David Grohl & Jason Bonham...

Amstel

David Grohl & Jason Bonham...   

13 members have voted

1. 1. The better drummer is?

I've always said that if Jones, Page and Plant decided to write new material, and possibly tour, then the best drummer for the job would be David Grohl.

Grohl's work in Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures is excellent. If any drummer has ever been close to what Bonham did, it's Grohl.

I was never fond of Jason's playing ability, but he has gotten better since he decided on sobriety. I know Robert Plant made the statement "Jason is better than 80% of rock drummers today" during Led Zeppelin's Earl's Court stint in 75', but IMO, he is saying that because they're pretty much family.

However, Jason did play extremely well at the O2. What he did in The Song Remains The Same and Kashmir was powerful stuff.

I never want to see Jones, Page and Plant tour as Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin are/were four certain individuals, and sadly one of those members passed.

If they were to do new material and give a tour a go, I understand it would be Jason.

I'd rather see David Grohl!

I've always said that if Jones, Page and Plant decided to write new material, and possibly tour, then the best drummer for the job would be David Grohl.

Grohl's work in Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures is excellent. If any drummer has ever been close to what Bonham did, it's Grohl.

I was never fond of Jason's playing ability, but he has gotten better since he decided on sobriety. I know Robert Plant made the statement "Jason is better than 80% of rock drummers today" during Led Zeppelin's Earl's Court stint in 75', but IMO, he is saying that because they're pretty much family.

However, Jason did play extremely well at the O2. What he did in The Song Remains The Same and Kashmir was powerful stuff.

I never want to see Jones, Page and Plant tour as Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin are/were four certain individuals, and sadly one of those members passed.

If they were to do new material and give a tour a go, I understand it would be Jason.

I'd rather see David Grohl!

An American in Led Zeppelin? No Chance.

I voted for Jason just because i hate Grohl's guts, but when it comes to drumming abilities, they are both very competent and both can (almost) fill john's shoes.

Jason still can't play the hi hat the proper way while playing the song Rock n Roll.

BTW, why do you hate David Grohl.

You won't find a bigger Led Zeppelin fan than me, which doesn't mean I'm a bigger fan than any of you. However, looking at this thread thus far, Jason will probably get the majority of votes becasuse of his last name, and not because of his drumming ability. If any of you truly believe Jason Bonham is better than David Grohl, well, then your not paying attention. David Grohl is hands down the better drummer.

I'm a bigger Dave Grohl fan.. I Iike his style better.

Nevermind, In-Utero, Songs for The Deaf and Them Crooked Vultures contain some of my all time favorite rock Drumming

But, if Page Jones and Plant were to do anything again, the drummer seat should rightfully go to Jason

That's what John would have wanted and that's good enough for me..

Dave Grohl would most likely change their sound a lot... and he tends to play much faster live..

I've seen quite a bit of Live TCV footage on youtube and he's too fast on some tracks.

Grohl at the Kennedy Center Awards didn't play Rock and Roll any better than Jason has.

But, he is an incredible drummer and he seems like a very cool guy.

IMO, the late Michael Lee captured John's feel better than any of them.

Steve Gorman would get my vote.

Absolutely!!! No question. I've said it here and other message boards...for all the great guitar playing on Live At the Greek, Gorman really stands out to me more than anything as far as the whole thing goes. Even before I heard that album I said if there's a modern day John Bonham, it's him. Great groove, powerful, dynamic, he's really got it all, except the bloodline.

I did gain a new respect for Grohl with TCV, and being able to hang with Jones. For the total package, I'd say he's better than Jason, but I think Bonham finally got it with the Zep material. The Zeppelin stuff I've seen Grohl play, he just doesn't have the dynamics necessary to do Zeppelin.

I'm a bigger Dave Grohl fan.. I Iike his style better.

Nevermind, In-Utero, Songs for The Deaf and Them Crooked Vultures contain some of my all time favorite rock Drumming

But, if Page Jones and Plant were to do anything again, the drummer seat should rightfully go to Jason

That's what John would have wanted and that's good enough for me..

Dave Grohl would most likely change their sound a lot... and he tends to play much faster live..

I've seen quite a bit of Live TCV footage on youtube and he's too fast on some tracks.

Grohl at the Kennedy Center Awards didn't play Rock and Roll any better than Jason has.

But, he is an incredible drummer and he seems like a very cool guy.

IMO, the late Michael Lee captured John's feel better than any of them.

I disagree...

You just made claim Grohl plays "too fast", well that's what Michael Lee always did! Lee's drum sound sounded too high. I would guess he didn't pay attention to the way he tuned his drums.

