2013 NFL Free Agency, Combine, Draft

Black Dawg

I wish the Raiders would go after Reggie Bush. Bush would also help Detroit get over the top.

The NFC West is blowing up!!! To think this was the weakest division in football a couple of years ago. Both Seattle and San Francisco upgraded...but Seattle had to pay a higher price. You do not find receivers of Boldin's quality in the 6th round!

Black Dawg, what are your Ravens doing?!? :blink:

Surely Baltimore could have gotten more for a receiver of Boldin's stature? Were they that desperate to get rid of him?

I don't like to quote myself but it appears Detroit took my advice. Who is the Lion fan on here...is it Bong-Man? Things are looking up in Detroit Rock City.

I hear much grumbling and discontent coming out of New England over the Wes Welker deal. People wondering if Belichick's lost it. Also, Brady gave up a part of his contract for the express purpose of re-signing Welker.

Another loss for the Ravens, linebacker Paul Kruger signs with the Browns. I wonder what Black Dawg's thoughts are?

Ravens are having a wholesale discount party. Kruger Gone, Ellerbie to fins. Pollard gone, Boldin to SF. Ed Reed shopping in Texas. The defensive side of the ball is taking a hit. There may not be many veterans left. The Wizard of Oz Newsome must have a plan.

I don't like to quote myself but it appears Detroit took my advice. Who is the Lion fan on here...is it Bong-Man? Things are looking up in Detroit Rock City.

I hear much grumbling and discontent coming out of New England over the Wes Welker deal. People wondering if Belichick's lost it. Also, Brady gave up a part of his contract for the express purpose of re-signing Welker.

I certainly like some of our moves, especially in the secondary, but our offensive line is still a major problem and was our biggest weakness last year. Backus retired after 12 years, Cherilus went to Indy, and we retained Raiola at Center, which is a serious problem for me. The Lions have gone 8 years without having a 1,000 yard rusher (the longest in the NFL), and that's not exactly a milestone these days. We've got the 5th pick, and I predict the Lions will either draft a Left Tackle or a Defensive End. It's the Lions philosophy to have a strong defensive line rush and cheat on the salary cap in the secondary. They aren't going to pay a cornerback at # 5. I also think it's absurd in the era of the salary cap to pay a 42 year old kicker 3 million bucks. Hanson has had a great career, but he hasn't had to make a money kick in a generation. They should have traded him for anything to a contender at the end of last year when several teams were having kicking problems. He deserved that chance.

^^^

At least Reggie Bush along with Calvin Johnson gives your QB some targets to throw to...Reggie is a great receiving back. The Raiders have...ummm, nobody, that's who.

Hahaha, Rick, I just saw where your boy Fitzpatrick is going to the Tennessee Titans! You must love that. Matt Hasselbeck to the Colts. Josh Shipps failed his physical with the Cardinals.

Black Dawg, I still don't understand what your Ravens are doing. It's like they've become the Florida Marlins...win a championship then dismantle the team. Next year it's going to be weird not seeing Lewis and Reed in a Ravens uniform...along with Boldin and all the other players they've cast off.

Oh, and Joe Flacco won't be getting all that $120 million that people are reporting his contract is worth. He's only guaranteed about $53 million of that contract. I bet you Baltimore trades Flacco or restructures his contract before they take that $29 million cap hit in the fourth year...and the fifth year might as well be a mirage.

This is the financial landscape now in the NFL. Whenever you see a player signed to a big megadeal, you can probably bank on that player only being around for the first two or three years of the contract before being traded or the team reworking the deal to their favour. All those contracts with the pay backloaded in the final years are pretty much worthless...it's the rarest of players that will ever see that money.

^^ There is still a strong possibility Reed will remain in Baltimore.

I agree with you about he Flacco deal. There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Even Tom Brady restructured his deal but that didn't help retain Welker. The NFL is no longer a veteran friendly league. Just look what happened to James Harrison in Pittsburgh he was out $14M. He'll most likely resign for the league minimum. Somewhere Around messily $875,000 is not to shabby for a guy his age. But -$12+

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/03/texans-free-agent-ed-reed-not-close-on-a-deal/

So what does everyone think of these new rule changes; The crown of the helmet rule some might say continues the "Wussifying" of the league, but I am glad the tuck rule is gone, 11 years too late for Raiders fans I suspect.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9075058/nfl-owners-end-tuck-rule-approve-helmet-penalty

So what does everyone think of these new rule changes; The crown of the helmet rule some might say continues the "Wussifying" of the league, but I am glad the tuck rule is gone, 11 years too late for Raiders fans I suspect.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9075058/nfl-owners-end-tuck-rule-approve-helmet-penalty

You got that right. I cannot even bring myself to say the word. That 'fuck rule' was an abomination. I'm glad they finally got rid of it.

