Favorite live version of In My Time of Dying...

paul carruthers

To clarify, I'm partial to the Kashmir 77 versions over the 1975 versions because Robert's voice was way better, Bonzo's double rim shot, the Danelectro worked better for it, and the mellotron didn't sound so strained. The outros were also way better.

Experiencing Kashmir in person, was better in 77 than 75. It just was. The balance, the power, the vocal and the guitar over the top of the heavy bass and percussion. The boots may not render all of that, but I know what I experienced being there "in the room", and 77 was x10 more powerful than the studio version (listening at loud volumes).

IMTOD live has always been such an enigma to me in regards to Page's playing. This song is without a doubt one of the hardest, most complex songs in the Zep canon to play, everything must come off perfectly, one screw up and the whole thing falls apart. Jones very fast, complex bass line, Bonham's drum patterns and stop - start nature of the song, and of course the absolutely inhuman precision Jimmy has to maintain throughout this complex arrangement plus the fastest slide leads I have ever heard anywhere. So, how the heck did the band, and especially Jimmy nail this song so consistently on the 77' tour yet sometimes struggle with a Misty Mountain Hop or Sick Again, two extremely easy songs to play???

Maybe where it fell in the setlist on that particular night? In other words, if it was before, it might have just worn the heck out of him from a mental point of view, and if it fell later in the setlist perhaps he was really focussing his attention for what was coming up because it was such a key moment of the show.

• 6 months later...

"For the most part" indeed in the case of "Trampled"...I don't think Plant ever sang the correct lyrics (he tended to repeat verses over and over in live performance), some of Page's solos were a little bit iffy (Tempe '77 probably being the prime example) and sometimes they tended to speed up a bit coming out of Page's solo (the final performance in Berlin '80 is a good example of this). And, as mentioned in other discussions, some of the 1977 versions were really plodding (especially when performed as an encore). So, for me, execution-wise as a live performance piece, I'd have to give "Trampled Under Foot" maybe a seven out of ten.

Getting back to "In My Time Of Dying", I reckon that on the night the performance of the song was really on if Bonham was on. Sometimes he tended to get carried away and nearly threw the rest of the band off (Houston and Fort Worth '77, anyone?) and on nights when Bonzo wasn't at his best it sorta made the song drag a bit (I think this is my main issue with the June 25 '77 L.A. version).

I would be inclined to say that "IMTOD", "Trampled Under Foot" and "Kashmir" were performed better in 1975 than in 1977.

I tend to agree with this! I really really like the 1975 versions of these songs definitely! I dont care how Robert sounded, Even with his voice the wa it was i still think it soundd good, It just went with it and in some songs it was better! Anyway! Like most people will say, I think the Earls court version on TU on the 24th was really really awesome!!! But i also think that this one was really awesome too!

Its really hard for me to pick "The Best" of things when it comes to zep. Most of my "The Best" opinions are the 1975 tour and the 1977 tour. My favorit efor the longest has been 75, But lately i have been hooked on 77 so it varies from time to time! I also thin there are very good versions of songs from 72 as well (And i dont listen to the earlier years much) But like I really think This is one of the best versions of Dazed ever!!! The bow solo is just so amazing!!!!

Anyway im rambling! LOL!!! Sorry

• 1 month later...

Archived