David Grohl & Jason Bonham...

Amstel

David Grohl & Jason Bonham...   

13 members have voted

1. 1. The better drummer is?

whomp, bash, crash, bang business to me doesn't indicate musicality or power... what I see in Jason is his ability to play it straight and have a sense on what NOT to play more than leaning toward over playing.

This was Grohl's audition and the phone didn't ring afterwards. Jason's phone rang.

whomp, bash, crash, bang business to me doesn't indicate musicality or power... what I see in Jason is his ability to play it straight and have a sense on what NOT to play more than leaning toward over playing.

This was Grohl's audition and the phone didn't ring afterwards. Jason's phone rang.

:yesnod:

Agreed!

Looks like you and I are the only ones that get it!

Jason Bonham has come a long way, but he isn't in the same league as David Grohl!

As far as copping John Bonham, Grohl isn't in his league. Grohl doesn't even really belong in the conversation of best rock drummers ever.

I'm sorry, you guys are wrong.

Jason pulled off the O2, but that doesn't make him better than Grohl.

Have any of you seen Them Crooked Vultures or Queens Of The Stone Age live? Grohl does so much more on a kit than Jason. Many of you say Grohl just wallops, well a young John Bonham walloped too. Just watch the Danish TV footage. In that footage you'll see John exagerrating his snare hits, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JM48D8nSpk

This video says it all! Just listen to the snare fills! Jason can't do that.

Really? Bonham did the very same thing on the Danish TV footage!

Jason's phone rang because he was the only drummer that had a chance, and that's because of his LAST NAME. Plant wouldn't have done it with any drummer other than Jason. That doesn't mean JAson is the best drummer out there either!

Here's John Bonham whomping, bashing, crashing, and banging...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8y1axW264

I don't think he is, personally, but he did a great job at that show. Grohl is just NOT right for Zeppelin - I thought that was the point to this thread? If it is just a who is a better drummer thread, well there is some personal taste involved in that. So you can't call everyone else wrong for that. I'm not a Grohl fan, myself.

If we're talking all out ability, Grohl is better without a doubt. I thought we were talking for Zeppelin. If Jason is gonna do his homework on the old Zeppelin material, live and studio than he is the man for the job. To me he proved that he was up to the task the O2 show.

Besides that, if we're looking for somebody with similar style to Bonzo, outside the Bonham family, Grohl shouldn't be in the conversation. He has the skill, but he has too much rock and not enough roll. He'd be great for the more straight up Zeppelin tunes, but I've never heard anything from him that shows he can handle the more subtle tunes. I'm sure with some direction he'd be up for the job, but Jason doesn't need direction.

I still think Steve Gorman(mentioned on page 1) would be the absolute best choice, including a studied up Jason. Listen to his drumming and Live at the Greek and that was pretty early on for Page and the Crowes. That guys just got that style down pat.

I mostly say Grohl is great because I've been listening to ALOT of unofficial Nirvana concerts lately and his playing is very heavy and well coordinated, he's clearly always enjoying what he's doing, and he manages to hold songs together if Kurt was ever "not totally on it". Plus his drumming on all the Tenacious D albums is great too! :lol: Don't get me wrong, I like Jason too, though.

Archived