2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

Fucking Seattle wins by two and I would have had a nice parlay. Had the Orioles straight up. I am happy with our first half. Very nice. Especially since we lost Chen, most likely our best starter right now for an extended period of time. I am not convinced Feldman is going to be a good thing for us down the stretch. I like Chen, Tillman, Hammel and Gonzalez as a four man rotation. If we must use a 5 man, we have options with Guasmon, the kid who continues to improve and Britton who I like alot. If we are indeed shopping, lets get a guy we know can do it. I wish we could make the Phillies an offer for Lee. Even if we had to give up lets say Markakis with a pitcher or two or another prospect. Or Teagarden, Dickerson, Pearce? Lots of options without hurting our lineup and getting another guy that may make us better than Detroit and Texas. We have some unfinished business with your home boys down yonder. Now I stuck my neck out based on pitching reports these pitchers tonight may see limited action due to the all star game, so I went Cubs and over. Cubs have been red hot at the plate also. Davis hit is 37th and we handed Toronto their ass's. I know Tampa's lucky schedule ride will end soon. Houston did a number on them last night proving their vulnerability. Better times ahead for us and not you Tampa.

I am shocked Tillman was added to the All Star team I am happy for him though I say Chen and Gonzalez are both better. But its a sign Baltimore is being recognized as a power once again in the big league. We have had a long long wait. With this young and talented team I think we will be around for a while. Thanks Mr Leyland for adding Manny Machado. You did the right thing on that one.

Paul, you may know this (being a Mets fan), but has Matt Harvey been named the starter for the All Star game yet officially?

I was offered All Star game tix months ago by the Mets as I am a plan holder. Not season tix, but I go to several games each year. The All Star fiasco is sold in strips for all the entire venture and for upper deck seats in Promenade Reserved would have cost me around $750 for one. Ridiculous. You could purchase the Fan Fest and Sunday tix (Futures game and Old Timers separately), but not the Homerun Derby or game itself. That was only part of a strip purchase. This is done every year and is too much money and is why I passed on it, no matter how much I wanted to go to an All Star gam at Citi Field. Would have been cool, but will have a great view at home.

Paul, you may know this (being a Mets fan), but has Matt Harvey been named the starter for the All Star game yet officially?

I haven't been watching much baseball today, but I checked ESPN's and MLB's websites & have not seen any news, maybe tomorrow Bochy will announce who his starter is.

I haven't been watching much baseball today, but I checked ESPN's and MLB's websites & have not seen any news, maybe tomorrow Bochy will announce who his starter is.

Well your Mets played great defense on Sunday One catch brought back memories of Swaboda's miracle catch in the 69 world series against, yes, my Orioles. I took Davis to win the HR contest tonight. $10 gets you $35. And Cabrera is not in it

Well, we're at the halfway point of the season & as far as first half surprises go, I think the Red Sox have to be at the top of the list. Most, including myself had them in the cellar with Toronto, not the best team in the American League (pie on my face).
The Dodgers, who I declared "dead" just a few weeks ago are now sitting in 2nd place in that weak ass division. I guess one day I will stop using the D-word on certain teams. Whoever wins this division though will probably be meat in the first round of the playoffs which could be great news for the Braves, who a lot of people, including myself, seem to doubt as far as how far they can go in October.
And will my boy Harvey bring home another Cy Young. Don't know if he will have enough wins, but anything is possible.

Well, we're at the halfway point of the season & as far as first half surprises go, I think the Red Sox have to be at the top of the list. Most, including myself had them in the cellar with Toronto, not the best team in the American League (pie on my face).
The Dodgers, who I declared "dead" just a few weeks ago are now sitting in 2nd place in that weak ass division. I guess one day I will stop using the D-word on certain teams. Whoever wins this division though will probably be meat in the first round of the playoffs which could be great news for the Braves, who a lot of people, including myself, seem to doubt as far as how far they can go in October.
And will my boy Harvey bring home another Cy Young. Don't know if he will have enough wins, but anything is possible.

The Mets are only 5 back of the Phillies and about the same from the second wild card. It is no beyond reason they could get themselves back into the race. They have shown the signs. I say Pittsburgh is the biggest surprise and I do not believe they can kep this pace. But they may take some catching on the wild card part of it. But I do not think they are safe. I like the Dodgers to win the West if Puig is ok. They must have him. Or its either Colorado or Arizona. But I am picking the Dodgers. St Louis will prevail in the central. Atlanta and Wash are not uncatchable. Maybe atlanta on second thought, but is Washington going to get moving or collapse? I believe my Orioles are in the fight to the finish. See no reason they cant win the East. Just look at the schedule for the East.

Yes, Citi Field in Flushing. Can't say I'm watching the derby however, to me the derby has about as much use as the NBA Slam Dunk Contest, which is to say very little.

I used to think the HR Derby was silly, too. And then I went to one...and it was SO MUCH FUN!! So now I watch, at least for a couple of hours.

Rick, that is CitiField. I was there last year. It's...okay. The thing that bugs me though, is there's not one inch of space without advertising on it. Blech...

I used to think the HR Derby was silly, too. And then I went to one...and it was SO MUCH FUN!! So now I watch, at least for a couple of hours.

Rick, that is CitiField. I was there last year. It's...okay. The thing that bugs me though, is there's not one inch of space without advertising on it. Blech...

