2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

0 hitter for Verlander still. I hope Detroit can hold this lead

Heh, I wasn't going to mention the hits situation, but Justin definitely has his mojo working. I'm hoping we see some history tonight...

Hehehe, y'all jinxed Justin V last night. :lol:

Ok, now that we're through with the hors d'oeuvres, it's time for the main course...and what a course it is! I don't know about you, but I am expecting two great League Championship Series between these four teams.

Boston vs. Detroit. St. Louis vs. Los Angeles. Four classic historic teams...none of these recent expansion interlopers like the Marlins or Tampa Bay.

Boston has the bats and Home Field Advantage, but Detroit has the pitching, I fear...and the incomparable Miguel Cabrera. The possible good news for Boston is that because Justin Verlander pitched last night, they might only have to face him once in the series, depending on how Detroit sets their rotation and if they decide to pitch him on short rest.

It'll be a great battle but I think Boston somehow finds a way. Boston in 7.

In the NLCS, St. Louis also has a pitching advantage over the Dodgers...as well as HFA and a major playoff experience advantage. This is the Cardinals third straight LCS, while the Dodgers haven't been here in years. LA's pitching staff is especially green when it comes to playoff-pressure. How will they respond?

Clayton Kershaw got no run support all season...a major reason why he didn't win 20 games. If the Dodgers don't help Kershaw out and waste his two starts, that puts more pressure on the Dodgers to beat Adam Wainwright and the other Cardinal pitchers. I mean, you have to win four games. If the Dodgers blow both of Kershaw's starts, that means they have to win 4 of the remaining 5 games, including beating Wainwright twice. That ain't gonna be easy.

I want the Dodgers to win but I think the Cardinals are just a little better where it counts and more playoff-tested and ready. St. Louis in 6.

LET'S PLAY BALL!!!

Kind of strange that two organizations (Detroit & Boston) with over 100 years of history have never faced each other in a post-season series.

I have to root for the Dodgers unfortunately. The possibility of yet another Detroit/St. Louis series would be a bit too much in my lifetime.

I also hope both series go 7 games. Not complaining, but I think the week long lay-off last year before the World Series had an effect on the outcome. A team shouldn't have to play 170 games and then take the longest break of the season. That's too long in baseball.

I haven't understood a word Cabrera says in a post-game interview since he's been a Tiger.

The possibility of another Cards/Tigers series is one I don't want to think of, brings back bad memories of 2006. :dont: I'm hoping the Dodgers knock out the Cards in 5 or 6. I won't be surprised or disappointed if Boston wins the ALCS, but if Detroit does defeat the Sawx, hopefully they will have a better showing for themselves in the World Series, unlike their last 2 trips.

Kind of strange that two organizations (Detroit & Boston) with over 100 years of history have never faced each other in a post-season series.

I have to root for the Dodgers unfortunately. The possibility of yet another Detroit/St. Louis series would be a bit too much in my lifetime.

I also hope both series go 7 games. Not complaining, but I think the week long lay-off last year before the World Series had an effect on the outcome. A team shouldn't have to play 170 games and then take the longest break of the season. That's too long in baseball.

I haven't understood a word Cabrera says in a post-game interview since he's been a Tiger.

Proof that Verlander is probably better than Sherzer when all is said and done. I like Detroit's chances vs Boston big time. And I love the Dodgers to beat St Louis. It will be tough to pick the series. It is very strange Detroit and Boston have not met in post season. I guess they have rarely been good at the same time. When Detroit has Jack Morris Boston was not good. When Boston was playing the yankees in those big series, Detroit was not good. When I was growing up and the Orioles and Dodgers were power house's, we pretty much walked all over both of them. I hope the Tigers beat Boston. And I am pretty confident the Dodgers will beat St Louis

On another note, I hear Machado is having knee surgery with a 4-6 month recovery. I sure hope he is going to be ok. The kid can be something special

Go Dodgers!

Now, as long as J.D. Drew and Jeff Kent avoid being tagged out at home on the same play, the Dodgers might do all right.

Good Luck, Strider. I mean that sincerely and not sarcastically.

However biased I am, I still think that the Cardinals are the better and stronger team and I realize that you feel the same about the Dodgers. We shall see.

Good Luck, Strider. I mean that sincerely and not sarcastically.

However biased I am, I still think that the Cardinals are the better and stronger team and I realize that you feel the same about the Dodgers. We shall see.

Actually if you read my post earlier today, you'll see that I picked the Cardinals in 6. I think they are better where it counts in the playoffs...and certainly more battle-tested.

It should be a helluva series, though. May the best team win. Good luck to you and any wagers you may have placed.

Hey Rick, did I hear you right? You put money on the Dodgers?

Actually if you read my post earlier today, you'll see that I picked the Cardinals in 6. I think they are better where it counts in the playoffs...and certainly more battle-tested.

It should be a helluva series, though. May the best team win. Good luck to you and any wagers you may have placed.

Thanks. Same to you.

Bottom of the 12th. What a Fucking battle.

The battle is over. The Saint Louis Cardinals have won!!!

Carlos Beltran is the MAN!!!

Edited to add: Both teams played their asses off. I give a tip of My hat to the Dodgers. If this first game is any indication, this will be one hellava Series.

Well played St. Louis. Whew. If that's the type of game we have to look forward to, it's going to be a hellacious series. My fingers are bitten to the nub.

I have only just concluded watching the end of the game on Tivo because I had an event to go to at 7:30pm tonight. So I was able to watch the first 5 innings live and then watched the rest of the game afterwards beginning around 10:30pm.

Well played St. Louis. Whew. If that's the type of game we have to look forward to, it's going to be a hellacious series. My fingers are bitten to the nub.

I have only just concluded watching the end of the game on Tivo because I had an event to go to at 7:30pm tonight. So I was able to watch the first 5 innings live and then watched the rest of the game afterwards beginning around 10:30pm.

The Dodgers are a better team and they will still prevail. They should not have sent Ellis. Most right fielders in the game would have nailed him on that throw. it was not much more than a deep play at 2nd.

So what we're possibly looking at in the World Series is Card/Tigers, which stunk out the joint in '06 or Cards/Red Sox which stunk up 2004. Come on Dodgers & save me from those 2 possible hells...

Do not write them off because of one loss. Its a 7 game series.

The Dodgers are a better team and they will still prevail. They should not have sent Ellis. Most right fielders in the game would have nailed him on that throw. it was not much more than a deep play at 2nd.

Donnie Baseball shouldn't have pulled Gonzalez for a pinch runner in the 8th...they could have used his bat in several situations in the late innings last night. Instead, with Gonzalez out, the Cardinals were able to intentionally walk Hanley Ramirez to get to Gonzalez's replacement, weak-hitting Michael Young.

To make matters worse, instead of playing tonight, the Dodgers-St. Louis game is the early one at 1pm today, while Boston plays at night. Short rest...it could be a sloppy game today as players will be weary.

If the Dodgers do prevail, they have to win 4 games to the Cardinals 2.

Go Cards!!!

Archived