2013 Academy Awards

SuperDave

Well I thought someone had posted the winners and the categories? Not so. Ill go look around. I am interested in best costume and design. I was guessing either Lincoln or Anna Karenina? Re creating the times is always difficult.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

There it is after my edit. And I was right about Anna

I think most people figured why bother posting a list as anyone who was interested was already watching the awards and seeing who won. Posting the winners here would be superfluous.

I think most people figured why bother posting a list as anyone who was interested was already watching the awards and seeing who won. Posting the winners here would be superfluous.

For the first time in years I did not watch the awards. I watched some of the red carpet.

For the first time in years I did not watch the awards. I watched some of the red carpet.

So who did you like? What was your favourite dress? Worst dressed?

Kristen Stewart needs to fire her stylist...if she has one. She looked like "trailer park trash" in the astute judgement of one of my friends. She even had the mandatory trailer park trash bruises on her arm from her abusive alcoholic boyfriend.

So who did you like? What was your favourite dress? Worst dressed?

Kristen Stewart needs to fire her stylist...if she has one. She looked like "trailer park trash" in the astute judgement of one of my friends. She even had the mandatory trailer park trash bruises on her arm from her abusive alcoholic boyfriend.

You know I have always liked Sally Field. It was nice to see her. Every year you have some of the usuals and then you have some that are very famous that do not show every year. Jack Nicholson was there as always. Did the Lakers play last night? That would be a problem for him. I assumed Daniel Day Lewis would win for Lincoln. I really liked him in the Age of Innocence with Michelle Pfieiffer. I did see Lincoln but did not see the others. I would like to see the movie with the Tiger in it and the famous Anna Karenina. That movie has been done before, I am not sure if Barbara Stanwyk was in it?

You know I have always liked Sally Field. It was nice to see her. Every year you have some of the usuals and then you have some that are very famous that do not show every year. Jack Nicholson was there as always. Did the Lakers play last night? That would be a problem for him. I assumed Daniel Day Lewis would win for Lincoln. I really liked him in the Age of Innocence with Michelle Pfieiffer. I did see Lincoln but did not see the others. I would like to see the movie with the Tiger in it and the famous Anna Karenina. That movie has been done before, I am not sure if Barbara Stanwyk was in it?

Greta Garbo and Vivien Leigh have essayed Anna Karenina...Garbo actually did it twice: in the silent film "Love" and then in 1935's "Anna Karenina". But not Barbara Stanwyck.

Keira Knightly will not make anyone forget Garbo.

Actually, Rick, since you mentioned watching only the red carpet, I was asking who you liked 'fashion-wise', not in regards to the actual nominees. Besides, we've known ever since you saw it that Lincoln was your favourite. There certainly was no doubt that Daniel Day Lewis was going to win Best Actor...and deservedly so, for he really inhabits the role of Lincoln. Maybe he should do a series of movies about our Presidents...President Polk...President Taft...President Wilson.

You mentioned "Age of Innocence", which was good if you didn't mind Scorcese doing Merchant & Ivory. But some other great Daniel Day Lewis movies you should check out are "My Left Foot", for which he won his first Best Actor Oscar, and "My Beautiful Laundrette", an early Stephen Frears gem.

Daniel Day Lewis now has the most Best Actor wins(3) in history...more than Brando, Spencer Tracy, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, John Wayne, Laurence Olivier, Anthony Hopkins...and Keanu Reeves, whoah dude.

Robert DeNiro hasn't won an Oscar in 32 years, and it doesn't appear his drought will end soon. Unless Scorcese gets over his man-crush on Leonardo DiCaprio and writes DeNiro a juicy role, he appears destined to ride out his golden years in Meet the Fokkers sequels and harmless comedies.

