Grantham will get a Margaret Thatcher statue and permanent exhibition

weslgarlic

Grantham will get a Margaret Thatcher statue and permanent exhibition

By Paul Richardson

Published on Friday 8 March 2013 12:34

A £200,000 fundraising project has been launched to commission a larger than life statue of Margaret Thatcher for her home town of Grantham.

The move comes after months of speculation about how Grantham may commemorate its most famous daughter, which has attracted interest worldwide.

As well as the statue, Grantham Museum - which is run by volunteers - wants to commission a permanent exhibition of her life and work within its town centre building and to make other improvements to ensure its future.

The museum intends to raise the money through donations and merchandise sales - a minimum of 50p from every £1 donated will go towards refurbishing the museum to, in the words of PR and marketing director Helen Goral: make it a sustainable destination of choice for generations to come.

She continued: Whatever you think of Mrs Thatcher she was a local grocers daughter, was the first female Prime Minister and the longest serving of the 20th century. Her heritage deserves a fitting tribute and exhibition.

Grantham Community Heritage Association, which runs the museum, claims feedback from local residents and museum supporters further afield proves the huge support and appetite for Grantham to recognise Mrs Thatcher.

Local Conservative MP Nick Boles, who has never met Mrs Thatcher, said: I think she would have applauded this, because it preserves the history of the town and marks what she did for the country and there will be no tax-payer funding involved, This is about the statue and the institution of the museum together. I will run to anyone, I will call anyone, to help raise this money.

The association could not deliver details about the statue or exhibition but chairman Graham Jeal said the statue would be larger than life.

He could not say whether or not the statue would be erected inside the museum or outside on St Peters Hill, the site of a large bronze statue to another former Grantham resident, Sir Isaac Newton.

Last week, the Labour group at South Kesteven District Council proposed funding a Thatcher statue, but the motion was defeated 40-7 by the Tory-led council.

http://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/local/grantham-will-get-a-margaret-thatcher-statue-and-permanent-exhibition-1-4880440

When she dies they should release "ding dong the wicked witch is dead" from wizard of oz as a single

Never liked the women ,some may agree , but some may not

You didn't answer the question. You created a topic about a current event only to add your desire to see a woman dead. Was the purpose only to say you didn't like the woman, or make some other point?

You created the topic. What is your point?

You didn't answer the question. You created a topic about a current event only to add your desire to see a woman dead. Was the purpose only to say you didn't like the woman, or make some other point?

£200,000 seems to a be a lot of money to expect to contribute too from people facing cuts especially as it's her party who are bringing in the cuts , You could argue that I can keep my hands in my pockets

That's what I was wondering, too. Besides, the poor woman is supposedly near death already, or at least her quality of life isn't too hot now that she suffers from dementia or Alzheimer's...I forget which.

I'll make one prediction though. That statue will probably end up being the most vandalized in the UK. They'll have to put a 24-hour guard on it. The hatred some Brits have for her is still very palpable.

I'll make one prediction though. That statue will probably end up being the most vandalized in the UK. They'll have to put a 24-hour guard on it. The hatred some Brits have for her is still very palpable.

The 'tolerant' left? There's a statue of Lenin in Seattle and I think most of the useful idiots bow to it. <_<

Do you mean Lennon in central park ?

If I had meant 'Lennon in Central Park', I would have said "Lennon in Central Park". Central Park is in New York City, not Seattle. And Lenin is not Lennon.

Don't they teach geography anymore? :rolleyes:

According to Wikipedia Thatcher said:

"I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand "I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!" or "I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!" "I am homeless, the Government must house me!" and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations."

I think she is right. We probably need more straight talk like that, but no reason to wish her dead.

Interesting topic, the statues of world leaders in central parks, I've been reading about the president of Azerbaijan paying millions of dollars for the refurbishment of parks around the world, in return, the countries benefiting from the aid must put a statue of said President in the refurbished park.

In the past couple of months I read of such schemes taking place in Mexico City and in Belgrade, although in Mexico there was some public outcry and the statue has been removed, despite the millions invested by the Azerbaijani government.

On a slightly related topic I remember a statue of General De Gaulle somewhere in central Québec, I believe the phrase Vive le Québec libre is engraved in the statue.

If I had meant 'Lennon in Central Park', I would have said "Lennon in Central Park". Central Park is in New York City, not Seattle. And Lenin is not Lennon.

Don't they teach geography anymore? :rolleyes:

THE SONGS OF LENIN AND MCCARTHY.

BY JIMMY CHEN

- - - -

Lenin

“Still in the USSR”

“Baby, You’re Not a Rich Man”

“Being for the Benefit of Mr. Marx!”

“All You Need Is State”

“Magical Bolshevik Tour”

“Paperback Propaganda Writer”

“Happiness Is a Cold War”

“Revolution”

McCarthy

“Here, There, and Everywhere (Communists)”

“Everybody’s Got Something to Hide, Period”

“Red Submarine”

“We Can’t Work It Out”

“Blackbook”

“Your Father Should Know”

“Baby It’s You”

“I’ve Got a Feeling”

“Hey Jew”

“Revolution 9”

That's what I was wondering, too. Besides, the poor woman is supposedly near death already, or at least her quality of life isn't too hot now that she suffers from dementia or Alzheimer's...I forget which.

Don't get me started on this subject. There is only a certain amount of rage that I can type. Needless to say there will be a big party when the old hag goes. She was quoted as saying " I can get by on 4 hours sleep a night". Yeah too right the word GUILT comes to mind. And as far as her quality of life..... she should think long and hard about the amount of lives she ruined and the consequences of life in the UK due to her selling off the family jewels

So a four year old newspaper article confirms that EVERYWHERE in the UK is under 24 hour security? Right.

My point is violent crime and theft are off the charts in the UK. Bringing this back more squarely on topic, I personally believe Thatcher was a fine Prime Minister BUT I also completely understand those who believe the opposite to be true, perhaps best articulated in this speech by Peter Postlethwaite in the 1996 film Brassed Off:

Don't get me started on this subject. There is only a certain amount of rage that I can type. Needless to say there will be a big party when the old hag goes. She was quoted as saying " I can get by on 4 hours sleep a night". Yeah too right the word GUILT comes to mind. And as far as her quality of life..... she should think long and hard about the amount of lives she ruined and the consequences of life in the UK due to her selling off the family jewels

Now I am very curious to find out what this woman did that was so wrong? I was under the impression that she was elected more than once and was a great friend to the USA.

How did she ruin your life?

Now I am very curious to find out what this woman did that was so wrong? I was under the impression that she was elected more than once and was a great friend to the USA.

How did she ruin your life?

I am from the North of England. I need to say no more than that.

I am from the North of England. I need to say no more than that.

Do people in the North of England hate people in the south of England? As a fan of the English, their culture and their great contributions to rock music, I am trying to understand this? I thought the UK was not like the US when it came to regional hatred like the north and south?

No, we are not like the US in this respect - we are much worse.

We are a smaller place, and there is just as much regional hatred all bottled up here, if not more. Consequently, the hatred:mileage ratio is far higher here, and the simmering resentments are more acutely felt as one passes from the south to the north. This is largely the result of our Labour party's espousal & promulgation of the 'politics of envy'.

We have a lot of the same politics of envy over here.

Archived