2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

I think the Tigers are going to be better than last year. With Victor Martinez coming back, the addition of Torii Hunter, and having Omar Infante for a whole year, I think our offense is going to be deadly. Martininez is just what the doctor ordered to bat after Cabrera and Fielder. We're sitting on 6 starters, and a trade is looming. More bullpen help please !

I think that the St. Louis Cardinals are going to go back to the World Series this year. They should have been back last year but "fouled" up after having been up 3 games to 1 against the San Francisco Giants.

Even without Albert Pujols, the Cardinals made it to the NLCS championship. The Los Angeles Angels gave Albert Pujols a 240 million dollar contract and still did not make last years playoffs.

It is a fact that, after the New York Yankees, the Saint Louis Cardinals have won the most World Series in the history of baseball. Not as near as much as the Yankees, but the second most.

The Cardinal are destined to the Power team in the whole of the National League.

Watched my first baseball game of the year today. Chicago Cubs @ Los Angeles Dodgers somewhere in Arizona I imagine.

Oh Vin Scully...how I've missed ye. I see one of those 'vaunted Angels prospects' from years ago, Dallas McPherson, is trying to make the Dodgers squad. He came up with the bases loaded and one out...and struck out.

The league is littered with 'vaunted Angels prospects' that were a bust.

I saw enough of the Cubs to see that their pitching is a disaster. The Dodgers scored THREE RUNS without getting a hit in the 5th inning...a few walks, hit batters and not one, but TWO BALKS was all the Dodgers needed to score.

Then in the 8th inning, the Cubs bring in relic Dontrelle Willis(remember him?) and he walks a batter and then promptly injures himself on the first pitch to the second batter! :o

Can there be anything worse than being a Cubs fan? I used to think a Clippers or Cleveland Cavaliers fan had to suffer the most...but I think the Cubs fan suffers more.

Dodgers won...but it's only spring training.

Watched my first baseball game of the year today. Chicago Cubs @ Los Angeles Dodgers somewhere in Arizona I imagine.

Oh Vin Scully...how I've missed ye. I see one of those 'vaunted Angels prospects' from years ago, Dallas McPherson, is trying to make the Dodgers squad. He came up with the bases loaded and one out...and struck out.

I saw enough of the Cubs to see that their pitching is a disaster. The Dodgers scored THREE RUNS without getting a hit in the 5th inning...a few walks, hit batters and not one, but TWO BALKS was all the Dodgers needed to score.

Then in the 8th inning, the Cubs bring in relic Dontrelle Willis(remember him?) and he walks a batter and then promptly injures himself on the first pitch to the second batter! :o

Can there be anything worse than being a Cubs fan? I used to think a Clippers or Cleveland Cavaliers fan had to suffer the most...but I think the Cubs fan suffers more.

I think the Orioles won too. But I expect both of these teams to win a few in regular season. i seem to have forgotten? Vin Scully, did he retire or did he pass away? I liked him alot

It's tough to say whether or not the loss of Granderson will be a big blow to the Yankees. Losing 43 homers out of a lineup that's already lost some pop due to some of the offseason departures could be worrisome, but if the Yanks can tread the .500 mark 'til May they should be in pretty good shape. I don't see anyone running away with that division in the first month.

The O's had Mr. Willis last spring (at least I think it was last spring...the years run together these days :) ). I took lots of pictures of him. Which was good since I don't think he made it up to the big club. He always seemed like a nice kid.

The O's had Mr. Willis last spring (at least I think it was last spring...the years run together these days :) ). I took lots of pictures of him. Which was good since I don't think he made it up to the big club. He always seemed like a nice kid.

Yeah, he took having to come out pretty hard. This could be his last chance to make The Show. Didn't the Cubs draft Willis to begin with all those years ago? He won Rookie of the Year in 2003? 2002?

To Rick: VIN SCULLY IS STILL ALIVE! Believe me, if had died you would have heard about it...it will be a National Day of Mourning when Vin Scully passes away.

Vin Scully called the game yesterday and I was merely noting how I had missed hearing his voice over the winter.

Yeah, he took having to come out pretty hard. This could be his last chance to make The Show. Didn't the Cubs draft Willis to begin with all those years ago? He won Rookie of the Year in 2003? 2002?

To Rick: VIN SCULLY IS STILL ALIVE! Believe me, if had died you would have heard about it...it will be a National Day of Mourning when Vin Scully passes away.

Vin Scully called the game yesterday and I was merely noting how I had missed hearing his voice over the winter.

