Robert Plant Hints He'd Be Open to Led Zeppelin Reunion

Jimmy's Dragon Suit

These were direct quotes; it was not all spun by the media. If you read the Rolling Stone interview, it is clear that there was some type of lack of communication.

With great respect to you, there wasn't. Robert was clear on his stance all along. They just thought/hoped he would change his mind.

I think the four of them, or at least the three of them, need to sit down with a therapist, like Metallica did a few years ago (I haven't seen that movie yet but it's in my Netflix queue).

I will volunteer my services if necessary.

Robert had to take his daughter to ballet class?

These were direct quotes; it was not all spun by the media. If you read the Rolling Stone interview, it is clear that there was some type of lack of communication.

I read the interview again and I think there is something to what Robert said, so I agree. He knew what he was saying.

I just hope it happens soon.

Two possibilities for me:

1. Plant was just making an off-the-cuff remark and meant nothing by it.

2. Something has already been agreed and we'll hear hints and innuendo for the next year or so, before a formal announcement.

I've a feeling something might be in the works - it was an unusual thing for Plant to say, considering he clearly would know what kind of reaction it would create in the media. Considering he was so aggressive towards the reunion question around the release of Celebration Day, I find it strange that he'd make such a remark in an interview barely 3 months after the publicity for Celebration Day ended.

They did seem quite close and on good terms in all of the interviews I saw for Celebration Day. Maybe he's had a change of heart, who knows.

I read the interview again and I think there is something to what Robert said, so I agree. He knew what he was saying.

I just hope it happens soon.

I was referring to the Rolling Stone interview with Page (?)

There's no point in belaboring it...I was simply commenting on the fact the band members seem to not communicate with each other very well, and the irony of this...

Two possibilities for me:

1. Plant was just making an off-the-cuff remark and meant nothing by it.

2. Something has already been agreed and we'll hear hints and innuendo for the next year or so, before a formal announcement.

I've a feeling something might be in the works - it was an unusual thing for Plant to say, considering he clearly would know what kind of reaction it would create in the media. Considering he was so aggressive towards the reunion question around the release of Celebration Day, I find it strange that he'd make such a remark in an interview barely 3 months after the publicity for Celebration Day ended.

They did seem quite close and on good terms in all of the interviews I saw for Celebration Day. Maybe he's had a change of heart, who knows.

This makes perfect sense to me, especially your #2 point. The O2 concert aside, it makes sense that Robert was not interested in doing a tour to just play music he did 40 years ago. If they started on some new material, I could see Robert getting excited about that.

He is dropping hints, why aren't people picking up on this?

They did start on some new material. At least Page, Jones and Jason Bonham did. An impending tour hinged on new material, in fact. The stumbling block was the fact that Plant was previously committed to a tour with Alison Krauss in support of Raising Sand. One of those unfinished songs surfaced on Black Country Communion's second album under the title "Save Me".

What "hints"? I've only heard one, and it's the "hint" that's prompted several threads on this board (including this one) as well as generated numerous news stories around the globe ever since that interview with the Australian 60 Minutes originally aired. Just try doing an internet search for "Robert Plant 2014" and see how many hits you get. Understandably, many people are quite skeptical of his comments because of how he's largely downplayed any chance of a Zeppelin reunion. That goes back to just after the 02 as well as the interviews that have been conducted since Celebration Day was released last year.

I just think he knew what he was saying. I don't think he would try to create controversy just to be funny. I also don't understand why people think they know that he wasn't dropping a hint? They all denied a reunion concert before the O2, but there were hints then too. I'm hoping for a front row seat to the tour.

In case you haven't been paying attention, Plant has always had a humorous bent when it comes to fucking with the press. That's not just true of him, it's true of lots of artists. Do you think he ever gets tired of being asked the same old questions, especially the inevitable reunion ones? Maybe he was serious. Maybe he was joking. There's really no way of knowing. Because of his comments this whole thing has reached a fever pitch with the media so I'm sure he'll be asked about it the next time he's interviewed.

If you do that internet search I mentioned in my previous post you'll see that a lot of media outlets took his comments seriously. To answer your question, look at Plant's history with the music press as well as his take on Zeppelin reunions in general and there's absolutely no question as to why so many (at least here) think he was just fucking with that reporter on 60 Minutes.

But back to a point I made before: Jimmy, John and Jason seemed to be very interested in moving forward by things they had said after the O2. Plant had other obligations (so he said), and the other band members were left in limbo. So even if Plant has no plans to ever tour again, why would he play games with the feelings and hopes of his friends? I give the guy credit for expecting that he would not just do that and create turmoil that disrespects his band mates. That's why I think this comment means something.

He didn't do anything to "disrespect" his bandmates. He was merely having some fun with the reporter, something he's done many, many times in the past. Like I said, I'm sure the next time he's interviewed this very topic will come up and he will address it then.

