were sabbath just as good on their albums ?

black zeppelin

Were sabbath the only band who could rival zep with their albums? I think zep were deffo the better live band and overall were a better band but as a album band did sabbath match them,I think they did although no way in a million years could sabbath create stairway or kashmir it was out of their comfort zone by a mile

Well I'll start off by saying I think zep are the best band ever,and I will also say as we all know zep wernt just a rock band they spun out into many genres, sabbath are only a heavy rock band so I'll just compare led zeps rockier side to sabbath because theirs no way we can compare sabbaths heavy doom to going to california, I just think sabbath are the only band in the rock genre that can rival and at times better zep, for led zep 4 you have paranoid for led zeps debut you have sabbaths debut and so on, iommi as a guitarist is not jimmy page but boy does he smash and twist those riffs inside out and for me he is the better riff writer and I'll also say by 1973 iommi was a better soloist on record but live jimmy is a much better soloist also jimmy is a much cleverer guitarist and has more vision, the same can be said for jones and butler, jones the more accomplished musician but as a bass player geezer just rocks like no one else, bonham and ward are two amazing drummers to listen to and two very different drummers, now as for ozzy and plant I just relate more to ozzy and I get what he's singing about, ozzy brings it down to reality and that's why I relate to him more, two very different bands with two different images and vibes, for all of zeps classic songs sabbath have just as many in those first 6 albums, in my eyes war pigs is just as spectacular as kashmir or any other zep song, or though it ay in the same league technicaly it rocks just as hard, both amazing bands and I think sabbath only match zep in producing great albums, zep were much better live and were the better musicians, if you put their 8 albums against each other I think it ends up being 4.4 but that's just my opinion, zep and sabbath are my two fav bands and I can never seperate them or try and choose one but in my eyes zep were the best band in the world overall

Comparing them is once again the old apples and oranges story.

Personally i think that vibe-wise Zeppelin covered more emotions than Sabbath, Sabbath works best for me while in a darker mood.

Zep has more of both, light and shade, joy and despair, passion and warfare, to choose from.

Still I do agree that Ozzy's "fuck you" lyrics do make more sense while being in a depressed mood, they are more straightforward at times.

Plant's lyrics make more sense while being horny enough to copulate with the whole planet.

Best records imo:

Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti

Sabbath-Sabotage

Ye definately agree their two completely different bands, and your right about the different moods they both send out, zep are like let's have fun get high and shag all night while sabbath take you on a hellish drug trip through the darker side of life, ozzy is great for bringing it down to street level with his lyrics and how he sings them, plant was like a god, ozzy was your mate who said ay man this is how it is, the two greatest bands ever!!

Well I'll start off by saying I think zep are the best band ever,and I will also say as we all know zep wernt just a rock band they spun out into many genres, sabbath are only a heavy rock band so I'll just compare led zeps rockier side to sabbath because theirs no way we can compare sabbaths heavy doom to going to california, I just think sabbath are the only band in the rock genre that can rival and at times better zep, for led zep 4 you have paranoid for led zeps debut you have sabbaths debut and so on, iommi as a guitarist is not jimmy page but boy does he smash and twist those riffs inside out and for me he is the better riff writer and I'll also say by 1973 iommi was a better soloist on record but live jimmy is a much better soloist also jimmy is a much cleverer guitarist and has more vision, the same can be said for jones and butler, jones the more accomplished musician but as a bass player geezer just rocks like no one else, bonham and ward are two amazing drummers to listen to and two very different drummers, now as for ozzy and plant I just relate more to ozzy and I get what he's singing about, ozzy brings it down to reality and that's why I relate to him more, two very different bands with two different images and vibes, for all of zeps classic songs sabbath have just as many in those first 6 albums, in my eyes war pigs is just as spectacular as kashmir or any other zep song, or though it ay in the same league technicaly it rocks just as hard, both amazing bands and I think sabbath only match zep in producing great albums, zep were much better live and were the better musicians, if you put their 8 albums against each other I think it ends up being 4.4 but that's just my opinion, zep and sabbath are my two fav bands and I can never seperate them or try and choose one but in my eyes zep were the best band in the world overall

Sabbath the only band to rival Zeppelin ? I dont think so, Purple for sure. while I love Sabbath I heard someone once compare them like this, Sabbath was like a slow plodding truck while Purple was like a starship

I can honestly say that I have never heard anything of Black Sabbath to justify me buying one of their albums. I have Paranoid but that's on a compilation album. That is just my opinion I also don't have any Deep Purple for the same reason. Whereas I have all Zepps studio albums.

