Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Hi all,

Hi Matt,all,

Now I am not saying we,deserve this,we being fans of Boston/New England sports,...

Yet for many years we could only talk about the Celtics,and early Bruins and even eariler Red Sox(like the early 20th century!)

There were morons around here who wanted to kill,yes kill Bill Buckner,oever a baseball game,he came back and some how the morons got a CC degree,... :D

I think any fan of a team wants to do well,have a cheer and a smile and win a championship

shoot,let's check out the Celts vs Pistons,...right now! B)

KB

I hated Boston fans forever when they did that to Buckner! I even went as far as saying I would retire from baseball if the Red Sox won a World Series....but hey you got to tip your cap to the Patriots/Celtics/ and Red Sox for the last ten years or so...

now it's time for my Cubbies to go and win it all....Hey Hey :D

Great youtube clip of Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter in 1991, it shows all 16 of his strikeouts in that game. The guy was just filthy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHj-lBYPaTc

Remember when he beat the crap out of whats his name?(he was a third baseman and played for the Mets as well) from the White Sox.....hahahahaha-LMFAO!

damn his name is at the tip of my tounge

Edited by Fresh Garbage

Of course...

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by MLB Advanced Media

I was watching that game when it happened and I was pulling for the old man,he noogied him good and it was hilarious!!!! Nolan was/is the man!!!

Man, look at the Tigers!! At 60 games, they were 12 games under .500. Now, at 80 games, they've hit the .500 mark, and are 5 games out of first. They've won 14 out of their last 17, and have won 6 straight series. There's a long way to go yet, but this is a dangerous team!

Tigers win again, swept the Rockies. They're a game over .500 now, and 4.5 out of first place.

And Electro, the Yanks are 6 games over .500, they're doing better than I thought! You're just in a tough division with the Red Sox and the surprising Rays.

And Electro, the Yanks are 6 games over .500, they're doing better than I thought! You're just in a tough division with the Red Sox and the surprising Rays.

This division will be tough for a while. I'm just praying and hoping and wishing and praying some more than Cashman DOES NOT sign Barry Bonds. I will quit watching the Yankees as long as he's in my team's uniform if that ends up being the case.

.......and you think I care? I don't seem to recall asking for your opinion of my baseball team's financial statements. If you actually knew anything about the Yankees and what Brian Cashman has done in the last few years, cleaning up the messes George Steinbrenner left for him, you'd know that our payroll will be drastically cut at the start of next season when we lose several heavy contracts. You'd also know that we've rebuilt our farm team back to what it was in the early 90s so that our GM no longer HAS to go buy players like how Steinbrenner destroyed the team in the early 00s.

But since you don't know any of that, keep talking nonsense.

BTW, I'm well aware we're not going to be winning the WS for a while. I'd rather wait and get our team back to what it was in the late 90s before we start winning championships again. Players like Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain deserve a better team to win on than the one they're playing for right now.

Edited by Electrophile

What gives you the right to tell me my opinion means nothing? You are stating your opinion on a forum/message board are you not? So I don't agree with your opinions. That gives you the right to jump on me? I know more about the greedy Yankees than you will ever know. In fact, I have a cousin that played for them and in fact replaced Babe Ruth in the outfield in the later 1920's. His name was George Selkirk. Go look it up. I hate the Yankees of today and all they represent. Greed and not allowing the smaller markets to go anywhere. So you young whippersnapper don't act like you know everything and everyone else is stupid.

Blah blah blah. The Yankees are not, repeat NOT what's wrong with baseball. But you keep swallowing the crap ESPN feeds you. Most baseball fans do.

BTW, how old are you.....80? Who the hell uses the word "whippersnapper" that doesn't remember the Calvin Coolidge administration?

Edited by Electrophile

Your blah blah blah statement gives me a very good indication of your lack of intelligence. You are tye type of person that is just going to insult people that don't agree with you. Run off now little girl and learn more about sports before opening your mouth.

Haha, look at you trying to be funny. I know more about sports than my own dad. Who do you think taught me to appreciate sports? Our cat?

BTW, thanks for coming back Rick, under yet another new screenname. Just can't stay away, huh? Guess I'll add to the ever-growing pile.

Edited by Electrophile

What gives you the right to tell me my opinion means nothing? You are stating your opinion on a forum/message board are you not? So I don't agree with your opinions. That gives you the right to jump on me? I know more about the greedy Yankees than you will ever know. In fact, I have a cousin that played for them and in fact replaced Babe Ruth in the outfield in the later 1920's. His name was George Selkirk. Go look it up. I hate the Yankees of today and all they represent. Greed and not allowing the smaller markets to go anywhere. So you young whippersnapper don't act like you know everything and everyone else is stupid.