Very good to know Strider. I was worried

Heh, I think the Sox and Jays are going to be fighting with each other to see who stays out of last place. The National League should be very interesting; The Dodgers have spent a lot of money, but money can't buy you a pennant. They kind of remind me of the Lakers, a team that looks good on paper but will they gel & be a team that gives the Giants and D-Backs a run for their money in the west.

- The NL East should be a two horse race between the Braves and Nats, and won't it be nice for the Nats not to have an innings limit on Strasburg this year. The kid says he wants to pitch 200+ innings & I don't see why he can't do it. Probably the best pitcher in the NL not named Kershaw.

- The central will be a dogfight between the Reds & Cards. Will Aroldis Chapman make a successful transition from the pen to the starting rotation? Will the Reds still be reeling from that mighty choke job against the Giants in the postseason? Should be an interesting season.

I don't think so Toronto and Baltimore will be fighting in the cellar

Here's a headline you don't see every day: Baltimore beats the Yankees and the Red Sox on the same day!

Here's a headline you don't see every day: Baltimore beats the Yankees and the Red Sox on the same day!

Gotta love that. I have the MLB package this year. I hope I did not throw my money away. I only bought it due to Baltimore's re emergence to the big leagues.

So, is anybody here actually interested in the World Baseball Classic? I might tune in to a few games just because I'm experiencing some serious baseball withdrawals. The regular season can't get here fast enough for me...

My Doctor is actually a big fan of it. He travels back to the DR, when it is contested there. He quotes stats and figures like it's the world serious or something. I guess coming from the Islands, it is a big deal to them. Just one month until the real season for the rest of us.

So, is anybody here actually interested in the World Baseball Classic? I might tune in to a few games just because I'm experiencing some serious baseball withdrawals. The regular season can't get here fast enough for me...

If the O's still trained in Ft Lauderdale, we would have gone to Miami to see a game or two. As it is, that's a loooong drive from St Pete, so I'm going to be mostly ignoring it.

A question for Bong-Man if he's reading, who's going to be closing games for the Tigers? That could be the only question mark on a team that looks loaded everywhere else on the field. I believe the former closer Valverde is still looking for work.

A question for Bong-Man if he's reading, who's going to be closing games for the Tigers? That could be the only question mark on a team that looks loaded everywhere else on the field. I believe the former closer Valverde is still looking for work.

At least two hrs just to hit Alligator alley and then another 2 1/2 so about 4 and 1/2 -5 hours. If they are playing on the East coast? I only know the Red Sox played in Ft Myers as my granmother had a place there when she was alive. My current relatives are in Sunrise near Ft lauderdale. I was there in Sept. If you are in St Pete you should hit Darby lane. Dog track. Just box 1,2,8 every race if you cant read a form. Ha

If the O's still trained in Ft Lauderdale, we would have gone to Miami to see a game or two. As it is, that's a loooong drive from St Pete, so I'm going to be mostly ignoring it.

Thanks Rick... I can't think of anything we'd rather do in our spare time than hit the dog track :D There is a dog track really near the hotel where we usually stay, but this year, we're trying out a new place in downtown St Pete. I still miss Ft Lauderdale, but I'm sure that in a few years I'll re-acclimate to the west coast. After all, it took a while to acclimate to Ft Lauderdale when the O's moved there from St Pete.

One week and two days!!!

Thanks Rick... I can't think of anything we'd rather do in our spare time than hit the dog track :D There is a dog track really near the hotel where we usually stay, but this year, we're trying out a new place in downtown St Pete. I still miss Ft Lauderdale, but I'm sure that in a few years I'll re-acclimate to the west coast. After all, it took a while to acclimate to Ft Lauderdale when the O's moved there from St Pete.

One week and two days!!!

My cousin always desribes the Gulf as a little murkier than the Ocean but both are great for swimming. I like Hollywood beach alot myself. Better than Cocoa and Daytona. I love Ft Myers beach also. Its a great place. That is where I watched from an outdoor pub/restaurant when the O's whacked the Yankees in NY behind Reynolds 2 HRs. The tattoed waitress left much to be desired as she did not come back to the table but one time. But even she could not ruin that day. Its always busy on the strip. Back to ST Pete, Darby is the only dog track there to my knowledge. I believe the ones in Hollywood and Jacksonville are better quality. There is so much to do in Florida but my favorite thing is to sit on the beach.

Bruce Rondon, a 22 year old rookie who throws 102 mph. I'm not sold though. Of course if he's the next Goose Gossage I will be.

Archived