My friend you have missed out on some good music by ditching Purple

Always liked Sabbath. I remember being really freaked out when I heard the opener from the 1st Album when I was young. Tremendous. In fact I still rate them in my top 3 gigs of all time and that says something as I saw them in 1978.

I will agree with my Dutch friend Sabatoge is an absolute killer

If Black Sabbath can record an album classed as a reunion album without original drummer Bill Ward ,who is still alive, Then why can't Led Zeppelin record an album with replacement drummer Jason Bonham in place of his deceased father .

maybe because Sabbath with it's many line-up's or original group members projects have not strayed too far from their original Sabbath sound ,whereas Led Zep and its solo member projects especially Plant's have been more varied

To zep head, I love deep purple but they never matched zep or sabbath album wise although they did do some awesome albums, they wernt as consistent as zep or sabbath although their technicaly they were second to none, purple pushed zep as a live band definately and some might say they were even better, purple were better than sabbath live most of the time

I like both bands a lot.

There's no such thing as a best band ever, IMO. I just enjoy the music and think both bands created something timeless.

I love Deep Purple, too.

Still I do agree that Ozzy's "fuck you" lyrics do make more sense while being in a depressed mood, they are more straightforward at times.

Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics. Ozzy came up with ideas and themes for Geezer to work with and Ozzy also came up with the vocal melodies.

^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, that's true that Geezer wrote most of em, I should have stated it differently.......Sabbath lyrics aren't the most erotic and/or romantic lyrics in the universe.

I love both bands, it depends on my moodswing what I prefer to listen to.

Sabbath only did two covers ever, and this is one of the best covers ever imo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YDCUGKslx0 The Warning is the cover!

That maybe true on albums , but they have done at least 2 more covers live to my knowledge

Black Sabbath - Blue Suede Shoes (Live at the Beat Club)

Black Sabbath - Smoke on the Water- IanGillan(Live83)

"Evil Woman (Don’t Play Your Games With Me)" is a song written and recorded by Minneapolis-based band Crow that appeared on their 1969 album Crow Music. It was covered in 1970 by Black Sabbath and was released as their first single (also known as "Evil Woman" simply). The song also appeared on Sabbath's debut album later that year.

That maybe true on albums , but they have done at least 2 more covers live to my knowledge

Black Sabbath - Blue Suede Shoes (Live at the Beat Club)

Black Sabbath - Smoke on the Water- IanGillan(Live83)

Yes I ment on their albums, my bad. And Ozzy era Sabbath.

"Evil Woman (Don’t Play Your Games With Me)" is a song written and recorded by Minneapolis-based band Crow that appeared on their 1969 album Crow Music. It was covered in 1970 by Black Sabbath and was released as their first single (also known as "Evil Woman" simply). The song also appeared on Sabbath's debut album later that year.

Thats the other one.

Evil Woman is a Great track.. Funny it's not on some US pressings of their 1st album... Wicked World is in it's place.

Newer cd releases have both tracks.

Blue Suede Shoes was the band just screwing around getting camera angles and sound levels together for a special they were filming. It's pretty bad and wasn't meant to get out.

Tony Iommi is a huge Shadows fan from his childhood and the band played Apache live a few times in 1989

Headless Cross tour..

But to answer the question "were Sabbath as good a studio band as LZ"? I'd think even Sabbath themselves would say no! Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were older and far more experienced in the studio than Sabbath.. Black Sabbath's 1st album was recorded in 8 hours, Paranoid in something like 4 days.. so studio excellence wasn't what they were about.... at least not in the beginning.

But they captured their sound as good as anybody.

I'd put Pink Floyd up next to Zeppelin as an amazing studio band though.

I also don't think sabbath were as technicaly gifted as zep in the studio but I think the final product of their first 6 albums stands up to the zep albums, pink floyd were very gifted in studio along with a few other bands, sabbath just as had a raw talent to produce great albums, you can name a number of classic sabbath songs and they may not be technicaly brilliant but they are some of the greatest heavy rock songs you will ever hear, its obvious that sabbath looked up to zep but I think zep looked down at sabbath, robert plant on numerous occasions has slated sabbath, completely differant bands but sabbath definately have just as many awesome songs as zep do

Archived