Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

As an Angels fan, I hate the hell out of the Red Sox, but I have to admire the amount of dough they are pouring into Fenway. In fact, I dont think Fenway's ever looked as good, even going back to the 50's. The Yankees really botched their stadium experience with the 70's renovation. They are building the new stadium basically cause they stripped all the charm from the place in '74, and calling it 'hallowed ground' wasn't enough.

How about that Garza/Barlett/minor league pitcher for Delmon Young/Brendan Harris/minor league OF (Pridie) deal the Twins and Rays made? Looks like the new Twins GM isn't afraid of a little risk taking, because the reward with Young could reap huge dividends.

Anyone here as big a fan of the Washington Nationals as I am? I'm a season ticket holder and will be there for the first game at the new stadium (that is, the pre-season exhibition game, not the home opener).

yup, I'm a Nats fan. I can't wait to see the new stadium.

I don't have season tickets but I went to 4 games last year.

I'm also an Orioles fan...

Anyone want Miguel Tejada?

seriously, he totally sucks now. The Orioles ruined another veteran. Take him now before he can't get it back.

yeah I'm gonna make lot's of friends between the Boston, New York, and Washington fans :)

As an Angels fan, I hate the hell out of the Red Sox, but I have to admire the amount of dough they are pouring into Fenway. In fact, I dont think Fenway's ever looked as good, even going back to the 50's. The Yankees really botched their stadium experience with the 70's renovation. They are building the new stadium basically cause they stripped all the charm from the place in '74, and calling it 'hallowed ground' wasn't enough.

Yeah, I wish they could've done some things with Tiger Stadium like the Red Sox have done with Fenway, to keep it open. Tiger Stadium opened on the SAME DAY as Fenway, so when it closed in 1999, it was tied for the oldest stadium. Fenway has made improvements and modernizations, without compromising the historic integrity. I think the Tigers could have done the same.

yup, I'm a Nats fan. I can't wait to see the new stadium.

I don't have season tickets but I went to 4 games last year.

I'm also an Orioles fan...

<snip>

yeah I'm gonna make lot's of friends between the Boston, New York, and Washington fans :)

I won't be an Os fan until Peter Angelos either resigns, dies or somehow atones for his egregious sins against the Nats ballclub. Not sure which I'd enjoy the most.

But let me know if you're heading out to Nationals Park sometime. I'll be at all 20 of the 20-game "Plan B" games.

I won't be an Os fan until Peter Angelos either resigns, dies or somehow atones for his egregious sins against the Nats ballclub. Not sure which I'd enjoy the most.

But let me know if you're heading out to Nationals Park sometime. I'll be at all 20 of the 20-game "Plan B" games.

Yeah I was kind of born into the whole Orioles thing.

I don't have anything against Angelos for hating the Nationals because it was, at the time, his turf. I only say that because the BAL-WASH area is very unique.

That being said, I'm still a big Nats fan because I love baseball and I love the idea of being able to call two teams my own. No matter how crappy they are, and especially because they are in different leagues.

I do have something against him for the silly way he runs his team.

Hopefully the new Orioles President MacPhail won't McFail.

Baltimore and Washington,D.C. are two seperate and distinct areas;I don't give a fuck what the Census people say,they just are.The geographic distance between the two may not be all that great,but they might as well be two seperate countries.

The Orioles are a shambles because Peter Angelos destroyed the Oriole Way.He may have a telent as a businessman,or lawyer,but he needs to get the fuck out of baseball.

As far as D.C. getting a team (again) I wish them the best.At the very least;it'll keep the fuckin' idiots who only go to baseball games as a status symbol,and spend the whole entire game with a cellphone/Bluetooth attached to their ear,out of the best seats at the Yard.

Oh;and open memo to "Pecker" Angelos:The Baltimore Orioles are no longer a "regional" team......they are the Baltimore Orioles........Put "Baltimore" back on the road jerseys!!!!!!! :rant:

I work in downtown Detroit, so during lunch today I went over to the corner of Michigan & Trumbull and took some pics of the old ballpark. I might blow them up and display them with the seats I got in the auction. I'll post tonight when I get home and get them off the camera...

the Nationals stadium looks pretty sweet, I looked at the virtual tour on mlb.com.

Wow, that is a good looking stadium. It's boldly modern...but still feels traditional.

Far off, but has anyone seen the proposal for the A's new field? It upsets me more than pleases me. It's way hi-tech, has a low capacity...it's in FREMONT, of all places, which means you can't just take public transportation there.

They've proposed not only the yard, but a "baseball village", which includes restaurants, housing...even a new elementary school. Part of me is jealous of the kids who are going to live there...but mostly, this is looking way too... sterile. I much prefer the hunk of concrete that is our coliseum (it does a good job also of making sure that the people who come are there for the game). Baseball is the only thing that makes me long for tradition like this.

