2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

I have been a Saint Louis Cardinals fan since I first moved to Saint Louis (from Houston in 1982) when I was almost 12 years old. My father took me to the first game of the 1982 World Series against the Milwaukee Brewers. Unfortunately, the Cardinals lost that first game 10 - 0, but I was there and remember the excitement of the crowd. (Saint Louis won that Series 4 - 3).

I just want to say this: I am Loyal and Proud fan of the St. Louis Cardinals. Since that day till this very day. I believe that Saint Louis has and is the Better and more Dominant team in Major League Baseball. This is the 3rd year in a row that Saint Louis has been in the NLCS and the 4th time in 10 years that They are in the World Series. That and that alone Speaks volumes in and of itself. Even if you are not a Cardinals fan, you have to admit that that is a pretty Impressive feat and accomplishment.

I know that the last time these two teams met in the World Series (2004), the Boston Red Sox swept the Saint Louis Cardinals. That was 9 years ago. The Cardinals are a better team now (even without Albert Pujols and actually better without Pujols).

Regardless of the outcome, if Saint Louis is defeated, I am still going to be the Proud and Loyal Saint Louis Cardinals Fan that I will always be (albeit a little sad for a day or two).

GO CARDINALS!!!

I remember that series. My friend from Wisconsin was mad at me for rooting for the Cards. We went to an A's-Brewers game in Oakland that year and we got hassled by drunks as the Brewers shut the A's out 8-Zip!

GO CARDS!!

:^)

The last ten years I will give you they have been one of the best if not the best. But not of all time. No way. They had alot of great moments and unfortunately one of them turned out to be a disaster The home run thing with whats his name?

He never said best of all time.

They aren't, but they're a great team and franchise.. with classy fans.

He never said best of all time.

They aren't, but they're a great team and franchise.. with classy fans.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I do not care who is in, its just too late for them to be playing baseball this time of year. Baseball should be over. Its as crazy as hockey being played in June. Football and basketball at least are played when they should be and do not exceed their welcome. And soccer over there in England? Do they ever stop?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I do not care who is in, its just too late for them to be playing baseball this time of year. Baseball should be over. Its as crazy as hockey being played in June. Football and basketball at least are played when they should be and do not exceed their welcome. And soccer over there in England? Do they ever stop?

There could be 10 feet of snow on the ground and you'd care if Baltimore was in.

... True?

That The Boston Red Sox are in this especially after the disaster of last season is incredible.. It's going to be a classic series.

I just wish my father was around to see it.

Baseball should be over. And soccer over there in England? Do they ever stop?

I tend to agree. Maybe play just one world series game on Thanksgiving? Then they can crown 'Mr. November.'

Soccer is perpetual and I still don't see the attraction. Like Beavis & Butthead they never score. :^)

Oh yeah. I think the beards have got to go!

Lobster roll. So so so very good. :drool:

Gee, if I didn't know any better, I'd say some here have Boston-envy.

That's okay, it's all good.

Someone told me today about a guy from Cali that has been camping out at Fenway for 3 days this week.

That's not you, is it? ;-)

Well, I will be the first one to say that Boston played a good game tonight, while my Beloved Cardinals faltered on several fronts. Mostly defensive as well as offensive as they had the bases loaded with only one out (twice) and both times hit into double plays.

(Just a reminder. I went to the first game of the 1982 World Series when the Cardinals played the Brewers. Milwaukee won that game 10 - 0. However, Saint Louis won that World Series, 4 games to 2).

I have to say that I really hope that Carlos Beltran will be okay and resume His first World Series. He made a spectacular play to rob Ortiz of another Grand Slam. The way this game was won by the score, I would gladly have Ortiz hit another Slam and have Carlos be okay. He deserves to be a major factor in this WS even if the Cardinals do not win. However, this is only the first game. Tomorrow is another. Just wait until the Cardinals return to Busch Stadium. The Saint Louis Fans will be in a complete frenzy and bedlam.

I didn't see the game, but I got the gist of what went down. I don't see the Cards getting swept either but Boston appears to be a machine that can't be stopped....

Detroit and Baltimore knew how to stop them. We beat them in the season series. I am really disappointed in the Tigers. But Cabrera was not 100 percent either. I thought Detroit had the best overall team because of their starting pitching. I guess St Louis could still do something if they have the pitching? But I do not see it. When the Dodgers went on that tear after the all star break, nobody could have beaten them then. Its all about playing well at the right time. The Dodgers could not regain that swagger they had then. Nor could the Oakland A's. I know why we did not make it. One Jim Johnson. Blown saves. I feel good about what we have going forward. I just pray that Manny comes out of this surgery ok.

I believe the Cardinals have a huge shot tonight. Think they have the better pitcher. I will go out on a limb and pick St Louis tonight.

You picked Saint Louis and you picked correctly. StL had the better starting pitcher and the StL bullpen shut down Boston.

Games 3/4/5 are at Busch stadium. I have a Good feeling that the Cardinals are going to win at least 2 out of 3 at Busch, if not the all 3.

GO CARDINALS!!!

You picked Saint Louis and you picked correctly. StL had the better starting pitcher and the StL bullpen shut down Boston.

Games 3/4/5 are at Busch stadium. I have a Good feeling that the Cardinals are going to win at least 2 out of 3 at Busch, if not the all 3.

GO CARDINALS!!!

I still think St Louis is the underdog here because Boston has far more firepower at the plate and neither team has a staff like the Tigers. But anything can happen, I will not deny that. The Cardinals have been here and know how to win. I still think Boston wins it, they will get to the other pitchers at some point. If not, to me it would rate close to the 69 Mets beating my O's. You may think that is a crazy comparison, but look at the regular season how great a year Boston had. St louis had to fight Pittsburgh and Cincy to the wire. With a few bad breaks they could have been knocked out. I still feel the Dodgers were the team nobody could have beaten when they were on. They just lost their touch at the wrong time. Anyway, nice win as I expected.

I still think St Louis is the underdog here because Boston has far more firepower at the plate and neither team has a staff like the Tigers. But anything can happen, I will not deny that. The Cardinals have been here and know how to win. I still think Boston wins it, they will get to the other pitchers at some point. If not, to me it would rate close to the 69 Mets beating my O's. You may think that is a crazy comparison, but look at the regular season how great a year Boston had. St louis had to fight Pittsburgh and Cincy to the wire. With a few bad breaks they could have been knocked out. I still feel the Dodgers were the team nobody could have beaten when they were on. They just lost their touch at the wrong time. Anyway, nice win as I expected.

You could argue that St. Louis Cardinal pitcher Joe Kelly had the most important hit of the NLCS and was the true MVP when he plunked Hanley Ramirez and broke his rib in Game One. Ramirez and the Dodgers offense was never the same after that.

I wasn't surprised St. Louis won last night...Wacha has been great all thru these playoffs and Lackey can be lax sometimes. I still think this WS goes six or seven games. If it does go seven, it will be on October 31. Imagine a Game 7 at Fenway on Halloween!!! :wizard:

Archived