bedroom decor - what is your style?

slave to zep

Slave to Zep - the neutral palate you chose is beautiful.

I never jumped on the piles of pillows bandwagon but did invest in two European pillows. These big, square pillows placed against a headboard provide great backing for sleeping pillows. After years of deep and moody jewel colours, I switched to crisp white linens with pale blue accents. Have a quilt in pale blue and white over the duvet. Painted my entire room pale pale blue with white trim and baseboards. Then refinished two miss-matched dressers in the same pale blue and white with porcelain white pulls. Important to always have a bit of black to ground any palate; in my case it's my bed frame (wrought iron, canopy) and modern black metal long, low shelving unit anchor the space. I got adventurous a year ago and bought for pennies a Louis XVI reproduction armchair and reupholstered the deck, seat cushion and back in a pale aqua fabric with French bee pattern, and painted the wooden arms, legs and frame black. The monochromatic palate is calm and that's what I was after.

thankyou, shadecatcher. i'm happy with what i bought. i'm going to look for a grey/duck-egg throw blanket for my armchair and foot of the bed. maybe curtains too eventually......

yours sounds beautiful, any pics?

Since I have a really small room, I just have a twin bed. Which is the most comfortable bed...ever I think. I am also planning on getting a new computer desk in the future. I'd really like a hutch of some type. My Grandpa gave me the night stand. I absolutely love it. :)

Yes, I love hello kitty..

very sweet! is that quilt pattern called wedding ring? love it!

thankyou, shadecatcher. i'm happy with what i bought. i'm going to look for a grey/duck-egg throw blanket for my armchair and foot of the bed. maybe curtains too eventually......

yours sounds beautiful, any pics?

Good choice - I think the duck-egg colour is very classic. Not sure where you are, but Pier One in USA/Canada had solid duck-egg colour curtains in a heavy cotton twill with horizontal tucks in a band 1/3 up from bottom of the panels to break up the vertical. I got them on sale and have them in that bedroom. I don't have any photos just now - my rooms are currently being pulled apart in advance of a move however I am going to photograph all my rooms once I have the house staged.

lol. i have never understood putting 10 pillows on, just to throw them on the floor at night.....

The pillow bedscape was obviously devised by a designer who did not have a cat.

That is a wedding ring quilt design on Led Zep Girl's bed. Very nice one too.

My design issues have always been which dominate one to adopt. If something is well designed and aesthetically pleasing in palate and form, I like it. At times I've wanted to have a Morocco-inspired living room with rich warm colours and Kilim carpets, classic and tailored, or mid century modern (but not teak). I think it's normal for your style sense to evolve over time and what colours you want to live with, too. Anyone else here struggle with a style?

Good choice - I think the duck-egg colour is very classic. Not sure where you are, but Pier One in USA/Canada had solid duck-egg colour curtains in a heavy cotton twill with horizontal tucks in a band 1/3 up from bottom of the panels to break up the vertical. I got them on sale and have them in that bedroom. I don't have any photos just now - my rooms are currently being pulled apart in advance of a move however I am going to photograph all my rooms once I have the house staged.

i'm in australia :)

i'll watch out for the pics!

My design issues have always been which dominate one to adopt. If something is well designed and aesthetically pleasing in palate and form, I like it. At times I've wanted to have a Morocco-inspired living room with rich warm colours and Kilim carpets, classic and tailored, or mid century modern (but not teak). I think it's normal for your style sense to evolve over time and what colours you want to live with, too. Anyone else here struggle with a style?

i've always loved white, but having kids for the last 26 years, i never did. but i also love the rich colours like deep purples/greens/blues together. i had some curtains like that once, but hubby said it looked too much like a turkish brothel, lol

i've always loved white, but having kids for the last 26 years, i never did. but i also love the rich colours like deep purples/greens/blues together. i had some curtains like that once, but hubby said it looked too much like a turkish brothel, lol

Turkish brothel haha. If my ex said that I'd ask him how he would know that : ) Same here re white and the kids. Even today I keep thinking I can't have white furniture.

very pretty, annie. what do you think you will change to?

thanks, I was thinking of something with rich colours/Moroccan but am also worried about the thin line between boudoir and brothel ;), has to be done really well I think! Won't be just yet as our room is back of the queue after my kid's rooms..