Who doesn't like Sally Field? We all like her...we really really like you, Sally! Anne Hathaway's win over Sally Field in Best Supporting Actress was one of the more egregious mistakes of the night. Sally's Mrs. Lincoln was an essential part of "Lincoln", especially in how the portrayal of their marriage and relationship humanizes Lincoln for us. He appears as flesh and blood instead of some stone statue. That is very important when doing a biography on a well-known historical figure.

Take Anne Hathaway out of Les Miz and the movie wouldn't be any different...you wouldn't miss her at all, for she's hardly in it to begin with. All she does is sob and warble her song hysterically.

Poor Sally is still paying the price for that "You like me!" acceptance speech all those years ago.

While I enjoyed to varying degrees "Argo", "Zero Dark Thirty", "Lincoln", "Skyfall" and a few other nominees, the movies of 2012 that affected me most deeply and touched my heart and soul were "Amour", "Moonrise Kingdom", "Rust and Bone" and "Beasts of the Southern Wild". So I was supremely happy that "Amour" won Best Foreign Film, especially after being denied previously for "The White Ribbon". But goddammi...would it have killed the Academy to honour Emmanuelle Riva with Best Actress? It was her 86th birthday ferchrissakes...how perfect a story would that have been? Jennifer Lawrence is young...she'll have plenty of opportunities ahead.

Rick, the Lakers played in the morning yesterday...and it was in Dallas. Are you telling me you didn't bet the game?

I don't think she's having voice problems. As mentioned, she is 70. And she's always had terrible stage fright. So the fact that she was there and sounded so good is wonderful.

Shirley Bassy, at 75 (or 76), after a shaky start, absolutely knocked Goldfinger out of the park.

The old broads still have it!

From what I had a chance to see, that was my favorite. I thought of Jimmy playing on that session and his story about when she colapsed at the end of the song. :D

My wife commented that Sally Field won her vote. For Les Mis, all you had to do was add Julie Andrews and it would've been Princess Diaries 3: the crown goes bust - the musical

Take Anne Hathaway out of Les Miz and the movie wouldn't be any different...you wouldn't miss her at all, for she's hardly in it to begin with. All she does is sob and warble her song hysterically.

Name the Bodega EBK?.

I personally think the Rioja region produces some of the best red wine in the world. My fav is anything form Bodegas Navajas in the Rioja Alto. They make magnificent red wine. Soft, rich with vanilla. eemmmmmmm.

The whites are also quite funky but you have to be happy with the oak they use. It can be over powering.

For New World, New Zealand produces some mouth watering Pinot but with a hefty price tag. It is Mrs CP's fav. The Otago area is superb. Funny how it's always me who buys this for her - but hey with wine that tastes that good, I am not argueing.

It was a 2003 Marques de la Concordia Tempranillo and it still lovely tonight! I may check out some Spanish whites ... after I clear out some space in the wine rack. My husband doesn't drink, but I comfort myself with the fact that I have a full time designated driver :) You are a very thoughful husband to keep Mrs CP well wined!!

^^^

Not as tacky as your incessant whining about the Obamas and need to insert your politics in every fucking thread. If that had been George Bush or Sarah Palin you would have been jizzing all over the television screen.

It was a 2003 Marques de la Concordia Tempranillo and it still lovely tonight! I may check out some Spanish whites ... after I clear out some space in the wine rack. My husband doesn't drink, but I comfort myself with the fact that I have a full time designated driver :) You are a very thoughful husband to keep Mrs CP well wined!!

I concur with CP's Rioja appraisal...a good region to explore. But I'm curious CP why New Zealand wines are so expensive in Blighty...I've been able to find some NZ bargains in California. Maybe it's the distance. Thanks E, looks like I'll have to try that Tempranillo.

Lots and lots of wine was drunk last night at the Oscar party...the wine helps the show become more entertaining, wink wink.

Mostly red zinfandels and pinot grigios.

^^^

Not as tacky as your incessant whining about the Obamas and need to insert your politics in every fucking thread. If that had been George Bush or Sarah Palin you would have been jizzing all over the television screen.