It's like this: If a guy has been dating a woman for years and she has hopes of getting married, but the guy makes a joke about a possible engagement in jest... the woman would feel slighted and disprespected. Nobody makes jokes like that.

Evidently Robert Plant does. Plus, we're not talking about a marriage here. We're talking about a performer that's asked if he's going to reunite with his old band pretty much every time he agrees to an interview.

While his mates are sitting around waiting for him to make a decision.

In case you haven't been paying attention, Plant has always had a humorous bent when it comes to fucking with the press. That's not just true of him, it's true of lots of artists. Do you think he ever gets tired of being asked the same old questions, especially the inevitable reunion ones?

I am a huge Plant fan for both his work in Zeppelin and on his own. That said, I have trouble understanding how on the one hand he detests the reunion question, but on the other seems to often be the cause for stirring it up - either by not answering the question or by cheeky answers like "I'm free in 2014".

I actually thought the reunion issue was put to bed in the Charlie Rose interview of the three of them where Jimmy basically said "if it hasn't happened by now it's not likely to ever happen". The others were there and did not disagree. Issue closed. Now, just when Plant seemed free of the shadow of Zep constantly chasing him through his solo career HE seems to have invited it back. He is an incredibly savvy guy who has dealt with fame and the media for over four decades. He must have known his response would stir the pot. So why do it?

Maybe Zeppelin is like an old girlfriend to him. He knows he can't be with her but he also needs to know she still wants him. When she is not chasing him, he misses her.

I am a huge Plant fan for both his work in Zeppelin and on his own. That said, I have trouble understanding how on the one hand he detests the reunion question, but on the other seems to often be the cause for stirring it up - either by not answering the question or by cheeky answers like "I'm free in 2014".

I actually thought the reunion issue was put to bed in the Charlie Rose interview of the three of them where Jimmy basically said "if it hasn't happened by now it's not likely to ever happen". The others were there and did not disagree. Issue closed. Now, just when Plant seemed free of the shadow of Zep constantly chasing him through his solo career HE seems to have invited it back. He is an incredibly savvy guy who has dealt with fame and the media for over four decades. He must have known his response would stir the pot. So why do it?

Maybe Zeppelin is like an old girlfriend to him. He knows he can't be with her but he also needs to know she still wants him. When she is not chasing him, he misses her.

Great way to put it, Dandu.

What Plant needs to do is have an affair with the "old girlfriend."

That is a great analogy Dandu. He must understand the public's desire for 'another kick at the can' seeing as he is faced with it during every interview. What purpose do his comments serve, to rile people up, to get countless fans excited or to make a joke? I know that there are more knowledgeable people on this forum. Has he ever said anything similar in the past?

Really if the other 3 are "sitting around waiting for one person to make a decision" its sad. they can begin projects of their own I think all 3 and Jason are the BEST...as a fan I dont hang on every word about 2007 part 2 or whatever...I actually wish he'd stick to his guns about Bonzo being needed to have LZ ...doesnt mean they couldnt do something new togetherbut a huge stadium tour...reeks of $$$ to me...They have that right but unless its a charity tour I have a tough time disregarding earlier poignant statements Plant has made about Bonham's importance that I agreed with. But yeah I am a hypocrite too because I'd probably still look into tix. I will never go to Foxboro, MA stadium ever again though...an acoustic, logistic nightmare. guess I am too damn old at 49 for the drunken carnage of their parking lot and seeing bands the size of ants cuz I am so far away.

You said it better than I ever could.

Yeah not much can be said that hasnt already been expressed or speculated on...OT a bit yet slightly connected is Band of Joy officially over? the 2nd cd is canned? I do wish then the Shape Shifters album w/ new material would appear ...guess this belongs in tour 2013...the shows sound great but its almost like Mighty Rearranger II without new material. Ok let's burn this. Geezer is right. The next logical thing is people playing the 60 minutes interview backwards for LZ hints....wow 11:11.

Yes I have seen both interviews and I agree about Buddy- I have most Of Miller's solo work as well as with his wife and Jim Lauderdale...I think actually Robert goes with the flow and i doubt he has any solid idea of what 2014 may hold....I like the Shifters a lot but Ill always rememeber that BOJ show as maybe my favorite concert ever. Before I am warned off- I realize this discussion probably goes in another thread so...we'll see what happens and leave it at that here.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/mali-mountain-hop-20130313-2g0ni.html

Despite repeated requests for that band to reunite for a tour, Plant has resisted because, ''to actually pour forth into something beyond a special occasion is folly''.
''But, y'know, we're in touch quite a lot and when there's another special occasion, somebody'll tell me about it and I'll say yes or no. I'm certainly not against that idea as a hoot - providing it's fresh, exciting, riveting and so long as we're scared out of our minds.''

Archived