2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

Washington will definitely be at the top of the NL East, plus this year they don't have any of that "innings limit" bullshit to worry about with Strasburg. A lot of the experts are saying the Nats should have been in the World Series last year if they would've had Strasburg, so we'll see how far they can go this year, but I suspect the Phillies will be heard from in that division as well.

Ah the Phillies this and the Phillies that. The Sillies. forget the phillies. Just forget them. Wash, Atlanta will be fighting for the division. How good will the Dodgers be is a question I have?

Forget the Phillies? I would love to, but with the starting rotation they have, my head says they will be much improved from last year.

The Dodgers look good on paper going into the season, much like the Lakers. Zack Greinke is having some elbow issues, don't know if it will keep him from making his first start in the regular season & I have some questions about that rotation after Kershaw & Greinke. Who knows if Josh Beckett will ever regain the form he had about 4 or 5 years ago. The Giants are still the team to beat in the NL West.

As if the Mets didn't have enough troubles, apparently Johan Santana is going to open the season on his familiar spot on the DL. I wasn't sure how much gas Johan had left in the tank anyway, now we're looking at either Jonathon Niese or Jeremy Hefner as the opening day starter, names that don't exactly inspire confidence in me.

smiley-sad006.gif

Washington will definitely be at the top of the NL East, plus this year they don't have any of that "innings limit" bullshit to worry about with Strasburg. A lot of the experts are saying the Nats should have been in the World Series last year if they would've had Strasburg, so we'll see how far they can go this year, but I suspect the Phillies will be heard from in that division as well.

Here's what I don't get about the Nationals and how they handled Strasburg last year. Riddle me this, Batman: If the Nats knew they had to put a limit on Strasburg's innings, why didn't they just use him sparingly at the beginning of the season and save him for the stretch-run and the playoffs?

Here's what I don't get about the Nationals and how they handled Strasburg last year. Riddle me this, Batman: If the Nats knew they had to put a limit on Strasburg's innings, why didn't they just use him sparingly at the beginning of the season and save him for the stretch-run and the playoffs?

Because there is no guarantee of a stretch-run or playoffs at the beginning of the season?

Spent a lovely day in Sarasota today. The team looks pretty good.

Phillies going with Cole Hamels over Halladay and Cliff Lee as their Opening Day starter, interesting....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/story/_/id/9059531/cole-hamels-philadelphia-phillies-calls-first-opening-day-nod-honor

I saw Halladay pitch last week in Clearwater. If they'd gone with him, they should have had their heads examined. He looked awful.

Esther, have you seen Bundy pitch yet? Has he pitched? How do you think our boys will do?

Funny you should ask that now, as I'm organizing my pictures...

8f6d69f5-1e68-4ff7-bd4b-c213149c6fec_zps

He balked in the winning run the day we were there :) I believe they are sending him to Bowie to start the season.

Funny you should ask that now, as I'm organizing my pictures...

8f6d69f5-1e68-4ff7-bd4b-c213149c6fec_zps

He balked in the winning run the day we were there :) I believe they are sending him to Bowie to start the season.

Well, better he did it now than in the regular season. Bowie? wow. Not Norfolk? Well, I guess Weiters is my boy as I have his jersey. Got it in the mail last month. Love it. the old gray.

So long Team USA, and so long to my interest in the WBC. The loss of David Wright in the lineup may have been the death blow for the US. As it is, got to wait 2 long weeks before the start of the regular season.

smiley-sad016.gif

That was a big blow Paul as he was leading in RBIs with around 10. Glad to know there is another unfortunate Mets fan besides myself here.

The Mets seem to be plagued with issues. Not just the David Wright injury, but apparently the closer Frank Francisco is going to be occupying the DL with Johan Santana. I guess we can drown our sorrows together Dave along with Stargroves Tangie. Was it really that long ago that the Mets were in the NLCS against the Cards and who knows, if they had beaten the birds, we would have destroyed the Tigers in the World Series. But I'm not bitter...

The Mets seem to be plagued with issues. Not just the David Wright injury, but apparently the closer Frank Francisco is going to be occupying the DL with Johan Santana. I guess we can drown our sorrows together Dave along with Stargroves Tangie. Was it really that long ago that the Mets were in the NLCS against the Cards and who knows, if they had beaten the birds, we would have destroyed the Tigers in the World Series. But I'm not bitter...

Who knows what would have happened back in 2006. I know Stargroves Tangerine is a Mets fan as well.

Who knows what would have happened back in 2006. I know Stargroves Tangerine is a Mets fan as well.

Hi Paul & Dave :wave:

I was at that NLCS game in 2006 waving my Rally Towel & going crazy until Beltran ended it for us :( but every year I am still hopeful that our Mets will make it to the Series. Even though many players are hurt right now, I guess we have to put a positive spin on this and be relieved that the injuries happened now and not later in the year when we are close to playoff time.

Let's Go Mets!

Hi Paul & Dave :wave:

I was at that NLCS game in 2006 waving my Rally Towel & going crazy until Beltran ended it for us :( but every year I am still hopeful that our Mets will make it to the Series. Even though many players are hurt right now, I guess we have to put a positive spin on this and be relieved that the injuries happened now and not later in the year when we are close to playoff time.

Let's Go Mets!

Agreed Stargroves! I was at one of the earlier playoff games vs the Dodgers. I believe it was game 1 at Shea. The Mets won and probably had one of the most unusual plays I've ever seen in any game. Two base runners (Dodgers) thrown out at home plate on the same play. Weird! I think it may have been in the first inning, but not sure.

^^^

Hahaha, what a disaster that was! :hysterical: I knew the Dodgers were toast from that moment on. Bunch of knuckleheads on that team.

Sitting down to lunch right now, watching the Phillies vs. the Yankees. Philly up 4-1.

Maybe it is because I'm older, but I've started to rekindle my interest in baseball this year. Maybe it's because I've made a new friend who is passionate about baseball.

Or because the Angels lineup looks loaded.

I do not know how anyone can watch pre season baseball. Some of the regular season games are hard to sit through. How can you really judge teams in pre season? Are the Dodgers not supposed to be pretty good? In the race? I am expecting big things from my boys.

I just hope the trend we are seeing in the preseason & the WBC with these 3 and 4 hour games won't be the norm once the real season opens. Didn't baseball even come up with a rule that the pitchers can no longer fake a throw to first base in an effort to try to speed things up.

And I'm with you Rick, preseason baseball means squat. If it did, then that would mean the Royals are going to the World Series! :rolleyes:

I just hope the trend we are seeing in the preseason & the WBC with these 3 and 4 hour games won't be the norm once the real season opens. Didn't baseball even come up with a rule that the pitchers can no longer fake a throw to first base in an effort to try to speed things up.

And I'm with you Rick, preseason baseball means squat. If it did, then that would mean the Royals are going to the World Series! :rolleyes:

I don't think the series but I think the Royals will have their best team in years. I say they can be in the race in that division

Some of the long marathons of games are due to the slowness of games, but most I blame on all the added commercial interruptions. Not too long ago, there'd be a 30 second or 1 minute break at the end of the half inning. Now they're a good 2 minutes or more. I blame most of it on this. It's not just baseball. How many pro football games actually are under 3 hours. Few and far between. It's all about add revenue and these huge contracts these league have with the national networks and local sports networks. I'm sure they'll never cutback on this, if anything increase the length of games and be blamed not on the TV timeouts and ads but delays around the game with pitchers, meetings at the mound, batters stepping out of the box, pitchers taking too much time to deliver etc. Perhaps there is a solution?

Archived