[ending my vent]

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/oak/ballpark/new/index.jsp

As far as D.C. getting a team (again) I wish them the best.At the very least;it'll keep the fuckin' idiots who only go to baseball games as a status symbol,and spend the whole entire game with a cellphone/Bluetooth attached to their ear,out of the best seats at the Yard. :rant:

I'm with ya on this '59.....I wish they'd just knock it off !!!!!!! urghhh...

6k4g5yg.gif

Hey Mets fans, enjoy having a great catcher in Brian Schneider! And on behalf of the Nationals, you're welcome. You get Ryan Church out of the deal too; sorry to see both of these guys leave DC.

I have no idea who this dude Lastings Milledge is. Guess he played 52 games for the Mets last year. Hope he's worth giving up two of my favorite Nats.

So Andy Pettitte is coming back to the Yankees. And the Yanks have given the Twins a deadline of today to make a deal in the Johan Santana sweepstakes. Whoever gets that guy is gonna get a HUGE upgrade to their pitching staff. I'd love to see the Tigers make a trade for him, but I doubt it'll happen. It'll be the usual suspects...Boston and the Yankees.

So where does everyone think Johan Santana will wind up? The Yanks had given yesterday as the deadline to make a deal with him, and it didn't happen, so it appears over with them, but who knows. Boston looks to be the front-runner.

Can you imagine a 1-2 punch of Josh Beckett and Johan Santana? Nasty.

Breaking news is that a deal is near finalized that would send Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller from the Tigers to the Marlins in return for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

you suck and i hate you and everything you hold dear and i kicked your puppy

:'(

- angel fan

you suck and i hate you and everything you hold dear and i kicked your puppy

:'(

- angel fan

Sorry dude. I like the deal though, but you always hate to give up prospects. Andrew Miller could be very good in the coming years. He struggled this year a bit, but he's only 21 or 22. I don't have a problem with parting with Cameron Maybin. For 2 years, he's been the guy every opposing team has wanted in any deal with the Tigers, he's supposed to be a phenom. But he plays CF, and we already have one of the best young CF's in the league in Curtis Granderson. And Cabrera is only 24, so it's not like we're giving up youth for some old player.

So the Tigers starting rotation looks like: Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, Dontrelle Willis, Kenny Rogers, and Nate Robertson. That's pretty nice.

Our infield will be Miguel Cabrera 3B, Edgar Renteria SS, Placido Polanco 2B, and Carlos Guillen 1B. Outfield is Jacque Jones LF, Curtis Granderson CF, and Magglio Ordonez RF, and Gary Sheffield as DH.

Not bad!

Sorry dude. I like the deal though, but you always hate to give up prospects. Andrew Miller could be very good in the coming years. He struggled this year a bit, but he's only 21 or 22. I don't have a problem with parting with Cameron Maybin. For 2 years, he's been the guy every opposing team has wanted in any deal with the Tigers, he's supposed to be a phenom. But he plays CF, and we already have one of the best young CF's in the league in Curtis Granderson. And Cabrera is only 24, so it's not like we're giving up youth for some old player.

So the Tigers starting rotation looks like: Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, Dontrelle Willis, Kenny Rogers, and Nate Robertson. That's pretty nice.

Our infield will be Miguel Cabrera 3B, Edgar Renteria SS, Placido Polanco 2B, and Carlos Guillen 1B. Outfield is Jacque Jones LF, Curtis Granderson CF, and Magglio Ordonez RF, and Gary Sheffield as DH.

Not bad!

There's more than just Maybin and Miller in this deal. Trahern and De La Cruz are excellent pitching prospects. Don't know much about the Badenhop kid. But that there are four pitching prospects in this show how much was needed to land these Big Fish.

Lineup as I see it shakes out like this:

1. Granderson-CF

2. Polonco-2B

3. Sheffield-DH

4. Ordonez-RF

5. Cabrera-3B

6. Guillen-1B

7. Pudge-C

8. Jones-LF

9. Renteria-SS

Rotation:

Verlander

Willis

Bonderman

Robertson or Rogers at 4 and 5

Breaking news is that a deal is near finalized that would send Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller from the Tigers to the Marlins in return for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

Oh

Hell

Yeah

I'm already excited for next season. That is one sick Line up and starting rotation. Hopefully this is good enough to go toe to toe with Boston and the Angels.

Oh

Hell

Yeah

I'm already excited for next season. That is one sick Line up and starting rotation. Hopefully this is good enough to go toe to toe with Boston and the Angels.

You'll have to go toe to toe with my Indians first. That's an awesome lineup but you need to take on the division first ;)

Archived