Facebook and issues that come with it

LedZeppfan77

I still can't figure out why people left MySpace for Facebook. The algorithms MySpace used were light years ahead of Facebook which has always looked and functioned like shit. MySpace had better usability, better features, did not have spam-bots, and to my knowledge, did not sell user data.

When Facebook first came out I thought this will go nowhere, looks like shit, functions like shit, and MySpace made Facebook look like the 18th century version of a real crappy MySpace.

Anyway, I never had a problem on MySpace, Facebook is a cluster f***. 

Facebook sucks

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

I still can't figure out why people left MySpace for Facebook. The algorithms MySpace used were light years ahead of Facebook which has always looked and functioned like shit. MySpace had better usability, better features, did not have spam-bots, and to my knowledge, did not sell user data.

When Facebook first came out I thought this will go nowhere, looks like shit, functions like shit, and MySpace made Facebook look like the 18th century version of a real crappy MySpace.

Anyway, I never had a problem on MySpace, Facebook is a cluster f***. 

Facebook sucks

When I was in high school there was a term we used to use which I believe best describes Facebook..

CIRCLE JERK

... and not the band 'Circle Jerks'--- which was great.

354?cb=20140426215608

• 1 month later...

You work with people for thirty plus years often knowing little about them beyond work, then comes retirement or redundancy maybe. So you're on facebook. you find yourself getting or sending out "friend" requests to former work acquaintances, then what do you know, you finally find out when they have a birthday, cos facebook sends out the annual reminder, it seems so fake but you feel obligated to respond, weird isn't it.

Edited by JTM

8 hours ago, JTM said:

You work with people for thirty plus years often knowing little about them beyond work, then comes retirement or redundancy maybe. So you're on facebook. you find yourself getting or sending out "friend" requests to former work acquaintances, then what do you know, you finally find out when they have a birthday, cos facebook sends out the annual reminder, it seems so fake but you feel obligated to respond, weird isn't it.

The vast majority of people I'd be even remotely interested in connecting with or hearing from are all dead. Occasionally, I do use the Facebook messenger feature to chat with fellow collectors or whatever but for the most part I only use Facebook as a news feed for the groups I'm interested in. Posting pictures of what I had for lunch, sharing cat memes or birthday wishes-- I have got no use for any of that bullshit.    

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The vast majority of people I'd be even remotely interested in connecting with or hearing from are all dead. Occasionally, I do use the Facebook messenger feature to chat with fellow collectors or whatever but for the most part I only use Facebook as a news feed for the groups I'm interested in. Posting pictures of what I had for lunch, sharing cat memes or birthday wishes-- I have got no use for any of that bullshit.    

Indeed, the groups are the most useful thing about Facebook, messenger for contact with family or friends in far away places, the rest, as you say is bullshit.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, SteveAJones said:

Two of my best friends are gone too.  So you have company Steve.  Im 61 going on 100.  Facebook is good for finding people you have lost touch with.   I have found some that way, including this girl I was had over heels about as a teenager.  I have her on my friends list now.  Flirting with danger as usual.  I found this other guy we used to play football with as teens and he went to my high school  I was shocked to learn he was gay. Nothing against them but I was really shocked because I never saw that.  He did not reply to my message.  I am wondering if you have to friend someone to have them see the message you send them?  Or will they see it no matter?  

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Two of my best friends are gone too.  So you have company Steve.  Im 61 going on 100.  Facebook is good for finding people you have lost touch with.   I have found some that way, including this girl I was had over heels about as a teenager.  I have her on my friends list now.  Flirting with danger as usual.  I found this other guy we used to play football with as teens and he went to my high school  I was shocked to learn he was gay. Nothing against them but I was really shocked because I never saw that.  He did not reply to my message.  I am wondering if you have to friend someone to have them see the message you send them?  Or will they see it no matter?  

