Bonhams Best Shows

Reed Perry

1980/06/23 is a strong performance for Bonham, likely his best and most consistent show from the tour. He throws in multiple fills and changes throughout the songs, with the odd exception of Achilles as it is rather linear. Stairway's solo features an exceptionally and rather difficult fill, not unlikely something from '77.

He also appears to be quite intoxicated, commenting and laughing throughout. He even introduces Hot Dog, one of the few times I can think of that he ever spoke to the audience outside of his intro to The Ocean. If you think Bonham was finished by 1980 have a listen to this concert.

1980/06/23 is a strong performance for Bonham, likely his best and most consistent show from the tour. He throws in multiple fills and changes throughout the songs, with the odd exception of Achilles as it is rather linear. Stairway's solo features an exceptionally and rather difficult fill, not unlikely something from '77.

He also appears to be quite intoxicated, commenting and laughing throughout. He even introduces Hot Dog, one of the few times I can think of that he ever spoke to the audience outside of his intro to The Ocean. If you think Bonham was finished by 1980 have a listen to this concert.

Been a while since I've heard that show, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, Bonham is in a playful mood indeed...with some of them fills it's like he's deliberately fucking with the rest of the band for kicks...definitely some funny shit :lol:

Need to get my hands on this show, one of the 1980 shows I don't have. Sounds like it will be a good listen!

Need to get my hands on this show, one of the 1980 shows I don't have. Sounds like it will be a good listen!

You need to seek out the Winston Remaster or some other complete source. The traditional soundboard-only version is lacking significant sections of some songs.

• 2 weeks later...

In an evolution of the thread, the night after Bonham's strong performance in Bremen 1980/06/23 we find him in Hannover. He again appears jovial, jokingly playing the opening beat from "Moby Dick" and then calling out the name of the song. But later on in the show one notices he does not play the shuffle with Jimmy during White Summer, indicating he has left his drum stool for a period. He comes back to play arguably his weakest version of Kashmir ever, resulting in Plant not bothering to comment "John Bonham on drums". Appears his habits at the time got the best of him for a moment...

In an evolution of the thread, the night after Bonham's strong performance in Bremen 1980/06/23 we find him in Hannover. He again appears jovial, jokingly playing the opening beat from "Moby Dick" and then calling out the name of the song. But later on in the show one notices he does not play the shuffle with Jimmy during White Summer, indicating he has left his drum stool for a period. He comes back to play arguably his weakest version of Kashmir ever, resulting in Plant not bothering to comment "John Bonham on drums". Appears his habits at the time got the best of him for a moment...

I heard the Hannover gig for the first time today and i have never known Bonham so lethargic, he can't even be bothered to play the big fill before the final guitar solo in Achilles Last Stand, instead you just get silence - or was it deliberate?

My favourite Bonham performance is Mobile, Alabama on the '73 tour -his playing really swings on this gig!

I heard the Hannover gig for the first time today and i have never known Bonham so lethargic, he can't even be bothered to play the big fill before the final guitar solo in Achilles Last Stand, instead you just get silence - or was it deliberate?

I'm thinking it was deliberate (the apathy amongst the band members obviously being contagious on the night). I can't remember exactly which Europe '80 show it was, but Bonham basically just goes 'tap tap tap' instead of his usual big "Achilles" fill- again, sounds deliberate, and pretty funny...could be Bremen, the same show where you can hear Bonzo yelling "Fuck off!" (on the soundboard) to all the audience shouted requests :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Archived