But do you know who Babe Ruth replaced in the outfield before that?

I'll give you a hint:.... his first name was also George

there is no salary cap in baseball so you can't blame the Yankees for what they are doing. I agree that it sucks that teams like the Pirates/Reds/ect. can't compete when they are only getting 20 million year for tv deals while the Yankees get 500 million. the league needs to either help the teams above or make a salary cap. bottom line.

Edited by Fresh Garbage

But do you know who Babe Ruth replaced in the outfield before that?

I'll give you a hint:.... his first name was also George

there is no salary cap in baseball so you can't blame the Yankees for what they are doing. I agree that it sucks that teams like the Pirates/Reds/ect. can't compete when they are only getting 20 million year for tv deals while the Yankees get 500 million. the league needs to either help the teams above or make a salary cap. bottom line.

People like to complain about the lack of salary cap and the Yankees' payroll "hurting" the small market teams, but if you look at it a little deeper, it's not really the case. In the last 25-30 years, there have been more different World Series champs than the salary cap sports. Look at the NBA...dominated over the past 25 years by the Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, Celtics, and Lakers. In the NFL, you had the Cowboys and 49ers in the 80's and 90's and the Patriots in more recent years.

Look at the champs in baseball since '83...Orioles, Tigers, Royals, Mets, Twins, Dodgers, A's, Reds, Twins, Blue Jays, Braves, Yankees, Marlins, D'backs, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals. The Jays won 2 titles, the Yankees won 4, and the Red Sox have won 2. But that's still many more individual champs than any salary cap sport.

And every year, you have small market teams with small payrolls that are very competitive. Look at the Tampa Rays this year!

People like to complain about the lack of salary cap and the Yankees' payroll "hurting" the small market teams, but if you look at it a little deeper, it's not really the case. In the last 25-30 years, there have been more different World Series champs than the salary cap sports. Look at the NBA...dominated over the past 25 years by the Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, Celtics, and Lakers. In the NFL, you had the Cowboys and 49ers in the 80's and 90's and the Patriots in more recent years.

Look at the champs in baseball since '83...Orioles, Tigers, Royals, Mets, Twins, Dodgers, A's, Reds, Twins, Blue Jays, Braves, Yankees, Marlins, D'backs, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals. The Jays won 2 titles, the Yankees won 4, and the Red Sox have won 2. But that's still many more individual champs than any salary cap sport.

And every year, you have small market teams with small payrolls that are very competitive. Look at the Tampa Rays this year!

Over the last 25 World Series these teams consisted of 41 out of the 50 that played.

Oakland-3

Yankees-6

Braves-5

St.Louis-5

Boston-3

Detroit-2

Minnesota-2

Toronto-2

Mets-2

S.D-2

S.F-2

Phillies-2

Marlins-2

Cleveland-2

that's only 14 teams bro!

I will agree the last 3 years we got to see the White Sox/Houston/Detroit/and Colorado to change things up. (but over the last 11 years in the NFL 16 different teams played in the SB) just think of all the teams that were building that couldn't afford to keep a winning team over the last 25 World Series? and that number outweighs the number of teams on the list above.

Edited by Fresh Garbage

Alright, but if you want to talk about winners, there have been 14 different Super Bowl champs in the last 25 Super Bowls, and there have been 17 different World Series champs in the last 25. And in the NBA, there have only been SEVEN different champs in the last 25 years.

Correction: Teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh get about $50 million a year in revenue sharing from the Yankees. What do they do with that money? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They sit on it and don't invest that money into putting a quality product on the field. They have no one to blame but themselves for their teams' failures. Yeah they used to have good teams.......about 20-25 years ago when the sport of baseball was different, not just the teams.

So you are saying the market size means nothing? I doubt that is what you mean. You seem like another gloating Yankees fan. But all your money has bought you nothing recently. What was that Beatles song? Money cant buy me a world series? No it was love. The Yankees are who everyone should hate. Especially if you are for the lower income, middle working class in this country. You Yankees fans are all hipocrits! They are going nowhere again.

I'll point out all the lies/fallacies/false statements in your post for the children.

Rick, take a hint and learn to spell. My family IS the middle working class in this country. How many screen names is this for you now? Furthermore, if the Yankees are going nowhere (as you state).....how can I be gloating when according to you, I have nothing to gloat about? Caught you. Now re-register under another name and try not to get caught this time.

Edited by Electrophile