New Audience Tape

chillumpuffer

Fully concur. It takes money to motivate many people in this world, in varying situations, myself included. These new SBDs would not see the light of day if a profit was not to be made - its called capitalism. We don't have to agree with their sometime suspect motives or means, but I don't agree with many "companies" and their capital raising efforts - that's just the way it is.

Bootleggers owe us nothing. If we don't want to pay and we want to critize than we won't hear the music. Simple as that.

I'm not necessarily pro-bootlegger, just pointing out a fact. I'd much rather pay the boys/their families for a SBD than EVSD.

Without the bootleggers, we wouldn't have many SBDs or the multis.

Which is fine, it's when somebody shares out an uncirculated recording only to have some rep from a bootleg company download it, fuck with it, press it and then turn round and sell the goddamned thing for $100 or more that pisses me off :lol:

I'm not necessarily anti-bootleg, either- as I've said many times they are a necessary evil. Sure, they put out the soundboard recordings, which is great, but just about every recently circulated audience recording was shared online for free first and yet the bastids still try to make money off of it! That's just wrong, and I think we all know it...how long do you think it'll take before EVSD or Godfather or whoever the shit puts out their super duper new and improved version of this particular audience tape?

how long do you think it'll take before EVSD or Godfather or whoever the shit puts out their super duper new and improved version of this particular audience tape?

A few days?

:P

FWIW...I don't mind their AUD releases, for the most part. But I download those...

I find it interesting and a little surprising that even as late as December '69, two months after Led Zeppelin II's release, "Whole Lotta Love" still hadn't become a regular part of the set.

Did it really take that long for Jimmy Page to get a theremin and figure out how to do the middle eargasm part live?

...It's already being pressed by a boot company. :

Well, I am...shocked. Shocked...and...utterly surprised...:lol:

I repeat:

it's when somebody shares out an uncirculated recording only to have some rep from a bootleg company download it, fuck with it, press it and then turn round and sell the goddamned thing for $100 or more that pisses me off :lol:

just about every recently circulated audience recording was shared online for free first and yet the bastids still try to make money off of it! That's just wrong, and I think we all know it...how long do you think it'll take before EVSD or Godfather or whoever the shit puts out their super duper new and improved version of this particular audience tape?

I wonder how some would react if EVSD released this and actually managed to make it sound better than what any of us thought possible.

Better yet, how about if EVSD released a complete soundboard of this show tomorrow.

Really? REALLY? People really need to respect the copyright of these recordings. A soundboard released by EV is one thing, but stealing an audience source online is wrong.

Don't sound too surprised that it happened, though...I'm pretty sure even the guys who 'liberated' the recording and uploaded it online in the first place knew it was inevitable. To their credit, they went through with sharing it freely anyway; they could just as easily have said, "Fuck it, let's just sell the goddamn thing to EVSD etc, let them deal with it..."

Bootleggers don't give a flying fuck about 'respecting the copyright' (such as 'copyright' is on unofficial recordings), they care about making as much money off of mainly somebody else's work as possible, end of story. Nuthin' new there, either.

I wonder how some would react if EVSD released this and actually managed to make it sound better than what any of us thought possible.

Better yet, how about if EVSD released a complete soundboard of this show tomorrow.

First scenario would have been fine, as long as it wasn't just a case of an EVSD representative downloading the recording like we did then pressing it and selling it (along the lines of the Beezelbub and TCOLZ labels, to name but two serious offenders in that regard)

As for EVSD making it sound better, you know they've also stepped on the ol' crank with the golf shoes on more than one occasion, right? I seem to recall a few EVSD releases where replacement discs had to be issued because of technical fuckups, that kinda thing...they're not exactly infalliable on that score.

As for the 'what if EVSD put out the soundboard', fine and dandy, we know they seem to have some kinda serious stash of hitherto uncirculating soundboard recordings anyway, what's one more- even if it'd be another case of putting out a soundboard of a show that already has a corresponding audience recording. Wake me up when they put out a soundboard for a show that doesn't have an audience tape (preferably from 1977 :lol: )

For those actually curious about the performance, it's a killer. Definitely recommended.

A fan did a basic remaster of the original seed, smoothing out some volume fluctuations and adding some light noise reduction (the fan claims there was zero musical information in the upper frequencies where he used the NR - and from what I'm hearing, he might be right.) I recommend the remaster, although the original version is great too.

