmed by Zuckerberg.

Anyway..

According to CNBC, the pair were picked up over the hot mic after Merkel confronted Zuckerberg on social media posts critical of “the wave of Syrian refugees entering Germany.” <_< 

After being asked about Facebook’s efforts to curtail speech, Zuckerberg stated, “We need to do some work,” confirming he’d already started looking at ways to hinder comments in opposition to Merkel’s immigration stance.

“Are you working on this?” Merkel asked. “Yeah,” Zuckerberg responded before their microphone was cut.

In response to the shocking revelation, media outlets such as Bloomberg immediately leapt to the defense of the tech giant, insinuating that any critique of the German government’s response to the migrant crisis would be “racist” and “xenophobic.”

I think it can be a good and useful tool when used correctly, that is to keep in touch and possibly network, to make new friends and interact with people thousands of miles away one would normally never meet. Unfortunately it has mostly brought out the worst in many people, isolated millions to a virtual world, and turned this latest generation into a group who must be connected 24/7. It truly saddens me to go to a restaurant or a concert and see couples texting or making video instead of interacting with each other and immersing themselves in the moment. You rarely see people live in the moment, taking in the world around them, and being comfortable within their own skin, with their own thoughts; instead most around us have a phone plastered to their skull or are wildly texting their status on Facebook or tweeting "just took a shit...Paris Hilton has the mud-butt in the stall next to me...YOLO!!!"

I watch Revolution on Monday night (well, the season ended so not anymore) which is about a near future where the earth has lost all power and thus most technology, everything has descended into chaos, and a semi-tribal society has taken the place of government (ok TypeO, quit salivating, I doubt this will happen). Anyway, in this dystopian future people are once again talking to each other and living in the moment. Not saying this is a better environment than present day, however this is a lesson that we need to step back a bit, quit relying so exclusively on technology (irony...as I type this on my Mac), and directly interact with friends and family once again.

So yes, I use Facebook, but in a very limited manner. I rarely post and I keep it mostly to see what my extended family and friends are up to.

I've watched Revolution a couple times. Didn't they play Kashmir or something? I also watch Mr. Robot and think something along one of those story lines will probably happen. Suzy Mom will be confused about who and where to share her powdered milk dinner photos with while hunkered down watching the sterno flame thinking about sad emoticons, but at least she'll be debt-free, heh.

I can't tell you how useful FB is in law enforcement.  You tell us your kids names, where they go to school (pics of them in school jerseys or likes of their school).  You tell us your pets, when you are on vacation, your birthdate, your spouse and all your friends.  Some of you show us your car, your house, your latest great thing in your house, etc.  You tell us your fave movies, songs, books, etc.  Real easy to build a psychological profile with all this, and no subpoena needed, you give it willingly!

extremely useful for law breaking people too.  Great, I know where you live, and you're on vacation for two weeks....nice, thanks!  

i have two, both VERY fictional, that I use for research and general trolling activities.  

Frankly, I am stunned how much real personal info people put on FB.

I deleted my Facebook account and started another one under an alias. I was fed up. Fed up with being spyed on, fed up with Facebook encouraging me to spy on others. I don't care if one of my friends commented on something; it's none of my business. On your profile you can write in "None of Facebook's Business" in response to questions. But the biggest problem was just the constant info on what other people were doing. I'm not a voyeur. I don't stalk people. Everyone doesn't have to know everything about everyone they know. It is the creepiest thing ever invented. I use my new account to follow pages to get news on concerts and stuff and I have 2 friends.