TEEN IDOLS: PICK YOUR POISON

Strider

Okay...I'll confess. I hope that you all don't think (much) less of me. :)

My first album purchase was...Bobby Sherman. He will forever hold a special place in my heart. I just looooved "Here Come the Brides". And, my first concert that I attended all by myself was...David Cassidy. I was 11. Sue me.

Also liked The Osmond Brothers and The Jackson Five.

Still love The Monkees.

After that, the list leaves me behind.

Fucking hell...I had no idea this would practically turn into a Kiss thread. Some of you seem wrapped too tight. Relax...it was just a joke. Any response I have will be given in the Kiss thread where it belongs. That is, if I can be bothered to think about Kiss for more than a second or two. I've more important things on my mind...like the American Justice System, bracketology and Kobe Bryant's injury.

Since there is some confusion, let me clarify a couple issues.

I purposely kept the list to musical acts...no tv stars or movie stars. The list would have been too unwieldy otherwise. Besides, this is a music-oriented forum, so I felt music was the best focus. I left off Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Fabian, the Beatles and the first wave of the British Invasion because most of us are too young to have experienced them first-hand. A twelve-year old girl today can still be an Elvis fan, but it's not the same context as the girls in the 1950s experienced Elvis.

Also, Elvis, Sinatra, the Stones and the Beatles all gained critical and cultural credibility and impact that most of those on my list didn't.

The other point I need to clear up is that I am not saying EVERYONE liked one of those teeny-bop stats growing up. I know many of you, myself included, were already into harder groups like Zeppelin and Alice Cooper and Sabbath by the time you were 10. I wasn't asking what groups you were into at age 10 or 12 or whatever; I was asking if you had to choose one of those teeny-bopper acts, which one would it be?

Hence, the 'Pick your poison' reference in the title.

To April and lightandshade: Like most people my age, I gave Hanson a pass when they first burst on the scene with "Mmmbop". Not that the song wasn't catchy...it was...they were just too young and clearly aimed at the tween-teen girl market.

Then, years later...around 2003 or 2004, I started seeing this girl. We met at a Mars Volta show and she was into a bunch of cool, indie bands and hard rock. One day she surprised me with the news that she was going to see Hanson in concert. I don't know what surprised me more...that she was a fan or that Hanson was even still around, haha. I begged off going that night, and a couple more times when she tried to get me to go. Finally, after the fourth time, I relented and went to check them out.

You know what? Hanson weren't bad...I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to say they were great but they were a serviceable band that had some decent songs and a fairly entertaining stage presence. They certainly were far more entertaining than bands like Creed, Nickelback, Matchbox 20...bands whose fans would probably sneer at the likes of Hanson.

Therein lies the dilemma a band like Hanson faces as they grow out of their initial teeny-bopper stage. On the one hand, they run the risk of alienating their initial tween audience by growing up, musically and physically. On the other, the older and more serious rock fans never give them a chance because in their minds, Hanson will always be that teeny-bopper band. It takes a great deal of confidence and perseverance to keep soldiering on like Hanson has done, and break through the chains of teen-idol-dom and into artistic growth and freedom.

It took me four pages because the last time I posted on the thread it was only two pages and everything seemed fine. I wasn't on the computer at all yesterday, so by this afternoon when I finally got around to catching up on the thread, that's when I finally noticed all the Kiss posts.

So who is the attention whore? I'm not the one obsessively posting about Kiss in this thread. I don't see how I can be an attention-whore when I don't post that much. I started this thread in the spirit of fun, as a lark, after a conversation I had with a friend about the difference, if any, between the teen pop stars of today and yesteryear.

For some reason, you took it personally that I included Kiss and pedantically started posting the same gibberish defending Kiss over and over. Lighten up...not everybody is out to get you. You couldn't even take my "son" remark in good humour, when most people I know don't take offense to such a harnless jest.

They certainly were far more entertaining than bands like Creed, Nickelback,

Brings me to the question (I didn't want to start a thread about it, but maybe I one day will)

"What is it that makes people hate Shmickelback?"

There are plenty of people at their concerts, it seems, but I never really met anyone who really LIKED them.

Brings me to the question (I didn't want to start a thread about it, but maybe I one day will)

"What is it that makes people hate Shmickelback?"

