2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

The Royals are kicking ass so far in Spring Training, 9-0. Will that carry over to the regular season is another matter but I guess it's nice for Kansas City fans to have hope.

I said during the end of last season that KC would improve big time. I like them to be in the race and I am going to pick them to win the central now that they have Shields and were already on track. Baltimore is not doing too bad either if you go see the standings. Only two loss's. I think 9-2 or 7-2? The West race may be the best one. Angels, A's, Rangers and maybe even the Mariners will get better with the King.

The AL West race definitely will be the one to watch this year. I have to think Texas is going to be weaker minus Hamilton & Michael Young, who's now with the Phillies.

And as much as I don't like them, the Phillies might definitely be heard from in the NL East. As long as they still have that 3-headed monster of Lee, Halladay and Hamels, they should be a force.

More bad news for the Yanks :

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9023909/mark-teixeira-new-york-yankees-8-10-weeks-wrist-injury

Somehow though I think NY will persevere and still be fighting with the O's and Rays at the top of their division. They are the Yankees after all, can't count em out...

More bad news for the Yanks :

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9023909/mark-teixeira-new-york-yankees-8-10-weeks-wrist-injury

Somehow though I think NY will persevere and still be fighting with the O's and Rays at the top of their division. They are the Yankees after all, can't count em out...

Do you still think Rivera will be as effective coming in to save games? If they are in position to save them? I think their starting rotation could get rocked a bit. I do not know if you can say the Rays will be better than Toronto? In Vegas they believe the Blue Jays will beat all of us.

Just heard the news that Rivera is calling it a career after this season. I think Mariano can still be effective, provided they can get him a lead going into the 9th. A lot of question marks in that rotation after Sabathia, will Pettite at age 40 be able to give you 6 or 7 innings every start? They have also lost a lot of pop in that lineup & they aren't exactly spring chickens, but then again they were old last year and still won 95 games, so like I said, don't bury the Yankees just yet.

And I'll say it again, despite Vegas giving the Blue Jays the pennant, I just don't believe. Maybe they will prove me wrong, on paper they have got the talent, as do the Dodgers, but I'm a skeptic.

For years, we baseball fans have been hearing "NYY are an old team". I wonder if this is the year that it catches up to them? That said, I agree paul c, you can never count them out.

Team USA gets the wood put to em by Mexico. So much for baseball being our game. Oh well, we get another crack at it tonight against Italy.

Well its not our best players is it? Its not the major league all stars. Japan is the one country that could give us a true fight with our best

^^ To that '27 Yankees remark all I can say is :sarcastic_hand: . I mean seriously, is this not the same Marlins team that had yet another firesale, giving away all their great talent to Toronto, making them possible AL pennant contenders. Good luck trying to fill seats in that new stadium. All the Marlins got as far as I can see is Giancarlo Stanton. Juan Pierre, give me a break.

So, anybody watching the World Baseba... :zzz:

One of my very best friends is trying to talk me into driving from St Pete to Miami to watch this.

I am opting to eat. And drink. Closer to the hotel in St Pete.

I know you all are shocked...

One of my very best friends is trying to talk me into driving from St Pete to Miami to watch this.

I am opting to eat. And drink. Closer to the hotel in St Pete.

I know you all are shocked...

Good choice. Its not the Orioles. Drink and watch hockey. Hope you are having a blast. I love being down there. Maybe a drive to Clearwater?

Good choice. Its not the Orioles. Drink and watch hockey. Hope you are having a blast. I love being down there. Maybe a drive to Clearwater?

Not leaving till tomorrow. We'll be seeing a game in Clearwater on Tuesday. Kissimmee on Wednesday. Sarasota on Thursday. Friday night is Berns Steakhouse. I think we'll be eating near the hotel on Monday. Still working out the other meals.

^^ To that '27 Yankees remark all I can say is :sarcastic_hand: . I mean seriously, is this not the same Marlins team that had yet another firesale, giving away all their great talent to Toronto, making them possible AL pennant contenders. Good luck trying to fill seats in that new stadium. All the Marlins got as far as I can see is Giancarlo Stanton. Juan Pierre, give me a break.

Apparently you don't realize that we also signed John Maine and Chad Qualls. Another Marlins title in the making...

Apparently you don't realize that we also signed John Maine and Chad Qualls. Another Marlins title in the making...

smiley-laughing025.gif

Ok, I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The only thing the Marlins are going to be fighting for is battling my Mets to see who stays out of last place in the NL East, but you never know. I might be wrong...

:bubble:

smiley-laughing025.gif

Ok, I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The only thing the Marlins are going to be fighting for is battling my Mets to see who stays out of last place in the NL East, but you never know. I might be wrong...

:bubble:

OK.. so MAYBE the Marlins might not win EVERY game this year. I have to try to stay optimistic.. but it ain't easy. Welcome to central Florida to the person who is touring games this week.. this is my home turf. Enjoy!!

Was it with the length of these WBC games? I think I'll actually faint if one of these games actually ends under 3 hours. :mellow:

That's precisely why I don't watch much baseball anymore.....too long!

We had a GREAT time in Tampa, Saturday, watching the Yanks/Braves play. Weather was perfect, Dan Marino threw out the first pitch to Goose Gossage AND we were fortunate enough to see Jeter get his first at bat, single on the first pitch thrown to him PLUS were able to see Mariano pitch his first inning back from the DL - two strike outs with three batters thrown to!!! Great day!

:)

OK.. so MAYBE the Marlins might not win EVERY game this year. I have to try to stay optimistic.. but it ain't easy. Welcome to central Florida to the person who is touring games this week.. this is my home turf. Enjoy!!

The NL East has proved to be quite unpredictable. Except that Atlanta is always good. The Phillies went in the favorites last year from what I recall? And that did not work out too well. Washington ran away with it pretty much. Well Atlanta was 4 out. I wonder if Washington will be as good? Anything can happen in that division. So maybe you have some hope. But Atlanta is always good. Remember that

Washington will definitely be at the top of the NL East, plus this year they don't have any of that "innings limit" bullshit to worry about with Strasburg. A lot of the experts are saying the Nats should have been in the World Series last year if they would've had Strasburg, so we'll see how far they can go this year, but I suspect the Phillies will be heard from in that division as well.

Archived