Don't blame me bud, it was Moochelle who inserted the fucking politics into the Oscars. And you're probably right about GW or SP because the chances of that ever happening in tinsel town would be next to zero.

Glad I missed this. Michelle O presenting the Best Picture Oscar? WTF, how tacky can you get? Not surprising though given the support received by this admin from Hollyweird and the liberal media. Guess they just wanted to make it official.

Well I am with you on this one. She is a phony

Yes check out some Spanish whites - avoid the wines from the south east of the country where it is too hot. The wines are very sweet, like Muscotel grape - good with Queso though. White Rioja is excellent, like many wines from the North Of Spain. The wine you mention is popular here too. I personally drink wines from Bodegas Navajas. Their Crianza is excellent, Reserva is amazing and the Gran Reserva is orgasmic. Check on line if it is available in the US and score a case. Believe me you will not believe it's wine !!

I am so happy for Ben Affleck, who I like as a director, actor, screenwriter and person. I thought "Argo" was very good, although I also liked Life of Pi, Lincoln, Les Miserables and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

"When the Levee Breaks" was the perfect song for that scene. Besides helping to depict the era, the levee did break, did it not. And our government had ample warning what was going to happen...and ignored the warnings. This I know for a fact.

I am so happy for Ben Affleck, who I like as a director, actor, screenwriter and person. I thought "Argo" was very good, although I also liked Life of Pi, Lincoln, Les Miserables and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

"When the Levee Breaks" was the perfect song for that scene. Besides helping to depict the era, the levee did break, did it not. And our government had ample warning what was going to happen...and ignored the warnings. This I know for a fact.

With Argo beating Silver Linings Playbook, the Academy has spoken...

When the Levee Breaks>What Is and What Should Never Be

With Argo beating Silver Linings Playbook, the Academy has spoken...

When the Levee Breaks>What Is and What Should Never Be

This is a quote you that you made when responding to one of my posts on this topic:

"Frankly, I'm wondering how old you are, because if all it takes to certify a movie as worthy of an award is to have a Led Zeppelin song included, that seems a tad juvenile. Hey, "Shrek 3" had a Led Zeppelin song...let's give it Best Picture!"

Now you say that the Academy has spoken. What happened to your belief that "to certify a movie as worthy of an award is to have a Led Zeppelin song included"? Sounds alot hypocritical that you can say one thing to someone and then turn around and say something similiar and not disparage yourself.

I apologize to the person who started this topic, however, I despise people who are very much hypocrites.

By the way, I am 42 years old and way past juvenile and I have never seen any of the Shrek movies.

^^^

I was joking.

Which everyone else seemed to understand...except for you. Congratulations! You're all alone on your throne, kingsoso. You've merely confirmed my point in my earlier post.

By the way, I am 42 years old and way past juvenile and I have never seen any of the Shrek movies.

It's just as well...they're over your head.

Back on topic, since Super Dave is the OP, I want to ask Super Dave, and any other East Coasters, did you stay up to the very end? I believe the Oscars ended just a little past 9:30pm here, which would put it at past 12:30am on the East Coast.

Therein lies one problem the Academy Awards have...they end too damn late. Just like Major League Baseball and their insistence on starting games at 8pm, generations of kids are growing up not being able to watch the Oscars because they end so late.

When I was a kid, me and my friends were able to watch and talk about them the next day. Everybody saw the streaker run behind David Niven in 1974 and there were arguments galore in 1978 between the Annie Hall fans and the Star Wars crowd. Now, kids can't watch, so they get out of the habit and the audience skews older...the same problem baseball has.

First, the Academy needs to move the start to 5pm...maybe even 4:30pm PST...that would make it 7:30pm.

Second, they need to trim all the extraneous musical numbers. This isn't the Tony Awards...and if you're going to insist on treating the Oscars like the Tonys, then stop with the unnecessary stunt-hosts like James Franco or Seth McFarlane, and get someone who is a proven Broadway talent. Like Neil Patrick Harris.

