Best Kashmir live version

tictac

On 8/30/2017 at 7:20 AM, John M said:

I have a question about 6-21-77.  First I will say that 5:53-6:02 is one of the defining moments of the tour for me.  And that Jimmy's ending guitar soloing is the best I ever heard on Kashmir.  My question - is 6:49 -6:51 Plant or someone near the taper?  It sounds like Plant but it does not seem like something he would do?  I don't recall ever hearing any thing like that on another version?

I have always wondered this as well. 

49 minutes ago, johnlennon696 said:

I've always thought it was Plant. Certainly sounds like him. It' a great spot.

Yes, sounds like Plant to me, however, whoever grabbed his dick to incite such a howl earned a gold star.

It is clear in the latter half of this song how potent that nights medication was. Plant once commented how pure the drugs were back then. He may well have been thinking of this particular night. They are just on another plane - even for them!

On 8/30/2017 at 4:20 AM, John M said:

I have a question about 6-21-77.  First I will say that 5:53-6:02 is one of the defining moments of the tour for me.  And that Jimmy's ending guitar soloing is the best I ever heard on Kashmir.  My question - is 6:49 -6:51 Plant or someone near the taper?  It sounds like Plant but it does not seem like something he would do?  I don't recall ever hearing any thing like that on another version?

Of course it's Plant. No question.

• 2 months later...

The O2 version is flawless and is one of the greatest performances of Robert Plant's career, easily imo his greatest post-Zep era performance.  The incredible visuals didn't hurt anything either.

As for the real Zeppelin, there are some nice ones from 1975, but by 1977 the versions (when they were well done) took the piece to another level.  Bonham was routinely spectacular on these, and on the recordings that capture the visceral response from the audience at the song's conclusion, it gives a real idea of what it was like to be there.

The 1975 "Kashmir" was GOD-LIKE.

The 1977 "Kashmir" was on another plane of existence altogether...it was OTHERWORLDLY.

The later ones are still good, but Jonesy's Yamaha synthesizer ruins the vibe for me.

I gotta have that Mellotron!

• 3 weeks later...

23 June 77 - with the major flub in the middle, has to be top 3. Before and after the sketchy sequence, it is as powerful as I have heard.

Bonham is no longer human. He seems to ascend to something more. Every fill is pure magic. Page is right there with him adding to the relentless march of the intense, heavy rhythm and Jones as always adds depth. Plant perfectly accompanying what is impossible for a singer - and PERFECT.

'77 Kashmir. There surely is no greater rock moment. And especially for the fans. I can't begin to imagine being at something even remotely carrying that intensity as a kid with some nice herb. Lucky buggers....

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Just gave another listen to 28.4. 1977. A strong contender... In general they nailed Kashmir 77 better than 75. Not just Plant's voice but the whole thunder of the thing plus the coda.

They nailed NQ better 75 than 73 and Dazed got a slight polish for 75 vs. previous years too (controversial, I know). Despite the "decay" of some of the band members the show kept on evolving and one could argue it even improved although individual inputs, when compared to earlier ones, were sometimes worse.

Edit: maybe another go on the ones from 1980 but I am with Strider here about the mellotron. The sound of it really boosted the numbers where it was used.

Edited by JMH

8 hours ago, JMH said:

Just gave another listen to 28.4. 1977. A strong contender... In general they nailed Kashmir 77 better than 75. Not just Plant's voice but the whole thunder of the thing plus the coda.

YASS King. 77-04-28 is for me a top-fiver show. They really pulled it together after the SB-recorded but unfortunately pretty mediocre prior night there at Richfield Coliseum. Except the 27th Trampled fucking rules. Even so, the 28th is arguably better.

ALB

^ I will have to listen to that version again, but if you are indeed correct abouyt the 28th that's interesting as that concert on a whole is pretty sluggish, though I think the SBD tape runs a tad slow which adds to it!

Kashmir is the one song from 77 that, to my ears, is better than 75 versions. My favorites are Cleveland 4-28-77 and MSG 6-13-77. Others I love are:

4-30-77 (best sounding Plant to my ears), MSG 6-10-77, MSG 6-14-77, LA 6-21-77, LA 6-22-77 and LA 6-25-77

On 2/28/2013 at 3:16 PM, tictac said:

Hi there.

I am wondering and asking which do you think is the best Kashmir live version.

Official we just have Knebworth's and O2's. And I think Kashmir and For Your Life were the best moments of the whole Celebration Day night.

Cheers.

TT.

My two favorites for Kashmir are from 1975: Long Beach 11th--first night--a night most people "poo poo" due to a few songs flubs . . .  and Feb 14 . . . I think that due to Plant's voice being tops and Bonham's tight drum pacing followed by the snare to cymbal explosions after each break. The 14th is in my opinion one of the best nights of '75, and I am not a big fan of most 1975 concerts overall.

^

Plant is strong on that one in 75 standards and astonishingly better compared to 12th of February. The SBD is quite mellotron heavy but it is a solid 75 version. Plant skips the coda in a way but Bonham brings some thunder to it. It is just that in 77 they executed the song much to better to my ears.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:47 AM, paul carruthers said:

I believe I've already mentioned my favorite from the '77 tour, but here's one I think deserves some attention. If it's even been mentioned yet in this thread...

I now have a new favorite version of this song. Thanks for drawing attention to this. I've never been a big fan of the 77 tour and am not well-versed on every show. This version Houston 5-18-77 is a killer combo of a great performance with easily the best sound I've heard from this year. Nice one.

I've been on a bit of a kick with 77 Kashmir lately and recently discovered the Birmingham 5-21-77 version which also has great sound and performance. But Houston is better on both fronts and is my new go-to.

I suppose I should also mention the O2 version as today is the anniversary of the show. An incredible headphone experience. You get to be completely immersed in Jimmy's guitar sound, it's a religious experience.