2013 Academy Awards

SuperDave

• 4 weeks later...

I realize that this topic is a bit old, but I just watched "Silver Linings Playbook" about an hour ago, and I just fell in Love with Jennifer Lawrence, her character in the movie and the cool chick she seems to be in real life. What a Beautiful Woman. I read about her in Rolling Stone about a year ago when she was on the cover (of Rolling Stone, get it?) and recently re-read that same article a week ago.

Although I admit that I have not seen all the actresses who were nominated for "Best Actress", however, I think that the Academy got it right choosing her.

Bradley Cooper was almost (maybe equally) as good as well. He lost to Daniel Day-Lewis (for "Lincoln").

At the time I was really hoping that Mr. Robert De Niro would take away his third "Oscar" for Best Supporting Actor in this movie, however, he lost to Christoph Waltz for "Django Unchained" (an equally good, if not slightly better role then Bobby).

By the way, pretty early in this Great Movie, "What Is and What Should Never Be", is played almost to its conclusion and I read that the director wanted this song in this movie because it conveyed a certain mood that fit the character and the movie. Great scene, Great movie and such a Great and Beautiful actress.

^^^

Not as tacky as your incessant whining about the Obamas and need to insert your politics in every fucking thread. If that had been George Bush or Sarah Palin you would have been jizzing all over the television screen.

:hysterical:

I just literally laughed out loud on that one! The mental image of ol' Homer jizzing all over the screen with Curious George looking back at him with that creepy smile.....PRICELESS!

Learning Disabled don't get intuitive language, btw.

^^^
I was joking.

Which everyone else seemed to understand...except for you. Congratulations! You're all alone on your throne, kingsoso. You've merely confirmed my point in my earlier post.

It's just as well...they're over your head.

Back on topic, since Super Dave is the OP, I want to ask Super Dave, and any other East Coasters, did you stay up to the very end? I believe the Oscars ended just a little past 9:30pm here, which would put it at past 12:30am on the East Coast.

Therein lies one problem the Academy Awards have...they end too damn late. Just like Major League Baseball and their insistence on starting games at 8pm, generations of kids are growing up not being able to watch the Oscars because they end so late.

When I was a kid, me and my friends were able to watch and talk about them the next day. Everybody saw the streaker run behind David Niven in 1974 and there were arguments galore in 1978 between the Annie Hall fans and the Star Wars crowd. Now, kids can't watch, so they get out of the habit and the audience skews older...the same problem baseball has.

First, the Academy needs to move the start to 5pm...maybe even 4:30pm PST...that would make it 7:30pm.

Second, they need to trim all the extraneous musical numbers. This isn't the Tony Awards...and if you're going to insist on treating the Oscars like the Tonys, then stop with the unnecessary stunt-hosts like James Franco or Seth McFarlane, and get someone who is a proven Broadway talent. Like Neil Patrick Harris.

Seth is already on record as saying he won't be back, so the bets are on on who will be picked for 2014. Most people seem to want Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, since they did a good job at the Emmys. But Tina is saying she wants no part of it. Ricky Gervais, Will Ferrell, Kirsten Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon...all these and more are being bandied about. Nobody is coming out and saying they want the job.

Hosting the Oscars has become the most thankless job in Hollywood. No matter how good you are, you will be compared to the great Bob Hope or Johnny Carson and that's a no-win situation. Plus, you are at the mercy of the show producers and the hack writers like Bruce Villanch who are responsible for all that horrible presenter schtick and the endless musical interludes that drag the show past four hours.

The Oscars are in a pickle because they can't seem to figure out who they are. It's a TV show about honouring the Film Industry that acts like it wants to be on Broadway. Its core audience at this point are women and gays.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize that this topic is a bit old, but I just watched "Silver Linings Playbook" about an hour ago, and I just fell in Love with Jennifer Lawrence, her character in the movie and the cool chick she seems to be in real life. What a Beautiful Woman. I read about her in Rolling Stone about a year ago when she was on the cover (of Rolling Stone, get it?) and recently re-read that same article a week ago.

Although I admit that I have not seen all the actresses who were nominated for "Best Actress", however, I think that the Academy got it right choosing her.

Bradley Cooper was almost (maybe equally) as good as well. He lost to Daniel Day-Lewis (for "Lincoln").

At the time I was really hoping that Mr. Robert De Niro would take away his third "Oscar" for Best Supporting Actor in this movie, however, he lost to Christoph Waltz for "Django Unchained" (an equally good, if not slightly better role then Bobby).

By the way, pretty early in this Great Movie, "What Is and What Should Never Be", is played almost to its conclusion and I read that the director wanted this song in this movie because it conveyed a certain mood that fit the character and the movie. Great scene, Great movie and such a Great and Beautiful actress.

ITA! :)

By the way I'm 46 yrs. old and don't give a cr*p about the academy awards; haven't watched it since i was a teen. And I haven't checked in here (i.e. this led zeppelin site in 2 1/2 yrs.), what drew me here was their song in "silver linings playbook". :bubble:

Archived