Sloppy Jones

Dallas Knebs

This thread is funny, because his "sloppy" play was rarely noticed and/or identified, even though he pushed the limits as much as the others. Jonesy Rules! :yesnod:

It seems like more of a "John Paul Jones appreciation" discussion than a list of his fairly infrequent mistakes, for sure. And that says something right there.

Musically as far as Zeppelin goes, if Page was the brains, and Bonham the heart there's no question JPJ was the soul.

It seems like more of a "John Paul Jones appreciation" discussion than a list of his fairly infrequent mistakes, for sure. And that says something right there.

Musically as far as Zeppelin goes, if Page was the brains, and Bonham the heart there's no question JPJ was the soul.

Robert might've been the erogenous areas, considering his sex-driven lyricism and quoted desire to sleep with the audience on a nightly basis

Robert might've been the erogenous areas, considering his sex-driven lyricism and quoted desire to sleep with the audience on a nightly basis

Yeah, Jimmy = brains, Bonzo = heart, Jones = soul, Plant = groin! :lol:

I think ultimately what the last four comments boil down to is this:

If Page was the brains, Bonham the heart and Jonesy the soul, Robert was the band's conscience, which is equally as important.

Very true, other than Jones, Robert seemed to have certainly been the next most level-headed member.

It's all a person really needs, isn't it? Something to think with, something to live with, something to love with, and something to fuck with! :D

Somewhere food is missing in this calculation. :)

I think ultimately what the last four comments boil down to is this:

If Page was the brains, Bonham the heart and Jonesy the soul, Robert was the band's conscience, which is equally as important.

I'm no expert, but from what I can gather this is true, particularly in the latter years.

Very true, other than Jones, Robert seemed to have certainly been the next most level-headed member.

And ya gotta admire that. Consider Robert Plant was just a kid from the sticks, had the ambition, sure, but I don't think any of them had any idea they'd end up being the biggest band of the 70's. Not to say it didn't go to their heads a little bit :lol: (Page in particular really started buying into his own hype) but overall Jones, Plant and Bonham were really just 'regular' kinda guys. I think aside from his vocal prowess one of Robert Plant's great talents is to be able to switch on and go out there and be 'Robert Plant' three hours a night (Mick Jagger is very adept at that as well), off stage and at home, totally different. I mean, chrissakes, John Paul Jones is still married to the same woman he was before he hit it big, that's rare enough for anybody, never mind bass player in one of the biggest bands in the world. That says something about their personalities right there...

Word "sloppy" comes to mind when thinking some performances by the great late Paul Kossoff (RIP). There´s an audio bootleg from 1972 where audience member shouts somewhat jokingly to Koss; "Paul, you´re out of tune!" and Koss comments back "I´m always out of tune..." and starts tuning his Les Paul. ^_^

Word "sloppy" comes to mind when thinking some performances by the great late Paul Kossoff (RIP). There´s an audio bootleg from 1972 where audience member shouts somewhat jokingly to Koss; "Paul, you´re out of tune!" and Koss comments back "I´m always out of tune..." and starts tuning his Les Paul. ^_^

That reminds me of my best friend, a virtuoso guitar player since the age of fourteen or so (he teaches classical guitar for a living)...it's almost a running joke now, but for thirty something years, whenever he's over and we're listening to Zeppelin or Hendrix he has to turn towards my stereo speakers and yells out, "TUNE YER FUCKING GUITAR!!!!" :lol::lol::lol:

I actually define 'sloppy' as wrong notes, missed notes, playing too fast, that kinda thing. Bad technique. You can be out of tune and still play with perfect technique.

We had an interesting session at studio last night, as our producer informed me that I was playing out of time, I informed him that "yes, and I did not tune up either!" Silence with blank looks and roar of laughter :D At least we got the sessions geared up and job done, with success and I respect our producer all the more now! ^_^

That reminds me of my best friend, a virtuoso guitar player since the age of fourteen or so (he teaches classical guitar for a living)...it's almost a running joke now, but for thirty something years, whenever he's over and we're listening to Zeppelin or Hendrix he has to turn towards my stereo speakers and yells out, "TUNE YER FUCKING GUITAR!!!!" :lol::lol: :lol:

I actually define 'sloppy' as wrong notes, missed notes, playing too fast, that kinda thing. Bad technique. You can be out of tune and still play with perfect technique.

Were you listening to OtHaFA 1977/07/17 by any chance? :D

That reminds me of my best friend, a virtuoso guitar player since the age of fourteen or so (he teaches classical guitar for a living)...it's almost a running joke now, but for thirty something years, whenever he's over and we're listening to Zeppelin or Hendrix he has to turn towards my stereo speakers and yells out, "TUNE YER FUCKING GUITAR!!!!" :lol::lol: :lol:

Ha! But sometimes THAT's the excruciating part! I have a Jimi boot where ONE string is outa tune, but he tunes up the other FIVE, and now he's out of tune with the bass player! just D'OH!!

(a tuner would've been a GODSEND for those psychedelic-era guitarists!)

As for Jonesy, I'll have to research a bit, but I distinctly remember saying out loud once "Wow, sounds like Jones is HIGH here!" Thinking Texas, '73 or '75.....

Were you listening to OtHaFA 1977/07/17 by any chance? :D

As a joke a few years back I sent my friend a CD I made of some of Page's 'greatest misses'...naturally "Over The Hills" from Seattle made the cut, along with some other goodies like the beeee-yooou-tee-full version of "White Summer" from 6/4/77 in Chicago where it sounds like Ray Thomas From Scotland had Jimmy's Danelectro tuned to CADGAD :lol: I don't think he was too impressed...

As a joke a few years back I sent my friend a CD I made of some of Page's 'greatest misses'...naturally "Over The Hills" from Seattle made the cut, along with some other goodies like the beeee-yooou-tee-full version of "White Summer" from 6/4/77 in Chicago where it sounds like Ray Thomas From Scotland had Jimmy's Danelectro tuned to CADGAD :lol: I don't think he was too impressed...

I wouldn't be either. I like the '77 White Summers quite a bit, but this one always manages to drive me away. I think it was made up for by the next night though.

I dunno about following orders... :bagoverhead:

... on All My Love Bonham drops out twice because JPJ is leading the song and picking up the speed from verse to verse- Jimmy and Robert didn't pick up the speed then Bonham does a kit check and hops back in on two different occasions. :redcard:

By the time the keys solo comes around JPJ settles in that Bonham isn't going to pick up the meter, I do like Page's freedom on this song. Wish he would have loosened up like this on the recording.

a friend directed me here to Dancing Days where JPJ is a little too eager to jump in... and then does a tug of war with Bonham on who is on the meter and who is not up. Blame it on Nuremburg.

http://starship.gotdns.com/zeppelin/beauty/disp/boot.jsp?R_idx=31

Err, not exactly. Only the first half is Nürnberg...the second half, including "Dancing Days" is Detroit.

I have heard Jones sloppy on occasion...but it is rare. I don't have the exact dates committed to memory, but I have heard Jones stumble and play the odd bum note in some "Rock and Roll", "The Song Remain the Same", "Over the Hills and Far Away", "Achilles Last Stand" and "Kashmir" performances.

Archived