There are plenty of people at their concerts, it seems, but I never really met anyone who really LIKED them.

of the songs i've heard of them, which isn't many, i do like them.:)

Okay...I'll confess. I hope that you all don't think (much) less of me. :)

My first album purchase was...Bobby Sherman. He will forever hold a special place in my heart. I just looooved "Here Come the Brides". And, my first concert that I attended all by myself was...David Cassidy. I was 11. Sue me.

Also liked The Osmond Brothers and The Jackson Five.

My mom had the exact same tastes as you, so I was brought up on a steady diet of HCTB/Sherman/Cassidys/Osmonds (I also got classic rock from my dad, to balance things out). Cheesy as heck, for sure, but like you there's a fun nostalgia I hold for all of it. And yes, Bobby was definitely cute! When I was really little, I wanted to change my name to Julie. :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks for sharing your Hanson story, Strider. I actually find similar responses from most people; once they get past the obligatory "they look and sound like girls" comments and listen to more of their music, they discover there's some talent/entertainment there. I check in with them every couple of years and enjoy catching up on their albums, as well as their live performances on youtube. But of course, I'm sure that part of mine and April's enjoyment of them comes from fond remembrances of our fan club/Mrs. Taylor Hanson days. :lol:

Speaking of, my aforementioned sister in fandom just notified me that yesterday was Taylor's 30th birthday. He and his wife just welcomed their fifth child. FIVE KIDS! I'm only 24, but that makes me feel really old. :lol:

Let's toast to Taylor, and enjoy his response to one of music's most haunting unanswered questions - what does "MMMBop" actually mean? :lol:

I don't think anyone was calling their talent (or lack thereof) into question, rather it's Strider's designation of them as "teen idols", which was apparently meant as a joke.

I am only saying they suck in comparison to bands like LZ and many other great rock bands of the day. They were more about appearance than music. I am not saying they had nothing of worth.

I am only saying they suck in comparison to bands like LZ and many other great rock bands of the day. They were more about appearance than music. I am not saying they had nothing of worth.

As a teenager in the 70's who was a fan of Kiss during their heyday, musical ability (or the lack thereof) didn't really matter to me when it came to bands like Kiss. That said, they weren't nearly as vapid musically as they're often made out to be. To me, it was just as much about the rock n' roll as it was the spectacle but the rock show was obviously a huge part of their appeal and still is.

Up through Kiss Alive, which is a fantastic live album, they were pretty legit musically.

I wasn't a huge fan, but those first 4 albums were badass.

Maybe not quite Zeppelin, but as good as any and better than most.

It wasn't the makeup and hype that sold those first 4 albums.

Up through Kiss Alive, which is a fantastic live album, they were pretty legit musically.

I wasn't a huge fan, but those first 4 albums were badass.

Maybe not quite Zeppelin? MAYBE NOT QUITE ZEPPELIN???????????????? :wall:

MORE LIKE NOT WORTHY OF BEING MENTIONED IN THE SAME BREATH AS LED ZEPPELIN.

Maybe not quite Zeppelin? MAYBE NOT QUITE ZEPPELIN???????????????? :wall:

MORE LIKE NOT WORTHY OF BEING MENTIONED IN THE SAME BREATH AS LED ZEPPELIN.

From your comments, your disdain for KISS is pretty obvious.

I'm neither rabid fan nor hater.

Unfortunately, your comments are blatantly subjective and of little use in a normal discussion.

To you they "SUCKED" and aren't "WORTHY OF BEING MENTIONED IN THE SAME BREATH" as Zeppelin.

Fine.

But that's like, just your opinion man. (some will get it, LOL)

The fact is they were one of the top-selling and performing bands of the 70s, regardless of your personal opinion.

I'm reminded of the blatantly subjective opinions of Ted Nugent by many here, as well.

They let their dislike of his politics overwhelm their opinions about his music and his status in the overall heirarchy of Rock music.

Much like your opinion of Led Zeppelin (like many of us here) is blatantly biased and overblown.

To us, no one else even compares.

But on average, they are, as Virgil Kane pointed out, quite often mentioned in the same breath, because they were contemporaries.

There are undoubtedly KISS fans who feel the same way about other bands not being worthy, etc.

Objectivity is the key to good discussions; subjectivity, their bane.

Their first three albums didn't sell much at all, until 'Alive' was released and then "Beth" hit.....

