Facebook and issues that come with it

LedZeppfan77

I can't tell you how useful FB is in law enforcement.  You tell us your kids names, where they go to school (pics of them in school jerseys or likes of their school).  You tell us your pets, when you are on vacation, your birthdate, your spouse and all your friends.  Some of you show us your car, your house, your latest great thing in your house, etc.  You tell us your fave movies, songs, books, etc.  Real easy to build a psychological profile with all this, and no subpoena needed, you give it willingly!

extremely useful for law breaking people too.  Great, I know where you live, and you're on vacation for two weeks....nice, thanks!  

i have two, both VERY fictional, that I use for research and general trolling activities.  

Frankly, I am stunned how much real personal info people put on FB.

I agree, facebook was created for dumbfucks.  Not only is facebook used by law enforcement, but just about every company one might apply to runs software to mine facebook for information on potential new hires. 

• 2 years later...

I posted a comment about Sharks and the next thing I know I am getting comments on Facefuck.  Unreal.

I mean, lets be honest, some real good has come from it.  I have found long lost friends.  That is a good thing

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

• 5 months later...
On 9/29/2015 at 1:57 PM, in_the_evening said:

I can't tell you how useful FB is in law enforcement.  You tell us your kids names, where they go to school (pics of them in school jerseys or likes of their school).  You tell us your pets, when you are on vacation, your birthdate, your spouse and all your friends.  Some of you show us your car, your house, your latest great thing in your house, etc.  You tell us your fave movies, songs, books, etc.  Real easy to build a psychological profile with all this, and no subpoena needed, you give it willingly!

extremely useful for law breaking people too.  Great, I know where you live, and you're on vacation for two weeks....nice, thanks!  

i have two, both VERY fictional, that I use for research and general trolling activities.  

Frankly, I am stunned how much real personal info people put on FB.

^^^This

Add to that now facial recognition software. Anyone who has posted their person photo on facebook or anywhere else is now KNOWN to every law enforcement agency or any criminal cartel or enterprise too.

Edited by kipper

Recent security breaches and unethical data-sharing led me to decide to delete most of my profile content. Additionally, as of nearly four months ago I stopped actively posting to my profile when I confirmed Facebook now chooses to share all public posts with one's friends. Consequently, I deleted all of my friends. So at this point, my profile only exists for posting to groups I belong to and occasionally commenting outside of Facebook. 

Screw Facebook, it has become some amorphous, all seeing, all knowing entity making the Big Brother of 1984 look tame by comparison (insofar as information gathering and use). When a platform can affect the outcome of elections to the degree Facebook can, in a manner which THEY can control, that there is some seriously scary shit.

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Recent security breaches and unethical data-sharing led me to decide to delete most of my profile content. Additionally, as of nearly four months ago I stopped actively posting to my profile when I confirmed Facebook now chooses to share all public posts with one's friends. Consequently, I deleted all of my friends. So at this point, my profile only exists for posting to groups I belong to and occasionally commenting outside of Facebook. 

I read where employers look for people's facebook pages and then determine if they will hire them.  An article said that if you don't have a facebook page an employer can find they will assume that you do anyway and that it is either anonymous or locked down for a reason which is not a positive assumption. Employers will assume then that people have something to hide, so some employment coaches say people should have a facebook page but keep in completely sterile with only neutral content and definitely no access to seeing friends or other associations. Concept is to keep it like a LinkedIn page--- strictly professional and then if they must do social media to that on a separate account.

I also heard some law enforcement agencies demand that potential job candidates provide them with access to their social media during background investigations.

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Screw Facebook, it has become some amorphous, all seeing, all knowing entity making the Big Brother of 1984 look tame by comparison (insofar as information gathering and use). When a platform can affect the outcome of elections to the degree Facebook can, in a manner which THEY can control, that there is some seriously scary shit.

Not to mention it is lame.  Somebody posts a photo of their kids on your friends list and if you don't comment about the "cute kid" a lot these narcissists get butthurt and de-friend you. Plus who really gives a damn about seeing what somebody had for lunch?