I love Citi FIeld as it's so much better than Shea was. Been there a number of times. Very open and fan friendly. All parks have tons of ads. Great food there from Shake Shack (burgers and shakes), Blue Smoke (BBQ) and a few others for tacos, pizza and fish. These are all out in the center field area. There is also a Kiosk here with about 50+ kinds of bottled beer. They did a good job with this stadium and I enjoy going here. Just wish the team was better. Saw Paul McCartney here in 2009 in Citi Field's debut year. Great show and sound. Seems like the acoustics are quite good here for concerts. Much better than Yankee Stadium. All concrete and reminds me of something out of the former East Berlin.

Dave...just about any stadium is better than Shea Stadium was... :)

I enjoyed CitiField. We have a bunch of those concession stands now at Nats Park and they're really good. The park is comfy (especially since it's not all that crowded :) ). I love the fact that they forgot the out of town scoreboard, hence it's way up above the upper deck in left field. The park seems really cozy since it's closed in all around. The only little thing for me was all of the signage. I know there are ads in all ballparks, but in CitiField, they cover just about every inch of the park.

As far as Yankee Stadium goes... I think they did a great job making the actual field seem like "Yankee Stadium". And let's face it, the old stadium was dumpy and cramped as far as the concourses went. The new park is much better - more open, lots more room. Still not a lot of concession variety and not nearly enough beer variety (I have my priorities!)... But, as much as I hate the Yankees, it's still "Yankee Stadium"...there's still something magic about it.

Let's hear it for the best name on the list tonight - Yoenis Cespedes - your 2013 Home Run Derby Champ!!

Dave...just about any stadium is better than Shea Stadium was... :)

I enjoyed CitiField. We have a bunch of those concession stands now at Nats Park and they're really good. The park is comfy (especially since it's not all that crowded :) ). I love the fact that they forgot the out of town scoreboard, hence it's way up above the upper deck in left field. The park seems really cozy since it's closed in all around. The only little thing for me was all of the signage. I know there are ads in all ballparks, but in CitiField, they cover just about every inch of the park.

As far as Yankee Stadium goes... I think they did a great job making the actual field seem like "Yankee Stadium". And let's face it, the old stadium was dumpy and cramped as far as the concourses went. The new park is much better - more open, lots more room. Still not a lot of concession variety and not nearly enough beer variety (I have my priorities!)... But, as much as I hate the Yankees, it's still "Yankee Stadium"...there's still something magic about it.

Let's hear it for the best name on the list tonight - Yoenis Cespedes - your 2013 Home Run Derby Champ!!

Well I heard Davis had a blister and he was hitting with it until it burst. No way you are going to win with that. So why don't you like our of town scoreboards? In most sports now you can see the out of town scores, I know in hockey for sure. I like to see them. Maybe it could be a distraction to players down the stretch in the middle of a hot race? I am very surprised the AL is the underdog tonight? Why? And the over and under is 8!!! In an all star game? AL and over.

^^ National League has won 3 straight & that home field advantage has helped them in the series. Wondering how Harvey will do tonight, will there be any added pressure & will Matt come out trying to throw his fastball through a brick wall. I remember Verlander trying to do that very thing & he got lit up, so we'll see how tonight goes.

Well I heard Davis had a blister and he was hitting with it until it burst. No way you are going to win with that. So why don't you like our of town scoreboards? In most sports now you can see the out of town scores, I know in hockey for sure. I like to see them. Maybe it could be a distraction to players down the stretch in the middle of a hot race? I am very surprised the AL is the underdog tonight? Why? And the over and under is 8!!! In an all star game? AL and over.

I love out of town scoreboards!! What I meant was that I was amused that they totally forgot to put one in when they built the park, so that's why it's so high up. That's the only place they could squeeze it in. I know there have been "little" things like that which have been forgotten in a lot of new parks that had to be put in later wherever they would fit (although I can't name any off hand...)

^^ National League has won 3 straight & that home field advantage has helped them in the series. Wondering how Harvey will do tonight, will there be any added pressure & will Matt come out trying to throw his fastball through a brick wall. I remember Verlander trying to do that very thing & he got lit up, so we'll see how tonight goes.

Harvey will likely do well, but he can not pitch beyond 120 pitches, After that is when the AL strikes. Maybe Manny Machado will come in and get it going?

Harvey is probably the reason the over and under is so damn low. Take 3 innings and figure its 0-0? I am not sure. I still think they score over 8 from the 5th inning on

I taped his show for the wife last night, Adam Ant was on. I'll check that Harvey bit out, the clips I heard sounded pretty funny.

I hate to be this way but don't Chris Davis' stats this year, compared to the rest of his career, make you wonder what he's been up to?

I taped his show for the wife last night, Adam Ant was on. I'll check that Harvey bit out, the clips I heard sounded pretty funny.

I hate to be this way but don't Chris Davis' stats this year, compared to the rest of his career, make you wonder what he's been up to?

You are certainly not the first person that has occurred to. We'll see...

I am not a skeptical person in general, but unfortunately baseball hasn't done much to make everyone think otherwise that past 15 years. I will just enjoy the numbers as they are truly impressive. Let history write itself. I still remember George Fosters fantastic year in '77 season and many other historic seasons. Looking forward to tonight - at least for the first couple of innings...;)

Archived