The official live releases & our trusty bootlegs?

Amstel

The official releases & our trusty bootlegs...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When you want to hear Led Zeppelin live, do you go to the official live recordings, or do you put the "boots" on?

• Bootlegs
    • Official live releases

The issue I have with boots is no matter how you look at it the fact remains those shows were recorded on some of the cheapest, shittiest equipment available at the time. You can only get so much resolution with a $35 radio shack cassette recorder circa 1970's. Even with Pro Tools and other advanced software, if the source sucks there is only so much you can do. The officials at least have a quality source.

It sucks but that is how I look at it. To me the band could be out of sight, positively interstellar performance wise on a particular boot, however if the sound is sub-par I just cannot stand to listen to it. When I play Listen to this Eddie and the acoustic set comes on and the guitars sound so tin like, so thin it drives me nuts. Or the bass comes in (especially bass pedals) and completely drowns out everything else, forget it.

I know there is a handful of shows from both 75' & 77' that had decent source recordings which the band has yet to release for whatever reason. I will patiently wait for these to see the light of day...or not.

Bootlegs by a large mile.

Blueberry Hill, Memphis 1970, MSG Evening Show 70, Boston Tea Party 1969, FIllmore/Winterland April 1969, Texas Pop 69, Belfast 71, Tokyo/Osaka 71, Nassau 1st night 1972, Seattle 2nd night 72, Hamburg/Essen 73, MSG 2/12/75, Long Beach 3/11-3/12/75, Vancouver 75, LA 6/21-6/23/77....

The official releases provide a great introduction, but the unedited bootlegs is where the true magic is. If a full copy of the soundboard for MSG 73 1st night ever sees the light of day, it would make the soundtrack to The Song Remains The Same obsolete for me. I don't really listen to Royal Albert Hall, BBC Sessions, or How the West Was Won, because I prefer other performances from those eras, which for me trumps the sound quality of those shows.

I have a giant Live Zep iTunes playlist that mixes boots and official releases together. But I voted for bootlegs because:

- The Song Remains the Same is great, but not the best performances from that year (or that particular tour, for that matter).

- How the West Was Won is incredible, but the best-sounding version is a fan remix/remaster - technically a boot.

- BBC Sessions is very good, but the uncut bootleg versions have complete versions of the performances. And the Japan digital radio bootleg of the 1971 tracks also sounds much better than the official release.

- HWWW and the audio track of the Royal Albert Hall portion of the 2003 DVD are among their best performances - BUT, holy sh*t what about 4-27-69 Fillmore, 3-7-70 Montreux, 9-14-71 Berkeley, 9-23 and 29-71 Japan, 6-19-72 Seattle, all of March '73 Europe, 2nd half of March '75 U.S., 5-30-77 Cap Centre, June '77 L.A. run, 7-24-79 Copenhagen, and so many more? The bootleg universe is unendingly rich terrain.

Boots are unedited usually, while most of the official releases have been tampered with. I prefer the tunes unadulterated, please...

The official releases provide a great introduction, but the unedited bootlegs is where the true magic is. If a full copy of the soundboard for MSG 73 1st night ever sees the light of day, it would make the soundtrack to The Song Remains The Same obsolete for me. I don't really listen to Royal Albert Hall, BBC Sessions, or How the West Was Won, because I prefer other performances from those eras, which for me trumps the sound quality of those shows.

These. Sometimes there's gold in them thar mediocre audience tapes...

Archived