There's an energy and ferocity, but the performance is slightly less raw than the early '69 ones. If you think about the October '69 Paris FM broadcast, and then Royal Albert Hall from Jan '70, this one fits right in.

Some like the collecting aspect though. I'll admit I've laid down some coin to pick up a few rarities over the years...

As have I, and a lot of other people; again, I'm not one of these Puritans who shuns bootleg companies (the 'good' ones, at least)...trouble is, it's mainly a market for old bastids like meself who have always bought bootlegs, LP's or CD's. The younger generation today I reckon are the ones with the "gimme gimme"/"entitlement issues" because for them music is something they've probably never had to pay for, a couple clicks on the goddamn computer and they can get it all, right now. We've gotten totally spoiled by that, and unfortunately tend to take it for granted...as I'm sure some of the older folks round these parts would agree, the Thrill Of The Hunt, as it were, when it comes to finding bootlegs, has completely gone by the wayside.

What I'll never understand are these collectors who have to have every version of a particular bootleg recording going- the EVSD, the Godfather, the TDOLZ, etc etc...what the fuck is up with that? I mean, bragging rights aside (and it's something maybe only .000001% of the population would actually care about, which makes bragging rights a pretty moot point), who the fuck needs half a dozen different versions of Listen To This Eddie? Track down the best version of the show and be done with it already. And it's worth mentioning that the 'best' version of a given show doesn't always appear courtesy of yer favourite bootleg label ;)

who the fuck needs half a dozen different versions of Listen To This Eddie? Track down the best version of the show and be done with it already.

Ha, speaking of which, I finally tracked down a copy (download) of Winston Remaster's 'Mike the Mike 6-21-77', which is the version I've always wanted all along. Now I can finally can all the previous versions I'v acquired in the past. Also, your post makes me feel ashamed for all the downloads I've never had to work for. brb, harakiri.

Ha, speaking of which, I finally tracked down a copy (download) of Winston Remaster's 'Mike the Mike 6-21-77', which is the version I've always wanted all along. Now I can finally can all the previous versions I'v acquired in the past. Also, your post makes me feel ashamed for all the downloads I've never had to work for. brb, harakiri.

Winston's 21/6/77 is the shit, can't go wrong there.

And, Sue, you may be a young'un (at least based on yer avatar pic), but you are as far from being a member of the Handful Of Gimme crowd as you can get. You've paid yer dues, alright, so put the knife down :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, Winston's everything is the shit! I've got 6-21-77 and 6-25-77, now all I need is his 6-27-77 remaster.

lol I promise I'm the young, nubile, little gal u see in the picture! (I feel I should update that a bit!) Thank you for the compliments! (Though I'm sure a few choice members of R-O would disagree...[-cough, 3hrsofLunacy, -cough-]). Nonetheless, your post has certainly put a smile on my face!

Winston's 21/6/77 is the shit, can't go wrong there.

And, Sue, you may be a young'un (at least based on yer avatar pic), but you are as far from being a member of the Handful Of Gimme crowd as you can get. You've paid yer dues, alright, so put the knife down :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

And it is a super charged Zep concert if there ever was one. Very good audience tape and the whole band is on fire.

Sweet version of HB. Cool version of D&C. Last performance by Zep of '69!

Notes:
------
Over the years, there's been much speculation regarding the validity of Led Zeppelin's 
appearance at Ecole Centrale's Piston 70 - despite a review in the French magazine Best in 
February 1970 and a publication of the programme in the book Hexagonal Experiences. 
The first clue was the photographs of the gig taken by Gilles Château, which were published 
on the LedZeppelin.com website.

But now, more than 40 years later, there's no doubt that it really happened since this 
recording has been dug out! A 40 years old master tape that has never been circulated before.
CD 1 (side A):
1. Good Times Bad Times (intro)
2. Communication Breakdown
3. I Can't Quit You
4. Heartbreaker
5. Dazed And Confused
6. White Summer - Black Mountain Side

CD 2 (side :
1. You Shook Me
2. Moby Dick
3. How Many More Times

I wouldn't can it all yet - do you have the JEMS Millard unmarked tapes?

Also...EVSD appears to have debuted a new AUD source for the 1971.09.27 Hiroshima show. The sound is much more upfront and close to the stage - definitely an upgrade, although some of the cuts/transitions between sources sound a little haphazard.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived