Jack White RAWKED the Grammys!

Bayougal65

I am not a Grammy fan.

I tuned in tonight for 3 reasons!

1. Dr. John, Preservation Hall Band, and the Black Keys!

PHJB brought the house down! Awesome!

2. Tribute to Levon Helm... loved Mavis Staples and Brittany Howard!

3. Jack White!

In my opinion Jack White just put almost everyone who performed tonight to shame!

Love him or hate him, he is the real deal!!

I love him!

Did anyone else watch?

^^^

:thumbsup: Bayougal, it's like we're twins, for those were my exact reasons for watching the Grammys and those were the same three performances that I thought were the highlights of the night.

Justin Timberlake was a surprise highlight for me. His new songs sounded pretty good...at least until he brought in Jay Z for the long-clichéd obligatory rap interlude which proceeded to halt whatever momentum the song had. Like auto-tune and Pitbull, the guest rapper appearance is a scourge of today's pop and it needs to stop.

I also thought the Bruno Mars/Sting tribute to Bob Marley was okay, once they stopped doing their own songs and brought the Marleys up and got down. Taylor Swift's opening "Alice in Wonderland" number was certainly colourful...and I'd rather hear her any day over that insipid fraud from Canada, Carly Rae Jepsen.

As usual, jazz and classical were non-existent. Even the brief nod to the late Dave Brubeck came off as perfunctory. No tribute to MCA of the Beastie Boys either...oh wait, there was a brief blip of "No Sleep til Brooklyn" during the sad closing by LL Cool J and Chuck D. with Tom Morello and Travis Barker.

Biggest oversight of all was no tribute for Dick Clark and American Bandstand. Sorry, that brief LL Cool J clip didn't count. That was self-aggrandizement, not a tribute.

I had no clue who the nominations were this year, but I wasn't surprised in the least that presented with two equally fine choices in the Album of the Year category(Jack White or the Black Keys), the Grammys picked the middle-of-the-road safe choice in Mumford and Sons.

By the way, mark my words, both Mumford and Sons and the Lumineers will be dust in 5 years time...they're nothing more than a latter-day Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Hello Strider,

We are twins! :gimmefive:

I agree with you!

Yes. the Marley's were the only thing that spiced up the Bob Marley tribute!

I admire Mumford and Sons tenacity in sticking to their Old Crow Medicine Show-like way. But I WANT to like them more than I do.

My husband, (the old salt) likes JT!

I find that hilarious ...but he is a big old school, smooth R&B fan, so JT's performance was appreciated by him.

And yes I agree, the guest rapper mid-performance needs to go.

And who knew there was a whole song about Forrest Gump! I didn't!

:ohmy:

I've been watching the ceremony, but didn't catch the performances! =(

So happy for Black Keys and Dr. John! But at the same time a little bit dissapointed that Jack didn't win shit.... =(

Blunderbuss deserved to be album of the year, not fucking Mumford and Sons!!!

Strider everything you said +1

my wife looked at me several times during the telecast and finally I asked her what she was thiking.

"this is a state of the music industry address and they are sh** outta luck if this is the best they can present, honor and award." I will leave out the rest of her colorful commentary. We went back to refinishing a coffee table. I did use the mute button four or five times.

I kept waiting for a bimbo to pop into the corner of the screen and give us updates on what was trending on Twitter and iTunes... "buy Kelly's performance that ended 3 seconds ago on iTunes... hurry !!!"

Justin Timberlake was a surprise highlight for me. His new songs sounded pretty good...at least until he brought in Jay Z for the long-clichéd obligatory rap interlude which proceeded to halt whatever momentum the song had. Like auto-tune and Pitbull, the guest rapper appearance is a scourge of today's pop and it needs to stop.

I also thought the Bruno Mars/Sting tribute to Bob Marley was okay, once they stopped doing their own songs and brought the Marleys up and got down. Taylor Swift's opening "Alice in Wonderland" number was certainly colourful...and I'd rather hear her any day over that insipid fraud from Canada, Carly Rae Jepsen.

As usual, jazz and classical were non-existent. Even the brief nod to the late Dave Brubeck came off as perfunctory. No tribute to MCA of the Beastie Boys either...oh wait, there was a brief blip of "No Sleep til Brooklyn" during the sad closing by LL Cool J and Chuck D. with Tom Morello and Travis Barker.

Biggest oversight of all was no tribute for Dick Clark and American Bandstand. Sorry, that brief LL Cool J clip didn't count. That was self-aggrandizement, not a tribute.

I had no clue who the nominations were this year, but I wasn't surprised in the least that presented with two equally fine choices in the Album of the Year category(Jack White or the Black Keys), the Grammys picked the middle-of-the-road safe choice in Mumford and Sons.

By the way, mark my words, both Mumford and Sons and the Lumineers will be dust in 5 years time...they're nothing more than a latter-day Dexy's Midnight Runners.

was surprised Strider let her slide in his on the sleeve comments...

speaking just for myself fishhead, I am in your camp. A few years ago I sorta tried to listen intently during some appearance she was making on a show- she had the right moves, the rehearsed facial verbage and it just flat bombed with me. NO connection to the lyric, the music(?), the story(?) nada. Wrote her off then as requiring way too much effort and maintenance to get it.

Jack, the Black Keys (expanded band) and Kelly Clarkson's intimate trio we're the highlights for me.......I am still not getting Rhiannon?

Happy Monday Everyone

I thoroughly enjoyed the tribute to Bob Marley and Levon Helm...magnifique...

I thought Adele's dress was interesting....I want one...

I see they are going to have a Music Education Award starting next year...BRAVO...I once taught music but could not make a decent living...Bravo to those who pursue that career..it's challenging..Here in The Great White North you must have stringent qualifications to be part of The Registered Music Teachers Association..These teachers can teach privately; i,e., the neighbourhood piano teacher....

Juliet :D

PS I was quite low this past week due to family challenges, the snowstorm on Friday, not being able to get away to see GAGA in TO and general Feb blahs....I am much happier today...the GRAMMYS cheered me up...I love the band FUN. i thought they were Brits....after hearing the tune, CARRY ON....

Hello Strider,

We are twins! :gimmefive:

I agree with you!

Yes. the Marley's were the only thing that spiced up the Bob Marley tribute!

I admire Mumford and Sons tenacity in sticking to their Old Crow Medicine Show-like way. But I WANT to like them more than I do.

My husband, (the old salt) likes JT!

I find that hilarious ...but he is a big old school, smooth R&B fan, so JT's performance was appreciated by him.

And yes I agree, the guest rapper mid-performance needs to go.

And who knew there was a whole song about Forrest Gump! I didn't!

:ohmy:

Not to mention songs about Springsteen and The A Team! :blink:

Bayougal, I'm in the same boat as you regarding Mumford and Sons: I WANT to like them but I always find myself saying after 15 minutes, "Hey guys, do you know another tune?" Everything sounds the same and it's so po-faced earnest, that I never really enjoy the music and find it boring.

I have the same problem with Drive-by Truckers, Arcade Fire, Mount Moriah, Sharon Van Etten, and seemingly half the bands Jahfin used to recommend. I wished I liked them more than I do.

was surprised Strider let her slide in his on the sleeve comments...

There is only so much awfulness my mind can contain at a certain time, Dallas. Besides, at this point in time it's a given Rhihanna is going to be awful. Remarking about her awfulness is merely redundant...it's like saying the Sun is going to rise in the East.

What she appears to need most at this point in her life is a good therapist/friend...and some clothes that don't leave her susceptible to catching a cold.

^ Could not have said it better myself re: Rihanna!

Missed watching the Grammys live, so catching up on the performances online. I'll admit to Jack White being an acquired taste for me, but now I can't get enough. He never fails to intrigue me, and last night was no exception.

Kelly Clarkson's performance was a great breath of fresh air after the LCD dress/butterflies/rain/Alice in Wonderland craziness/whatever else. Not that the extra effects can't be appreciated/enjoyed for what they are, but it's always nice to just strip back to an understated, genuine and soulful performance of some truly beautiful songs.

Bayougal, I'm in the same boat as you regarding Mumford and Sons: I WANT to like them but I always find myself saying after 15 minutes, "Hey guys, do you know another tune?" Everything sounds the same and it's so po-faced earnest, that I never really enjoy the music and find it boring.

As a Mumford and Sons fan, I actually agree with you wholeheartedly - was hoping/expecting a lot more from their second album. I can still appreciate their music, but I'm not getting the excitement/enjoyment out of it that I used to... versus Jack White or The Black Keys, who still catch my attention with whatever they produce.

I see they are going to have a Music Education Award starting next year...BRAVO...I once taught music but could not make a decent living...Bravo to those who pursue that career..it's challenging..Here in The Great White North you must have stringent qualifications to be part of The Registered Music Teachers Association..These teachers can teach privately; i,e., the neighbourhood piano teacher..

