Led Zeppelins influence on Music

McSeven

You know what I have noticed lately. Every news blurb on music sites LZ as a influence or sound like etc. Although I love LZ. I think this is going overboard.

The only other band I see like that is The Beatles, but that is more about bubble gum popularity. What do yo all think. Must everything be linked to Led Zeppelin.

I'm not 100% sure of what the answer is to this question, but I think the fact that the Zeps have had a resurgence in mainstream media/culture, and new listeners have been enlightened to the music, it almost seems like 1980 never happened if you hadn't lived through it.

These last six years have raised the band back up into the mainstream but they've always been held high by the real fans forever. I read the other day that even Justin Timberlake sited Zeppelin saying if they could write 10min tunes, why can;t he too. I've got nothing against JT (actually like him), but I was floored to hear him say that. I wonder if he would have said the same thing 8-10 years ago?...

As for the Beatles.....Bubble-gum is not an adjective I would ever use with them. Pop? yes, with some of their tunes, but just some......If you listen further you'd have to admit they wrote some spectacular songs with chord changes and harmonies that were ground breaking......cheers

You know what I have noticed lately. Every news blurb on music sites LZ as a influence or sound like etc. Although I love LZ. I think this is going overboard.

The only other band I see like that is The Beatles, but that is more about bubble gum popularity. What do yo all think. Must everything be linked to Led Zeppelin.

I'm not familiar with the phenomenon you're describing...are new bands really claiming they're influenced by Led Zeppelin? I haven't been keeping up with new music that much but one would think if that were really true, those bands would be being talked about on this site--haven't seen much of that since I became a member a couple of weeks ago...I have rarely heard bands that sounded remotely like Zep...in the late 70s Heart had a couple of songs that sounded Zep-influenced...Guns n' Roses in the 80s occasionally I would think of as Zep-influenced...no one else springs to mind...it sounds to me like wishful thinking on the part of bands; they would like to think of themselves as Zep-influenced...

A band and / or player can be and are influenced by The Beatles or Led Zeppelin (or any other band / musician for that matter) without exactly sounding like them.

There are a few exceptions like ELO and Heart.

Jeff Lynne was heavily influenced by The Beatles and it showed in many of their songs arrangements and lyrics, he cited Hey Jude in the song Shangri-La.

Heart are well known to be influenced by Led Zeppelin, listen to their Dreamboat Annie album.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam and RHCP to name a few, are heavily influenced by The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Neil Young.

There are obviously many others and who's to say that modern musicians aren't influenced by older bands too?

The answer is simple, like all music we are influenced by the bands that move us and are more often than not influenced by their music and the music that influenced them by way of listening to the bands, musicians and musical styles that got them into it in the first place.

After all most, if not all of us have discovered bands from hearing our older siblings music and the same applies to our kids music too.

How anyone's influences could be dismissed so easily is absurd and downright disrespectful.

Archived