I guess I would describe mine as 30's Tropical Plantation. I have my great grandmothers waterfall dresser and armoire. Found a headboard to match and the hubby bought me a vanity dresser with the big round mirror in the same style. Made my bedspread and dust ruffle. The room is painted two tone in gold colors and has botanical decor. Think Casablanca maybe. It needs a little finish work still but much more comfortable than the builder white walls I lived with for too long.

thanks, I was thinking of something with rich colours/Moroccan but am also worried about the thin line between boudoir and brothel ;), has to be done really well I think! Won't be just yet as our room is back of the queue after my kid's rooms..

i know what you mean - we always put ourselves last :)

I guess I would describe mine as 30's Tropical Plantation. I have my great grandmothers waterfall dresser and armoire. Found a headboard to match and the hubby bought me a vanity dresser with the big round mirror in the same style. Made my bedspread and dust ruffle. The room is painted two tone in gold colors and has botanical decor. Think Casablanca maybe. It needs a little finish work still but much more comfortable than the builder white walls I lived with for too long.

wow, casablanca! i love older stuff, and it's usually made so much better than new :)

yesterday i took some stuff to a charity store, and had a look around. i founda perfect white wooden shelf, a blue and white lamp, a cute replica old-style dolls pram, and a stack of cushions ( these were new, they sell second hand as well as new ), all the colours i needed for my new room!

it's looking great! just need to get a throw and maybe a floor rug, and i am looking for a beach type print to hang.

Julie, those are all lovely bedrooms you gave the links to. I like the first one, the San Marco, but also the second one does have that little splash of color with the pillows which is nice too.

What you went with sounds like the perfect combination. :)

I collected quilts for awhile, so I change the bed cover depending on the season, or sometimes my mood, lol. One tip I discovered in the last couple years is I will never use any sheets but Vera Wang Egyptian Cotton Sheets. They were a little more money than the other name brands and when you wash them they aren't wrinkle free. However....they are like sleeping on a cloud. So crisp, and comfortable and they always feel cool too.

Aw, incense is a sweet touch.

From your picture I'd expect hockey sticks and a giant equipment bag that can't be opened without wearing a gas mask.

You forgot to mention the framed poster of Jim Kelly and the wall mounted bank of tv's that include every ESPN channel.

My bedroom is a bit rustic style. My bed is a mattress on top of thick plywood with four pieces of tree rounds as bed posts. Blankets are a comforter, a hand knitted cover my niece made and a hand made llama wool blanket (very warm). Over my bed I have two 8x10 oil paintings from my friend Betty and a reproduction painting of the Brooklyn Bridge. A pretty plain dresser and nightstand. This is one of the oil paintings of Mt. Rainier. She did it from a photograph at age 75 or so. :^)

post-503-0-56745600-1360798336_thumb.jpg

My bedroom is a bit rustic style. My bed is a mattress on top of thick plywood with four pieces of tree rounds as bed posts. Blankets are a comforter, a hand knitted cover my niece made and a hand made llama wool blanket (very warm). Over my bed I have two 8x10 oil paintings from my friend Betty and a reproduction painting of the Brooklyn Bridge. A pretty plain dresser and nightstand. This is one of the oil paintings of Mt. Rainier. She did it from a photograph at age 75 or so. :^)

love the idea of the tree rounds!

great painting. reminds me of the waltons tv show - i've been watching the series.

love the idea of the tree rounds!

great painting. reminds me of the waltons tv show - i've been watching the series.

Good night John Boy! What a great show that was.

Interesting bedrooms and ideas. That is where my one and only Zep poster is hanging. Not so sure a Zep poster would fit your decor Slave, but it works with mine.

You forgot to mention the framed poster of Jim Kelly and the wall mounted bank of tv's that include every ESPN channel.

And that reminds me, my ball signed by Kelly is at my mothes house and I need to send it to the company to have it fixed. Brand new ball, never used, Tabliabue signature, and it deflated? I dont get it. The only thing I dont like is its personalized. It says "Rick, you can play on my team any day". That makes it worth less and they know that. Ralph Wilson knew my ex wife's employers ins guy. I got it for Xmas during the "glory days".

Archived