Just the lameness is reason enough to pass on that.

I find it a great way to keep in touch with friends and family.  But most of my posts on FB are on a Music & Sound page I created. It's not open to the public, invite only and I have set it so posts can not be shared. If I feel the urge to go into detail about the amount of beer I've consumed or the quality of herb I smoked at a show, I figured a easy accessed public place wouldn't be a wise place to post...lol

This is a good example of why i haven't and will never have twatbook.

Me and Mrs CP went to a friends house over Christmas for dinner. It was a sort of house warming and I duly obliged with a beef Rendang. A couple of days later at the Golf club a few people came up to me and were alarmed at how much we drank. It seemed that the said hosts gushed on FB that we drank endless bottles of Champagne,wine beer and port. I was horrified to find this out.To make matters worse they posted a picture pre evening.

Fortunately they didn't mention the blunt of green I sparked up mid evening. To be honest we were pretty much fine when we got our taxi in the early hours so I was a tad confused on the amount of alcohol we allegedly drank. 

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Me and Mrs CP went to a friends house over Christmas for dinner. It was a sort of house warming and I duly obliged with a beef Rendang. A couple of days later at the Golf club a few people came up to me and were alarmed at how much we drank. It seemed that the said hosts gushed on FB that we drank endless bottles of Champagne,wine beer and port. I was horrified to find this out.To make matters worse they posted a picture pre evening.

Fortunately they didn't mention the blunt of green I sparked up mid evening. To be honest we were pretty much fine when we got our taxi in the early hours so I was a tad confused on the amount of alcohol we allegedly drank. 

I am a tad confused why a friend would mention something such as this on FB or anywhere else. Seems very jr high'ish and downright inappropriate if you ask me. It's one thing to post a picture of friends enjoying a wee tipple with the comment, "had fun with the crew last night..." compared to an exclusive picture of two people and saying, "look at these two drunkie bastards...drank everything which was not nailed down..."

Talk about poor form

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yeah I’m with you. Had people post pictures, etc w/o our permission a while back and put an end to that shit real quick. Never have been an active participant, never will be.

12 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I am a tad confused why a friend would mention something such as this on FB or anywhere else. Seems very jr high'ish and downright inappropriate if you ask me. It's one thing to post a picture of friends enjoying a wee tipple with the comment, "had fun with the crew last night..." compared to an exclusive picture of two people and saying, "look at these two drunkie bastards...drank everything which was not nailed down..."

Talk about poor form

Sorry as sometimes happens this read not entirely correct. They didn't post a picture of just  us two, it was the 6 of us pre dinner. Then they posted a picture of the amount of bottles and basically spelled it out. It went something like this: "What a night that was. 2 Bottles of Champagne, 3 Bottles of Prosecco, 4 bottles of white and 4 red wines, 10 Beers, and 3/4 bottle of Port.  Oh and me and Mrs CP were not drunk.

Oh and it was poor form

Edited by chillumpuffer

12 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Sorry as sometimes happens this read not entirely correct. They didn't post a picture of just  us two, it was the 6 of us pre dinner. Then they posted a picture of the amount of bottles and basically spelled it out. It went something like this: "What a night that was. 2 Bottles of Champagne, 3 Bottles of Prosecco, 4 bottles of white and 4 red wines, 10 Beers, and 3/4 bottle of Port.  Oh and me and Mrs CP were not drunk.

Oh and it was poor form

Handle it...

Edited by kipper

Facebook is fine for people who make good decisions and works completely against those who make bad ones. It's that simple. If you're paranoid about it, then you must be worried about being exposed. And who's gonna complain about employers looking at your page? The real you should be evaluated, not some bullshit you spew for an interview. Make racist or sexist remarks on a social network? Then you don't deserve a job.

