Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Well I'm a RED SOX fan! :rolleyes:

I'll explain later, have to hit the sack.

*stepping out of the box from Liz's high inside fastball*

I have no problem with Red Sox fans, I know plenty of them. I have a problem with those who look down at fans of other teams and provided you're not one of them.....no fastballs.

As I was going to say I'm a sox fan but not homegrown. Just happened that as a young boy my family and I lived in Newport, RI for a few years and I followed them back in the days of Yaz and Petrocelli etc.

I'm not a Yankee hater either.

One thing I have come to notice was some Sox fans are pretty nasty.

During their championship/world series run I had joined a couple blogs and abandoned them very quickly because of the fighting amongst themselves. Even after they won it seemed like they celebrated the oppositions loss more than their own victory.

I'm just a sports fan when it comes to baseball since we don't have our own home team other than a minor league team and of course NFL and NBA.

Liz I checked out your blog, you have a nice piece of work going there, are you a sports writer/studying to be one? :thumbsup:

Thanks for trying Matt, but my kind is appreciated in this thread.

Being ribbed doesn't mean you're not appreciated;.. quite the contrary, in fact. B)

For the record..I do appreciate your baseball acumen, Liz, and I enjoy reading your posts. But we all know that when the Yanks are on top, their fans like to rub it in. So afaic, when the Yanks are down, their fans gotta suck it up and "take it" as well as they dish it out. And any time a Yanks fan starts playing the "you don't understand us" victim card (or some such thing as that), they're gonna get a ribbing from me. They can count on that. However,.. in the big picture of things, it's all in the spirit of fun. So,.. no hard feelings, eh? ;)

Come on.. lets all.. play ball! :thumbsup:

Spring training is upon us and hope springs eternal! :cheer:

When I was in Vegas last weekend I stopped by the sports book at MGM Grand and

picked up the sheet listing the odds of each team winning the 2008 World Series.

BoSox.. 3/1

Tigers.. 4/1

Yankees.. 6/1

Angels.. 8/1

Mariners.. 30/1

A's... 35/1

Giants.. 60/1

Anyone else wanna know their team's odds of winning the WS,..

just lemme know your team and I'll post the odds.

What? Nobody digs West Coast teams around here? Shit. I'm gonna take my ball and go home. :(

:lol:

I like the Dodgers. I'll never forget that shot of rollie pollie Tommy Lasorda rolling out on the field after they won the series Hahahahahahaha! :hysterical:

Liz I checked out your blog, you have a nice piece of work going there, are you a sports writer/studying to be one? :thumbsup:

Nope, just passionate about baseball. I always have been. I would love to be one, but I don't think my writing is refined enough for that. Then again, Mike Lupica still has a job, so maybe there's hope for me.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Awesome.

OK, the Tigers bullpen is quite worrisome. Fernando Rodney is starting the year on the DL, Zumaya will be out for 1/2 the year, and Todd Jones is a total gas can. The lineup will put up a ton of runs with their Murderers Row, but championships come down to pitching. It's like the Yankees the last few years...awesome lineup with big scoring, but they haven't won championships.

There's few things worse for a fan, than watching your team beat up on teams with a fraction of their payroll all season long, hearing the announcers gush over their dream batting order every game - and then getting slammed in the first playoff round. After dominating teams like the Rangers and Orioles in the playoffs not so long ago, the Yankees decide to emulate their game plan?

Hey E-phile, what do you think: Is Ian Kennedy in or out of the rotation? Something tells me he'll be in, with Chamberlain in the bullpen. Kennedy's a little more mature and has better command of all his pitches, and Chamberlain already has shown he can pitch out of the pen (which is not an easy transition for a young starter). Regardless, those three guys they have will be a hell of a nucleus in years to come, once the dead weight (cough, Mussina, cough) departs.

FYI, two weeks later, Kennedy's in the rotation and Chamberlain is in the pen. I'm guessing Girardi must be a big fan of Zeppelin You're welcome, Joe. :whistling:

There's few things worse for a fan, than watching your team beat up on teams with a fraction of their payroll all season long, hearing the announcers gush over their dream batting order every game - and then getting slammed in the first playoff round. After dominating teams like the Rangers and Orioles in the playoffs not so long ago, the Yankees decide to emulate their game plan?

Um, not sure what you're meaning with that. The Orioles (Tejada) and Rangers (A-Rod) both have spent a LOT of money on players...the difference was they didn't generate the chemistry. They were far from having self-generating major league rosters. And losing in the first round of the playoffs happens...though the Yanks just haven't been the same since blowing that 3-0 lead to Boston a few years back.

Let me just say that I am a very casual fan of baseball, but have played competitive softball and have some experience with team chemistry. It is very difficult to develop this when your stratagy is to assemble the veteran players based on their individual statistics. Letting players mature together, though it takes patience and you have to concede some seasons, is the more proven way - and for the real fans, the ultimate payoff. I think the Yankees are still stuck with certain players whose versatility is limited, but the latest commitment to younger players will pay off over the next few (or many, even?) years. And I do support the manager change, with all respect to Torre. After all, he was there when they did it the right way, back in the mid 90's.

Let's not be history revisionists when it comes to the Yankees' 1996 World Series team. Sure they did have a few guys who had come through the farm system together (Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Bernie Williams, Posada). But seriously, the rest of the guys on that team were bought and paid for free agents:

C Joe Girardi

1B Tino Martinez

2B Mariano Duncan

3B Wade Boggs

SS Derek Jeter

LF Gerald Williams

CF Bernie Williams

RF Paul O'Neill

DH Ruben Sierra

Key reserves: Jim Leyritz, Darryl Strawberry, Tim Raines, Cecil Fielder, Andy Fox, Ruben Rivera, Mike Aldrete, Charlie Hayes, Luis Sojo, Pat Kelly, Jorge Posada

SP Andy Pettitte

SP Jimmy Key

SP Kenny Rogers

SP Dwight Gooden

SP David Cone

SP Ramiro Mendoza

SP Scott Kamieniecki

CL John Wetteland

RP Jeff Nelson

RP Mariano Rivera

RP Bob Wickman

----

As for the current group, I don't know where the idea of inflexibility comes. Posada had a career year last season. Jeter's consistent at SS. A-Rod is the best player in baseball. Robinson Cano is a .320 hitter with plus power at 2B. Abreu-Cabrera-Matsui in the OF is very solid. Plus you have Damon and Giambi who alternate at DH and other positions (OF and 1B).

The rotation, other than Mussina, is completely home-grown now (even though Pettitte did leave and return) and relatively young. The future of Hughes-Kennedy-Wang looks great, and I still think Joba ends up taking over for Rivera.

Whoa Solar, what's going on, for being from Michigan you know an awful lot about the Yankees! :unsure:

Haha, Matt, you're going to hate me for doing this because it's going to preoccupy your next two weeks until opening day. It's the best baseball site out there:

http://www.baseball-reference.com

Edited by solar

Well, looks like the Tigers have locked up Miguel Cabrera for 8 years. So they've signed Carbrera and Willis to long-term deals, putting to rest any criticism they got about trading young prospects like Maybin and Miller, for "short term" stars. The reality is that they got 2 of the most talented young guys in the league, and have them for a long time!

Well I must say Im a long suffering Orioles fan. Brooks Robinson is my al tim e fav followed by the Late Dave McNally who hit a grand slam against the reds in 1970. Hate the Yankees. Even though im in NY state. I loved it when the Red Sox pulled off the great comeback.