What's your favorite live Trampled Underfoot?

Psychedelic

'75 versions are much faster.

Cocaine! :lol:

'77 versions plod along like Bonham has no energy left.

Especially when they were playing TUF as an encore. Most of the '77 versions when they played it as part of the main set have a bit more life to them.

'80 Berlin is the most fun of them all. Page goes all out and pretty much blows his whole wad on on this one tune. The rest of the show pales after it. He just runs out of gas. SIBLY is awful but it's basically because he's too spent from going bananas during TU.

I'm gonna say you nailed it...it's probably a good thing they cut "Achilles Last Stand" from the setlist in Berlin, it would have been disasterous.

Sibly is never good in 80, they really should have played Im Gonna Crawl instead because sibly sounds really tired and dated by then. TUF was def the centerpiece in 80 set. I just wish In The Evening was an encore like in 79, In The Light would have been real cool in that spot. I think roberts 80 vocals really suit his In The Light recording. Plus I feel Im gonna Crawl and In The Light were possible for them to pull off live. Ive heard in the light was not possible for jonesy to do live.

agree

can't you imagine trying to find the energy (aside from the pharma and lifestyle) after doing these songs so much ? I find it tongue in cheek how he disco'd it up on some nights like "shake your arse Percy- you have the glitter ball going and the colored lamps going- shake it"

Trampled Underfoot doesn't have but a few spots for a drummer to get excited about anyway, can't really dress that one up other than to run it fast or drop it to a polka :zzz:

'75 versions are much faster. '77 versions plod along like Bonham has no energy left.

'80 Berlin is the most fun of them all. Page goes all out and pretty much blows his whole wad on on this one tune. The rest of the show pales after it. He just runs out of gas. SIBLY is awful but it's basically because he's too spent from going bananas during TU.

• 1 year later...

For those that haven't heard the Vienna '80 version you may wish to give it a spin. Its unique in that this show throughout to me represents Bonham's most underwhelming performance, even more off-par than San Diego 1977. He plays extremely conservatively as he obviously is having issues with stamina. But Jimmy is having an excellent night and in TUF both solos (the '80 versions have two guitar solos) are fantastic, especially the second where he gets into some real echo trickery. Very heavy, almost metal.

i feel Bonzo does some pretty irresistible fills during Trampled Underfoot, especially the Earls Court version off the DVD, he goes crazy in these very tight spots where if he hits a tom one more time than he should hes got the whole band off track, but instead he does these insane fills that break up the beat into pieces and then goes crashing right back into the beat and it drives me nuts every time cause its orgasmic.

I'd have to say my favorites would be: 5/24/1975, 2/14/1975, 2/12/1975, and the Destroyer 1977 version. i just cant stand when this song can jettison an audience and the band like it can WHY they'd take it slower like on the 1977 tour. probably the heroin made it easier to take it slower but jesus, this song would absolutely tear my face off if i saw it in person..

Oh and that effect on the Celebration Day version on Jimmy's guitar for anyone who cares to know is his Digitech Whammy pedal, which he depresses and raises to affect the pitch on the guitar. i thought it was a great new take on it, except it left in the elements that should be there while just adding a little bit extra to the jam in the middle. fucking awesome. such a classic.

i feel Bonzo does some pretty irresistible fills during Trampled Underfoot, especially the Earls Court version off the DVD, he goes crazy in these very tight spots where if he hits a tom one more time than he should hes got the whole band off track, but instead he does these insane fills that break up the beat into pieces and then goes crashing right back into the beat and it drives me nuts every time cause its orgasmic.

I'd have to say my favorites would be: 5/24/1975, 2/14/1975, 2/12/1975, and the Destroyer 1977 version. i just cant stand when this song can jettison an audience and the band like it can WHY they'd take it slower like on the 1977 tour. probably the heroin made it easier to take it slower but jesus, this song would absolutely tear my face off if i saw it in person..

Oh and that effect on the Celebration Day version on Jimmy's guitar for anyone who cares to know is his Digitech Whammy pedal, which he depresses and raises to affect the pitch on the guitar. i thought it was a great new take on it, except it left in the elements that should be there while just adding a little bit extra to the jam in the middle. fucking awesome. such a classic.

Loved the Whammy pedal on this too... when I realized he was using it...I grinned forever thinking about all the generations the guitar has gone through and the new gadgets for each one

I've gotta go with the 1975 Earls Court version from the official DVD, and the Frankfurt performance from 1980.

I definitely agree with many others that these are better than the 1977 versions.

I like this version as well.

Loved the Whammy pedal on this too... when I realized he was using it...I grinned forever thinking about all the generations the guitar has gone through and the new gadgets for each one

Ha ha, goes to show that less is more. It always amazes me at just how many gadgets guitarists have these days.

'75 versions are much faster. '77 versions plod along like Bonham has no energy left.

I can get into either groove, the fast, or the slow... I like them both.

• 3 months later...

I think Earl's Court 5/24/1975 might be the best overall, and the video helps tremendously! But I really enjoy Vancouver 3/20/1975 as well, really liked when Plant throws in the Gallows Pole lyrics.. I've been listening to LA Forum 6/23/1977 recently and really like it too, but seems like there is less going on compared to 1975.. Know many disagree but kind of like Kashmir IMO ;) was Jonsey just louder in 1975 than 1977? Seems like Page's guitar is much more prominent on Trampled Under Foot and Kashmir in 1977 than 1975...

A lot of the 1980 versions are very good. This was a song they consistently played well. Wish Robert included the Gallows Pole part a few more times than he did. Always loved that.

Yes...that extra little bit makes the March/May '75 versions that much cooler, although, all things considered, I'd be brazen to say "Trampled Under Foot" was at its best in 1980, followed by 1975. The majority of the 1977 versions are way too 'plodding', for lack of a better term, but in 1980 TUF could very well have been the most consistently well played song outta the entire show. On some nights Bonham added funky little accents to his playing that really gave the song an extra kick. And some of Page's solos are just out there, in the best possible way. IMO "Trampled Under Foot" is the highlight of any given 1980 show.

Yes...that extra little bit makes the March/May '75 versions that much cooler, although, all things considered, I'd be brazen to say "Trampled Under Foot" was at its best in 1980, followed by 1975. The majority of the 1977 versions are way too 'plodding', for lack of a better term, but in 1980 TUF could very well have been the most consistently well played song outta the entire show. On some nights Bonham added funky little accents to his playing that really gave the song an extra kick. And some of Page's solos are just out there, in the best possible way. IMO "Trampled Under Foot" is the highlight of any given 1980 show.

Absolutely it was. That's definitely the pinnacle song of any evening - everything else was hit or miss on any given night, IMO. I also agree, Nutrocker, that the '77 versions are my least favorite versions. '79 was also a good year for TUF, even though the number of shows were limited.

Archived