But yeah, apart from catching up to old friends I only use mine for groups and the market.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Facebook is fine for people who make good decisions and works completely against those who make bad ones. It's that simple. If you're paranoid about it, then you must be worried about being exposed. And who's gonna complain about employers looking at your page? The real you should be evaluated, not some bullshit you spew for an interview. Make racist or sexist remarks on a social network? Then you don't deserve a job.

But yeah, apart from catching up to old friends I only use mine for groups and the market.

The problem is much greater than that in regard to potential employers viewing your page. I know a couple of HR directors and they do indeed check the FB pages of potential employees, however, they also take into account what your friends and family say and post and look at their pages as well. So, you are being judged not simply by your actions and posting, but on those you have absolutely no control over. Plus, don't even think about posting anything political, both of my HR friends are directed by corporate to not even consider an applicant who is a democrat (for one company) or republican (for the other). Sorry, but that is a line too far. The only thing an employer should take into consideration are how well you can perform your duties, if you have criminal or bad prior history, or any other employment history. We now live in an age whereby HR not only checks FB, but is also pulling your credit. If your report shows you have too little debt and good credit, you will not be considered except as a last resort. Same with an applicant who has too much debt. They want the "goldilocks candidate," a person who has enough debt that they will be tied to the company and subject to their whims, but neither too much for fear of employee stupidity, nor too little for fear of an unencumbered employee who is not forced to take shit in order to pay the bills.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:26 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Oh and it was poor form

That's it for six people? I have a VRBO (vacation rental) and had a guest of one mother and two children of 8 & 11 years respectively who killed off five, gallon jugs of vodka, another five of rum, two gin, and one Tequila plus, about 60 bottles of beer and one bottle of cheap wine as a bonus. Either that mother and children have serious drinking issues or there is more to this than initially reported 🙂

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

The only thing an employer should take into consideration are how well you can perform your duties, if you have criminal or bad prior history, or any other employment history. We now live in an age whereby HR not only

No, that's not true. How you act outside of work should affect how your employer treats you. Even if you're not on the clock, you are still a representation of your place of employment. This has been the case since..forever. It's called code of conduct. A kindergarten teacher who runs a cam show on the weekend shouldn't be a kindergarten teacher. And if they're dumb enough to post an advertisement of their show on social media then they deserve to lose their job. 

One thing you have to realize about social media; it's you choosing to put your personal life on display. It's not any type of privacy invasion for other people to look at it (even an employer). Personal responsibility is a real thing. Don't blame others for your stupid actions.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Make racist or sexist remarks on a social network? Then you don't deserve a job.

…but fascist social justice declarations such as that one are acceptable? The First Amendment of the United States Constitution establishes an American citizen's rights to say whatever they wish!

22 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

…but fascist social justice declarations such as that one are acceptable? The First Amendment of the United States Constitution establishes an American citizen's rights to say whatever they wish!

You obviously don't understand how the Constitution or the law works, my friend.

12 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

No, that's not true. How you act outside of work should affect how your employer treats you. Even if you're not on the clock, you are still a representation of your place of employment. This has been the case since..forever. It's called code of conduct. A kindergarten teacher who runs a cam show on the weekend shouldn't be a kindergarten teacher. And if they're dumb enough to post an advertisement of their show on social media then they deserve to lose their job. 

One thing you have to realize about social media; it's you choosing to put your personal life on display. It's not any type of privacy invasion for other people to look at it (even an employer). Personal responsibility is a real thing. Don't blame others for your stupid actions.

Wow, unbelievable. Somebody earns a little extra by taking their top off and they should lose their job, that's a bit harsh. As long as it's not illegal  nobody should be able to interfere in what someone does in their private lives regardless of what their 9 to 5 is.

20 minutes ago, JTM said:

Wow, unbelievable. Somebody earns a little extra by taking their top off and they should lose their job, that's a bit harsh. As long as it's not illegal  nobody should be able to interfere in what someone does in their private lives regardless of what their 9 to 5 is.

As long as it's not based on discrimination, your employer should be able to make whatever decision suits them. Kindergarten teachers can't also work a strip club on the weekend. Jesus, does that really need clarifying?