Back to teen idols(?)....Leif Garrett and Shaun Cassidy were definitely two of my sisters favorites back in the 70's. I never got into the female ones because I just didn't like that kind of music. As I said earlier, Debbie Gibson was cute and respectable because she wrote her own music and played piano - so she had my attention.

Like it or not, Zeppelin and Kiss were peers in the 1970's and were frequently mentioned in the same breath back then and in all likelihood, always will be. They may have never shared a stage together but they did share stages with a shit ton of other bands, including Aerosmith. Another one would be Rush, who I'm sure could play circles around Kiss when it came to musicianship but lots of people (myself included) liked all kinds of music so musical ability or technical prowess didn't really matter.

Mid-late 70's, definitely. I think Kiss would freely admit that as players, they paled in comparison to LZ. But they were in that Upper League Major Rock Act Club from 1976-1979. At least in the U.S.

Kiss also looked up to Zeppelin.. More than once I've seen compliments, mostly from Paul Stanley.

I think Ace Frehley modeled himself after Jimmy somewhat. Stanley has said that he felt in the early days Ace had a "Jimmy Page-ish" quality to his playing.. (go nuts people). He's not Jimmy Page by any means but he did have a vibe and mystique to him like Page.. At least until he started singing with his New York accent..which (for me) killed the Space Ace persona..

I'll take a band that has something interesting about them that aren't the greatest players over a band of amazing players that write boring songs.. Kiss had something interesting going for them..

To April and lightandshade: Like most people my age, I gave Hanson a pass when they first burst on the scene with "Mmmbop". Not that the song wasn't catchy...it was...they were just too young and clearly aimed at the tween-teen girl market.

Then, years later...around 2003 or 2004, I started seeing this girl. We met at a Mars Volta show and she was into a bunch of cool, indie bands and hard rock. One day she surprised me with the news that she was going to see Hanson in concert. I don't know what surprised me more...that she was a fan or that Hanson was even still around, haha. I begged off going that night, and a couple more times when she tried to get me to go. Finally, after the fourth time, I relented and went to check them out.

You know what? Hanson weren't bad...I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to say they were great but they were a serviceable band that had some decent songs and a fairly entertaining stage presence. They certainly were far more entertaining than bands like Creed, Nickelback, Matchbox 20...bands whose fans would probably sneer at the likes of Hanson.

Therein lies the dilemma a band like Hanson faces as they grow out of their initial teeny-bopper stage. On the one hand, they run the risk of alienating their initial tween audience by growing up, musically and physically. On the other, the older and more serious rock fans never give them a chance because in their minds, Hanson will always be that teeny-bopper band. It takes a great deal of confidence and perseverance to keep soldiering on like Hanson has done, and break through the chains of teen-idol-dom and into artistic growth and freedom.

Sean!! As if I didn't already like you enough! You've seen Hanson!!! :D:friends: Their 2003/4 stuff was/is soooo good! Underneath is probably my favourite album of theirs :D

Another cool thing about them and one of the reasons they've been able to grow as a band is that they created their own indie label 3CG Records.

Thanks for sharing your Hanson story, Strider. I actually find similar responses from most people; once they get past the obligatory "they look and sound like girls" comments and listen to more of their music, they discover there's some talent/entertainment there. I check in with them every couple of years and enjoy catching up on their albums, as well as their live performances on youtube. But of course, I'm sure that part of mine and April's enjoyment of them comes from fond remembrances of our fan club/Mrs. Taylor Hanson days. :lol:

Speaking of, my aforementioned sister in fandom just notified me that yesterday was Taylor's 30th birthday. He and his wife just welcomed their fifth child. FIVE KIDS! I'm only 24, but that makes me feel really old. :lol:

Let's toast to Taylor, and enjoy his response to one of music's most haunting unanswered questions - what does "MMMBop" actually mean? :lol:

Haha YES!!! And OMG i know I can't believe he has five kids either! He always did say he wanted an army. ^_^ Love the video! :D As you know I went through my old Teen Beats and Tiger Beats the other day and the interviews were so funny! They all had that question plus other equally important ones like, "What is the secret no one knows?" :lol:

Do you notice there aren't any female 70s stars listed? There were lots of great females but perhaps didn't capture that idol status. Donny Osmond was big, I am sure some guys liked Marie too. I would have to say Olivia NJ would have been a teen idol. Sonny and Cher were huge. I guess it really depends on your age,etc. Non musically Charlie's Angels gals were it in the 70s.

Archived