Heroes

fishhead

Sometimes celebrities like actors, musicians and sports figures get so much of our time and adulation. I think these four men should get a little today.......

At 4:30 pm on this day in 1960, Ezell Blair Jr., David Richmond, Joseph McNeill, and Franklin McCain, all students at A&T University, sat down at a segregated lunch counter in a Greensboro Woolworth's store, ordered coffee, and stayed in their seats, despite being refused service, until the store closed. 5 days later, over 500 students filled that store and others in downtown Greensboro. From there the sit-ins spread across the state and across the South, transforming the Civil Rights movement. Think about those four young men today as you drink your coffee. We owe them much.

post-18747-0-29728400-1359823671_thumb.j

Sometimes celebrities like actors, musicians and sports figures get so much of our time and adulation. I think these four men should get a little today.......

At 4:30 pm on this day in 1960, Ezell Blair Jr., David Richmond, Joseph McNeill, and Franklin McCain, all students at A&T University, sat down at a segregated lunch counter in a Greensboro Woolworth's store, ordered coffee, and stayed in their seats, despite being refused service, until the store closed. 5 days later, over 500 students filled that store and others in downtown Greensboro. From there the sit-ins spread across the state and across the South, transforming the Civil Rights movement. Think about those four young men today as you drink your coffee. We owe them much.

Right on. Nothing wrong with appreciating entertainment, but the real heroes in this world work for the meaningful progression of civilization.

Well said! The lunch counter is now at the Smithsonian Museum of American History and I always stop and marvel at the courage of those people who were brave enough to put themselves out there in real danger to make the world a better place.

Well said! The lunch counter is now at the Smithsonian Museum of American History and I always stop and marvel at the courage of those people who were brave enough to put themselves out there in real danger to make the world a better place.

Thank you and I agree that their actions along with those of Rosa Park and Martin Luther King and others took real courage. And so many other unsung heroes who stood up to oppression and injustice. Imagine the courage of that little girl in Afghanistan who was shot just because she spoke out for girls having an education.

Archived