Missed this news - that is so great. I agree with you, 100% - music teachers often face an uphill battle, and in my opinion they have one of the most important jobs in schools today. I cannot express just how much having a music program at school positively impacted me when I was growing up, and I've personally witnessed the same effect on many young lives. I'm sorry your career in music ed didn't work out for you, Juliet - but I'm sure you left those kids with skills/culture/appreciation that will stay with them for a long time. Glad the Grammys cheered you up a bit after your tough week! Ah, the power of music. :)

^^^^^I have heard this song a million times but never get sick of it...3 chords of catchiness........the dude gave one of the nicest speeches last night too.....

did he? i haven't seen/heard any of it yet.

yeah, it's an odd song, but very catchy. am i the only one who thinks he sounds like gabriel?

I watched. I enjoyed it okay... I've certainly seen worse.

I thoroughly enjoyed Jack White, enjoyed fun. and wished the Alabama Shakes had won something. I did hang around to watch Brittany Howard sing as part of the "enemble" (is that the right word?) put together with Elton John.

I missed it, except for the end of the "in memoriam" sequence which was sad. Strider, I suspect they didn't make a big deal about Dick Clark because his American Music Awards was created to compete directly with the Grammys.

I would hope that Robin Gibb and Donna Summer got some major love, but something tells me there isn't sufficent soul, memory or respect there...

^^^

You're correct in your assumption, Fire Opal...with the exception of the Levon Helm/Band tribute, a paucity of love and respect for all of the fallen from last year.

Whenever I hear that Gotye song, I always think of Sting...or as me and my friends call him, Der Stingle. Gotta love their acceptance speech, where they both gave mad props to Prince...and rightly so! With the exception of Jack White and a few others, Prince would wipe the stage of most of the clowns associated with the Grammys.

Why wasn't HE performing last night?!? Especially for the Bob Marley tribute...or even with Chick Corea for Dave Brubeck? Prince is a jazzy cat when he wants to be.

Lakey, I was shocked Alabama Shakes didn't win something! Maybe it was a timing thing...so much time has passed since the album and the buzz of the tour. Fun. benefitted from that, I think, in their win over Alabama Shakes.

I would hope that Robin Gibb and Donna Summer got some major love, but something tells me there isn't sufficent soul, memory or respect there...

Just a bit of Robin and Donna, with their songs... but Jon Lord and Ronnie Montrose got even less with no respective music, and I am sure there were some more rockers who because they were going so fast I missed.

If you need another twin/triplet, I'm in with you! I loved it too and I had a lot of fun watching my Facebook feed during his performance. It alternated between JACK!!! YEAH!! etc. and "Who the hell is that?!" :lol: He was great and again I was so glad we had a chance to see him live this fall! Surprised though that he didn't participate in the Levon Helm tribute, particularly since they did The Weight in IMGL.

I enjoyed the Marley tribute and the ZBB performance, and of course Adam Levine... :wub: And Adele is always so down to earth; crazy dress, but what a hoot!

did he? i haven't seen/heard any of it yet.

yeah, it's an odd song, but very catchy. am i the only one who thinks he sounds like gabriel?

he was very humble, gracious, and thanked all musicians and music lovers out there...try to find it if you can. worth a look/listen.....yeah I think you are right. there is a little Gabriel on his higher parts I think...ciao Slave

I thoroughly enjoyed Jack White, enjoyed fun. and wished the Alabama Shakes had won something. I did hang around to watch Brittany Howard sing as part of the "enemble" (is that the right word?) put together with Elton John.

fyi.......Alabama Shakes are the musical guest on Saturday Night Live this coming Sat...not sure if you can get it but just wanted to let you know..ciao

he was very humble, gracious, and thanked all musicians and music lovers out there...try to find it if you can. worth a look/listen.....yeah I think you are right. there is a little Gabriel on his higher parts I think...ciao Slave

i'll try and find it on you tube, thanks :)

fyi.......Alabama Shakes are the musical guest on Saturday Night Live this coming Sat...not sure if you can get it but just wanted to let you know..ciao

Hi Fish,

Thanks so much for the heads-up about the Alabama Shakes on SNL!

I think Brittany Howard is just phenomenal!

She is a Zeppelin fan, too!

Check them out singing HMMT!

If anyone is in the New Orleans Area mid-march Alabama Shakes will be at the Sugar Mill on Mar. 15th! I can't wait!

Peace.

If you need another twin/triplet, I'm in with you!...

Sure Virginia! :party: :party:

I was looking at my FB feed and cracking up, too!

I just take it for granted that most people should know who Jack White is.... They don't!

Even at work today people were wondering who he was!

I read today that Jack has over 20 songs he is working on already for his next album! I can't wait!

B)

Peace.

I too was hoping Alabama Shakes would win something but knew they wouldn't considering who that were up against. Nice to see them nominated anyway.

Archived