What's your favorite live Trampled Underfoot?

Psychedelic

I was just enjoying a fine take of Trampled 1980, Cologne. For some reason or other, I've been searching through my recordings of the ultimate live take. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because this song and a few others really mesmerize me puts me in a trance like state. There is nothing like packing my vaporizer and enjoying some Mary Jane and Trampled Underfoot.

I was just enjoying a fine take of Trampled 1980, Cologne.

That's a good version, Bonham played some interesting rhythms on some of those 1980 versions. Some of the 1977 "Trampled"'s sounded very plodding, not as funky as in '75 (I especially like some of the later '75 versions where Plant throws in a little "Gallows Pole" in the coda)

...Although, overall, I've always been partial to the epic version from the final show in Berlin in 1980; I can never decide if Page's solo is good or a wall of incoherent noise :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PonDBsTON4A

Then, of course, there's the version from Tempe 20/7/77 which is not only a good example of the 'plodding' I was talking about but where Jimmy appears to be channeling Neil Young in the solo :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2y2hEmo9zY

My favorite Zep song and possibly my favorite song of all-time. I'm still trying to find the perfect live version of this song. It always seems to go how Page's solo starts if I love it or not. I did not like the O2 version to much because I didn't like the sound of JPJ's keyboards and Page's solo was using that weird effect. It was good but not great imo.

IMO the greatest versions come from 1980, to include Cologne, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin.

All time favorite however is likely 1977/04/28 - absolutely an assualt with Bonham and Page chasing each other in great fluency. The Oakland '77 versions are also strong.

I never really liked TUF until getting live shows - that's where it all comes to life - now I like the studio version as well! :)

Favorite version has always been 5/24/75. But now I'm with some here who say the 1980 versions are their favorites. Always enjoyed Zurich '80. '77 is a bit too slow for my taste - but it worked well to break up the solo sections of the show and better than when used as an encore, IMO. Loved the 02 rehearsal version too! Overall, 5/24/75 still gets my vote!

I can't stop talkin' 'bout......Trampled Under Foot!!! :lol:

That's a good version, Bonham played some interesting rhythms on some of those 1980 versions. Some of the 1977 "Trampled"'s sounded very plodding, not as funky as in '75 (I especially like some of the later '75 versions where Plant throws in a little "Gallows Pole" in the coda)

...Although, overall, I've always been partial to the epic version from the final show in Berlin in 1980; I can never decide if Page's solo is good or a wall of incoherent noise :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PonDBsTON4A

Then, of course, there's the version from Tempe 20/7/77 which is not only a good example of the 'plodding' I was talking about but where Jimmy appears to be channeling Neil Young in the solo :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2y2hEmo9zY

Can't agree more with you. Although i really enjoy the 1977,25th LA show Trampled. Just hearing bonzo's huge boom groove makes it work for me. Actually that reminds me of the Destroyer boot TUF. Have always appreciated that one with its epic outro, some 80's ones have epic outros too.Yes i also like the 75 ones with a little speed and gallows pole folk lol.

The final 80 berlin show has a long one, its 12 min. Listening right now as i type this comment, haha this solo is intense, he teases you for like 3 minutes then rips it. For some reason this one manages to stay together, id say barely though, the flow is not as good as some others but it does stay together, jonesy n Bonham really support pages experimenting on this gig, theres that 1 part where the song changes slightly cuz the solo is like into different territory now, and the boys just back him up, its kinda like middle section Carouselembra

The final 80 berlin show has a long one, its 12 min. Listening right now as i type this comment, haha this solo is intense, he teases you for like 3 minutes then rips it. For some reason this one manages to stay together, id say barely though, the flow is not as good as some others but it does stay together, jonesy n Bonham really support pages experimenting on this gig, theres that 1 part where the song changes slightly cuz the solo is like into different territory now, and the boys just back him up, its kinda like middle section Carouselembra

Note how much they speed up after the solo on that Berlin version :lol:

I just finished Whole Lotta Love Berlin, heard it a few times. They say Zeppelin got rid of the noise solo in 80 :P

'75 versions are much faster. '77 versions plod along like Bonham has no energy left.

'80 Berlin is the most fun of them all. Page goes all out and pretty much blows his whole wad on on this one tune. The rest of the show pales after it. He just runs out of gas. SIBLY is awful but it's basically because he's too spent from going bananas during TU.

Archived