Well, to answer your question if you are NOT connected (friends) to someone on Facebook and you send them a message they will NOT see it UNLESS they check their Message Requests folder, which is where messages from unconnected members are delivered. Unfortunately, FB does not send them a notice that a message request has been received or an icon that there is a message in there. So unless and until they check that specific message folder on their own they'll never see it or know it was sent. I always felt this was something FB could improve on. The only way around it is if you to their wall and it allows public comment posts you can make a public comment post to them: "Hey, I sent you a message. Please check your message requests folder".

I actually deleted all of my "friend" connections because, and you may not know this, Facebook now shares all of your public posts with all of your friends. This is the sort of thing people hate Zuckerberg for, this relentless over sharing of information across Facebook. So for example, if you go to any public page or public group site on Facebook, say one for Alyssa Milano, and you post "Great tits, no brains" guess what that just showed up in the news feed for all of your friends and family. People are far too easily offended nowadays and I do not need the aggravation. I do enjoy making public posts though, so the only way to do so without every connection receiving them was to sever all those connections. 

^^^

One more thing about Zuckerberg and oversharing on Facebook. Ever notice that "Recommended Friends" listing? Well, when you connect with someone everyone they are connected to will eventually see you as a Recommended Friend, and it will even tell them you have a mutual friend. If you're married or in a committed relationship, good luck explaining all your "flirting with danger" friend connections Facebook recommends to your significant other. Again, just another example of Facebook compelling people to over share information for the sake of increasing site usage and in so doing advertising revenue. I hate what that twerp has done to society. 

On 6/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, SteveAJones said:

Well, to answer your question if you are NOT connected (friends) to someone on Facebook and you send them a message they will NOT see it UNLESS they check their Message Requests folder, which is where messages from unconnected members are delivered. Unfortunately, FB does not send them a notice that a message request has been received or an icon that there is a message in there. So unless and until they check that specific message folder on their own they'll never see it or know it was sent. I always felt this was something FB could improve on. The only way around it is if you to their wall and it allows public comment posts you can make a public comment post to them: "Hey, I sent you a message. Please check your message requests folder".

I actually deleted all of my "friend" connections because, and you may not know this, Facebook now shares all of your public posts with all of your friends. This is the sort of thing people hate Zuckerberg for, this relentless over sharing of information across Facebook. So for example, if you go to any public page or public group site on Facebook, say one for Alyssa Milano, and you post "Great tits, no brains" guess what that just showed up in the news feed for all of your friends and family. People are far too easily offended nowadays and I do not need the aggravation. I do enjoy making public posts though, so the only way to do so without every connection receiving them was to sever all those connections. 

Well thanks for that info.  Now I know he more than likely never saw the message and DID NOT IGNORE ME AS I FIRST THOUGHT.   So your info was very useful.  I doubt I will try to contact him again though. And it is annoying all of the friend requests.  It says "You may know this person""  And it says how many common friends you share.  In most cases, not all, I do know who the person is and do not know them personally.  I am very very picky as to who I allow on my friends list.  I do not want to be bombed with Trump propoganda and I am not sure they want to see Led Zeppelin all over their Facebook page.  I now belong to every Zeppein site out there.  Thanks again

On 6/21/2019 at 10:11 AM, JTM said:

I have an FB friend who got a one month ban for posting this. Maybe Facebook doesn't like the colour Orange.

a.jpg

Call me crazy but I just don't see a damn thing wrong with that cover, in fact, it is perfect. I would take that over the HOTH cover any day B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Facebook and Apple are in a fight. Your browsing history is in the middle - https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-apple-are-fight-your-browsing-history-middle-n1251612

I support Apple's side of this argument. Anything that reduces Facebook's anti-privacy shenanigans is a good thing.

I got some scam warning last night, at least I assume it was as my Facebook account is still up and running, saying I would be shut down.  My cell phone has been hacked, some asshole just never quits with messages, like "your package is ready" or "you have been approved for your loan" and crap like that. I am getting like 300 emails in a half a day!  So sick of it. But I have so much linked to my damn phone. Facebook I do not use as much as some other family members who seem to live on it.  I have deleted accounts due to political fights.  LOL.  What a surprise.