But this new helmet rule is just stupid. Somewhere, Larry Csonka(my favourite running back of all-time...yes, even ahead of Raider legend Marcus Allen) is spinning in his grave.

How about this Dumervil(accent on Dum)-Bronco fiasco? Because Dumervil was late faxing the signed contract they'd just agreed on back to Denver, the Broncos had to cut him. Why can't they just resign Dumervil to the same terms...a do-over, so-to-speak? Because since Denver had to cut him, they now will take a $5 million cap hit.

Doncha just love the modern NFL?

Damn Dawg, it looks like the Ravens philosophy was to sign Flacco & to hell with the rest of the team. We still have yet to see what they will do in the draft, but so far I'm feeling pretty good about my Broncos for the Super Bowl prediction.

What's going on with Dumerville? That little fax- in the signature SNAFU may send him our way.

Damn Dawg, it looks like the Ravens philosophy was to sign Flacco & to hell with the rest of the team. We still have yet to see what they will do in the draft, but so far I'm feeling pretty good about my Broncos for the Super Bowl prediction.

There is only one way to go. Down

Ravens. Its impossible to repeat. BD knows it. He wont admit it just now. If Buffalo can get a QB, we can get back on track. I just do not know the plan

It's not impossible to repeat it will be improbable. The offense will have to do the heavy lifting to repeat. It will be very interesting to see who Ozzie Newsome picks up to patch the defense.

It looks lie you could land Geno Smith but it is a gamble. How many rookies have panned out? Buffalo also needs to invest in a Line if thy want to protect a high paid franchise savior.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, just for you Paul! ;)

What is the point? Not many are interested in football now.

Now I see what you did. But this is strictly about the draft, not the season. so a new thread will need to be created at some point. IMO, too early

• 3 weeks later...

Now I see what you did. But this is strictly about the draft, not the season. so a new thread will need to be created at some point. IMO, too early

I think you are correct. Who really cares? Th NFL overhyped ths whole draft. WTF does it take so long? What a joke? I gues it made for great reality TV to see Geno Smith and Manatee 'Teo sit for a whole day in he suits mommy picked out and the imagined girlfriend approved.

I am surprised you are not interested with Bills' QB position at stake. It doesn't look like the made a move in this department. Boy was Geno overhyped or what?

Well I posted my take on the draft in the NFL thread. I forgot about this thread. The Bills really pulled a surprise. I like what they did at two and three big time. I just do not know about this Florida St QB? And for the record, he will be the first black QB in Bills history. A new trend. The type that are big, fast and can run with a rocket for an arm. But who won the Super Bowl? Flacco. Gee whiz.

Well I posted my take on the draft in the NFL thread. I forgot about this thread. The Bills really pulled a surprise. I like what they did at two and three big time. I just do not know about this Florida St QB? And for the record, he will be the first black QB in Bills history. A new trend. The type that are big, fast and can run with a rocket for an arm. But who won the Super Bowl? Flacco. Gee whiz.

I think the pocket passer is always going to have the edge. The NFL is built for this type of game The running QB will have their games but many will be short lived as Is the case with most RBs. The risk reward is too great. The QBs that came in as runners but switched to a better pocket presence have had more success. Joe was successful because he had a Line that blocked in the playoffs. He was mediocre in the season because there was no pocket.

I think the pocket passer is always going to have the edge. The NFL is built for this type of game The running QB will have their games but many will be short lived as Is the case with most RBs. The risk reward is too great. The QBs that came in as runners but switched to a better pocket presence have had more success. Joe was successful because he had a Line that blocked in the playoffs. He was mediocre in the season because there was no pocket.

Time will tell, but Mike Vick was the first sort of. No success. This fucker from Fl St was one hell of a gamble. Same old Bills. Their second and third picks were good. The first one is a big question mark. Maybe Kolb will start? I dont know alot about him except he is injured alot. Can he win in Buffalo? I wanted Warmack. And they let levitre escape. Dumb bastards.

Archived