Seth is already on record as saying he won't be back, so the bets are on on who will be picked for 2014. Most people seem to want Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, since they did a good job at the Emmys. But Tina is saying she wants no part of it. Ricky Gervais, Will Ferrell, Kirsten Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon...all these and more are being bandied about. Nobody is coming out and saying they want the job.

Hosting the Oscars has become the most thankless job in Hollywood. No matter how good you are, you will be compared to the great Bob Hope or Johnny Carson and that's a no-win situation. Plus, you are at the mercy of the show producers and the hack writers like Bruce Villanch who are responsible for all that horrible presenter schtick and the endless musical interludes that drag the show past four hours.

The Oscars are in a pickle because they can't seem to figure out who they are. It's a TV show about honouring the Film Industry that acts like it wants to be on Broadway. Its core audience at this point are women and gays.

^^^ Well, I for one loved seeing midnight here on the East coast with my good (West coast) friend(s)' and you know who you are...;) I haven't done that in yee-ahs..;)

My gay friend Billy texted me the next morning reporting he had fallen asleep around 11:30 and was pretty sure he lost his 'gay card' because of it. He lives in Florida now, and I miss spending 'real' time with him! 'What diva fuck'n falls asleep?', he asked. LMAO.

But I agree with Strider, the music spots need to go. It would make more time for speeches which I always love..

Okay, one more time...Kristen Stewart is a trash bag, she needs a shower, and should never be allowed on the Red Carpet again! Blech!

Other than that I have no strong feelings.

Peace out.

Okay, one more time...Kristen Stewart is a trash bag, she needs a shower, and should never be allowed on the Red Carpet again! Blech!

Peace out.

As long as Billy didn't miss Barbra Streisand, I'm sure his card is still good to go.

As for Kristen Stewart, after seing the trailer for the long-delayed "On the Road" again recently, I am wondering if she is just still in character from the movie. Because her look and mannerisms at the Oscars are exactly the same as "On the Road".

Back on topic, since Super Dave is the OP, I want to ask Super Dave, and any other East Coasters, did you stay up to the very end? I believe the Oscars ended just a little past 9:30pm here, which would put it at past 12:30am on the East Coast.

Therein lies one problem the Academy Awards have...they end too damn late. Just like Major League Baseball and their insistence on starting games at 8pm, generations of kids are growing up not being able to watch the Oscars because they end so late.

When I was a kid, me and my friends were able to watch and talk about them the next day. Everybody saw the streaker run behind David Niven in 1974 and there were arguments galore in 1978 between the Annie Hall fans and the Star Wars crowd. Now, kids can't watch, so they get out of the habit and the audience skews older...the same problem baseball has.

First, the Academy needs to move the start to 5pm...maybe even 4:30pm PST...that would make it 7:30pm.

Second, they need to trim all the extraneous musical numbers. This isn't the Tony Awards...and if you're going to insist on treating the Oscars like the Tonys, then stop with the unnecessary stunt-hosts like James Franco or Seth McFarlane, and get someone who is a proven Broadway talent. Like Neil Patrick Harris.

Strider,

I did stay up to the end, but just barely made it, nearly dozing off a few times.

These four hour shows are just too much. Certainly gotta cut it to under three hours. Starting it at bout 7 pm ET would be good. Also cutting out some of the musical numbers would help. Too bad, they can't cut out some of the commercials. The rates are second to the Super Bowl. But they need to do something, that it runs endlessly and able to hold our attention.

As long as Billy didn't miss Barbra Streisand, I'm sure his card is still good to go.

As for Kristen Stewart, after seing the trailer for the long-delayed "On the Road" again recently, I am wondering if she is just still in character from the movie. Because her look and mannerisms at the Oscars are exactly the same as "On the Road".

You're probably right about Ms Stewart.

I was having fun being catty, though. Sorry.

Archived