Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Go Tigers!!! :hurrah:

In one week I've watched pain in the faces of Cowboy and Yankee fans. It doesn't get any better than that. Great job of managing by Leyland !

Poor Yanks.....In life, sometimes you just don't get what you pay for. :P

Enjoy your division series win, I'll look at those 27 World Titles instead! :P

Cough, cough, cough....no that's not Bong-Man exhaling, that's A-Roid choking AGAIN when he is actually needed to produce.

If anyone has not been paying attention, money does not buy championships - even though that is a popular statement to make when referring to the Yankees. They won more often when their talent was home grown and not brought in at elevated salaries.

I am happy for the city of Detroit also. The Lions have really come along and the Tigers got into the ALCS, while the Red Sox couldn't even get into the playoffs - again - so much for buying success! ;)

:D

Detroit needs winners now, and the Tigers delivered!

I am happy for the city of Detroit also. The Lions have really come along and the Tigers got into the ALCS, while the Red Sox couldn't even get into the playoffs - again - so much for buying success! ;)

:D

With Doug Fister pitching Game 5 last night, he won't be available for Game 2 of the ALCS, so Leyland has moved the Tigers' rotation around. It goes like this...

1 - Verlander

2 - Scherzer

3 - Fister

4 - Porcello

5 - Verlander

6 - Scherzer

7 - Fister

I actually like how that lines up. Barring any rain-suspended games, we get Verlander twice, and I don't mind Fister in a Game 7.

Yeah, that Carpenter / Halladay duel was something.

My Red Sox choked hard in September. For 86 years we were lovable losers, and now that we have rich owners to buy free agents, we're a hated bunch. Funny how that works.

It would be nice if something could be done about baseball's antitrust exemption. It seems like only 6 or 7 teams can compete for the top free agents. I'm still a big fan of the sport, but I don't care for the lopsided differences in team payrolls. Even though my team has a high one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well game 6 last night was remarkable, I've never seen repeated comebacks like that in a WS game. Those last three innings were something else.

I have no rooting interest in either team but as this is the World Series I watch anyway. Great dramatic baseball going on here.

I was out all last night helping a friend with a book signing event, so I had to watch the game this morning on tivo...just now finished watching.

WOW! Epic is a word that gets thrown around much too easily these days, but last night's Game 6 was truly EPIC. It ranks with the Game 6's of the 1975 and 1986 World Series.

Now, for only the third time since baseball went to the Wild Card in 1995, we'll have a Game 7 in the World Series.

I have no love for either team, and traditionally if the Angels or Dodgers aren't in it, I root for the National League team as I don't like the DH.

But the Cardinals have a boat load of WS titles already...and I, too, have some fond memories of Texas. Some not so fond ones, too...but definitely more good memories of Texas than I have of Missouri.

So, I'm leaning more for Texas to win than St. Louis. It'll serve Scoscia right for not keeping Napoli to see Napoli win a WS with Texas.

GAME 7 - GAME ON!!!

• 1 month later...

I can't beleive that the Angels signed Pujols on. What are the Angels thinking??? :huh:

A 10 year contract for 250 mil. They didn't really need a first baseman and if at his age it doesn't work out at that position they could move him to DH.

I really think he should have stayed with SL where his fans loved him and finished his career there.

The Angels have had bad decision making the last few years IMO.

I can't beleive that the Angels signed Pujols on. What are the Angels thinking??? :huh:

That's an understatement to say the least. A 10 YEAR CONTRACT? The Angels will be lucky to get 3 good seasons from him.

That's why I'm not going gaga with excitement like my friends are. $254 million is a lot of bread.

I feel for St. Louis fans, too. It's going to be weird seeing him in an Angel uniform.

A 10 year contract for 250 mil. They didn't really need a first baseman and if at his age it doesn't work out at that position they could move him to DH.

I really think he should have stayed with SL where his fans loved him and finished his career there.

TAX THE RICH!! :rtfm:

Governor Brown is very glad Pujols is now a Californian.

Archived