I disagree...

You just made claim Grohl plays "too fast", well that's what Michael Lee always did! Lee's drum sound sounded too high. I would guess he didn't pay attention to the way he tuned his drums.

Funny how we all pick up on different things..

We'll just have to disagree.

I love Grohl and don't really care that he plays some stuff quicker live.

It would be a problem with PP&J though. John Bonham was ALWAYS in the pocket.

Watching Michael Lee play How Many More Times with Page and Plant Live knocked me off my feet.

I love Grohl and don't really care that he plays some stuff quicker live.

It would be a problem with PP&J though. John Bonham was ALWAYS in the pocket.

Playing fast is ok for some stuff, but alot of times it effects the music, making it sloppier, rushed, or not givin certain parts a chance to sink in. When stuff gets played too fast the bass doesn't seem as heavy and groovy and the guitars don't get a chance to really bloom. I think that's a big part of why something like No Quarter could sound so huge live.

I don't have a big problem with Grohl, but if his most recent performances of Rock and Roll are any indication, I don't want him anywhere near anything Zep related. For Bonzo style drumming, he hasn't showed me anything that proves he's in the same universe as Gorman or Jason.

Playing fast is ok for some stuff, but alot of times it effects the music, making it sloppier, rushed, or not givin certain parts a chance to sink in. When stuff gets played too fast the bass doesn't seem as heavy and groovy and the guitars don't get a chance to really bloom. I think that's a big part of why something like No Quarter could sound so huge live.

Nicely put. Agree 100%

I agree with a lot that's being said. Dave Grohl is a great drummer, within his bands. When he played with Page and Jones at Wembley, his drumming just didn't sound right for the Zeppelin sound. Like was said earlier, he seems to play faster live. He is a great drummer though and was really hooked up with JPJ by the end of the TCV tour.

Jason was always too robotic, in the past, when playing with Zep. Always pounding without having the proper touch, until the 02 rehearsals/gig. Now I think he has a good balance of both - and would be my choice.

Lee was good with P/P, did a great job with songs like 'Four Sticks' and the lighter Zep stuff, but never showed the power needed. RIP, Michael.

That's my .02 worth....

Dave Grohl is a good drummer but he plays that wam bam style-no finesse or swing like Bonzo had. Jason Bonham is much better suited for Led Zeppelin. I learned from John Bonham- it is all in the wrists and not how high you can raise your arm and how hard you can hit the drum-which is how Grohl plays.

ITs on Zeppelin forum and we praise Bonhams here,so Jason gets my vote :).

Also, as forementioned, if they were going to reunite, Jason is the ONLY possible choice.

Who is the better drummer? I dont know, they are both pretty good :))).

Again, Jason has come a very long way with his drumming talent, but he can't even do the intro to Rock N Roll properly. If none of you believe me go have a look.

Again, Jason has come a very long way with his drumming talent, but he can't even do the intro to Rock N Roll properly. If none of you believe me go have a look.

I saw a video on youtube some time ago, where he actually explains how his father did it and how he is doing it. I cant see a reason why would you say he doesnt do it PROPER way. Maybe he does it HIS way only, huh?

For me, as a bass player, I dont mind how a drummer gets there... what matters is that he DOES get there (timing) :)).

Looks like you and I are the only ones that get it!

They don't "get it"?

Or maybe they just don't like Grohl?

Maybe they aren't alone? He doesn't have a hope in hell of playing with Zeppelin.

*edited because I was writing pre-coffee, and I think you're OK Amstel ;)

Clearly Jimmy disagrees with anyone who doubts Jason. Jason proved once and for all that he is his own man with his father’s abilities at the O2. John Paul Jones also is a Jason guy which was very very clear to see by the smile he gave Jason when he turned around and stared at Jason for like 2 minutes. There were moments of improvisation during the O2 show where Jimmy began to let loose and Jason was able to follow Jimmy almost telepathically. Kashmir was clearly the biggest example of it. For the first time in me life I was proud of Jason for being Jason.

One last thing, a Yank in Zeppelin? Never…An English band shall remain English!

I like Grohl- a lot. Grohl is an interesting, happy little spirit- quite the shrieking monkey wannabee in his own right. IMHO best suited for gigs below....

A. Karaokemeister

B. Garage band of the week

C. Wedding Singer

D. MTV VJ

E. Jools Holland regular

Insofar as his skill on the skins, he is above average on par with Travis Barker. Thread comparing Jason, having seen both live on numerous occasions- I voted for Jason. Grohl doesn't belong on a platform with him.

Archived