Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this thread up...not that there's any huge breaking news, but just for some irreverent banter.

:beer:

Spring training is already less than a month away! I know as an A's fan, this upcoming season is going to be like nothing I've ever experienced before (I started watching them in 1998, right when they happened to be starting an upswing). Lots of unfamiliar faces to get to know, lots of young players. You have to start (again) somewhere, and it'll be exciting to see how we grow as a team over the next 8 months or so...

Speaking of young players, the first story on mlb.com today was about how the Rockies are a physical away from signing Troy Tulowitzki, 23-year old SS rookie of the year runner-up, to a 6 year, $30 mil contract. I mean, the kid had a nice 2007 season...but it's his only full season.

In what is becoming an off-season tradition, all together now: "This market is crazy."

(full article)

On a less serious note, one of mlb.com's other top stories :coffee: was the 2008 "Marlins Mermaids" auditions. I was just wondering how other people felt about involving "dance squads" with baseball teams, the fact that these girls are supposed to be "ambassadors" for the clubs, and in general all the "event-izing" of baseball games across the country.

I'm not so hot on the idea, but baseball does tend to bring out the traditionalist in me...or maybe as a straight female I just don't get to enjoy most of the attraction? Then again, I don't think I'd be any more enthused if there was a troupe of go-go boys advertising themselves as the "Marlins Mermen"...

(full article)

Yay, spring training is soon! Can't wait to see the Tigers in action, and how this lineup will stack up. There's a lot to be excited about, they were already a great team and now with the addition of Miguel Cabrera, Dontrell Willis, and Edgar Renteria they should be awesome. But you never know, you just hope everyone stays healthy. Gary Sheffield and Kenny Rogers are question marks healthwise...

Yay, spring training is soon! Can't wait to see the Tigers in action, and how this lineup will stack up. There's a lot to be excited about, they were already a great team and now with the addition of Miguel Cabrera, Dontrell Willis, and Edgar Renteria they should be awesome. But you never know, you just hope everyone stays healthy. Gary Sheffield and Kenny Rogers are question marks healthwise...

Doesn't it scare the hell out of you to think that a great lineup like that is going to rely on Jason Grilli to put out fires ? It sure scares me ! :(

Ah, this is my kinda thread. I've been an A's fan since I was a little girl (I have this picture of me on Halloween when I was about three going as an A haha), and I'm really disappointed in some of the deals we've made this off season. I know we're rebuilding and blah blah blah, but getting rid of our best pitcher and best offensive star so closely together is enough to gut any fan. It's like when Mulder and Hudson were dealed within a few days of each other three years ago. I pretty much cried. (I'm a girl... I can cry in baseball if I want and there's nothing Tom Hanks can do about it.)

Anyway, I really loved Swisher. I saw the A's in spring training like three years ago and there were these Giants fans heckling the crap out of him. He totally shot them down with his barbs back. It was very entertaining. He made them look like asses. From that point on, I knew I loved him.

Whoa, a couple of chicks who are huge A's fans, what are the odds?! BonzoEqualsGoodStuff, you and Dig_Zoso are gonna get along very well!

Whoa...yeah, definitely!

Ah, this is my kinda thread. I've been an A's fan since I was a little girl (I have this picture of me on Halloween when I was about three going as an A haha), and I'm really disappointed in some of the deals we've made this off season. I know we're rebuilding and blah blah blah, but getting rid of our best pitcher and best offensive star so closely together is enough to gut any fan. It's like when Mulder and Hudson were dealed within a few days of each other three years ago. I pretty much cried. (I'm a girl... I can cry in baseball if I want and there's nothing Tom Hanks can do about it.)

Anyway, I really loved Swisher. I saw the A's in spring training like three years ago and there were these Giants fans heckling the crap out of him. He totally shot them down with his barbs back. It was very entertaining. He made them look like asses. From that point on, I knew I loved him.

:lol: I've cried over baseball before (cough-hudson/mulder/zito-cough) but this winter...I dunno. It's not that I loved the players any less, but it just definitely felt like something needed to be done. Over the last couple of years we were getting some short term fixes, but it seemed like we were often playing catch-up.

Swisher...well, it's sad to see him go for several reasons. He was Mr. Moneyball, he was supposed to be the symbol of Oakland's future..and now he's definitely not. We're sort of at a strange, uncomfortable beginning to a new era of A's baseball. I've gotten over the shock (or maybe I'm just numb), and at this point I'm even excited to make a fresh start and see what these new guys can become. In Billy I still Trust, I guess. Here's hoping for a low-injury season...

Haha a low-injury season. It's been a while...

Anyway, Billy usually does make some great trades, so I'm sure the new guys will do a fantastic job. I just get tired of fan favorite after fan favorite leaving. Most players don't stay with us for more than a few years, except for Eric Chavez and I think we should have unloaded him a few years ago. He has a severe motivation problem. Tejada was so much better. I still wish we'd chosen him over Chavez. His contract wouldn't have been that much more. I will never stop being bitter about this haha.

I just hope I get to see them this year! I go to college a day's drive away so I haven't been to a game in nearly three years. Sad days.

Haha a low-injury season. It's been a while...

Anyway, Billy usually does make some great trades, so I'm sure the new guys will do a fantastic job. I just get tired of fan favorite after fan favorite leaving. Most players don't stay with us for more than a few years, except for Eric Chavez and I think we should have unloaded him a few years ago. He has a severe motivation problem. Tejada was so much better. I still wish we'd chosen him over Chavez. His contract wouldn't have been that much more. I will never stop being bitter about this haha.

Yeah, I've been questioning Chavez for a while...When he's on, he's great, but he's just been hampered with injuries as of late. And you're right: motivation problem.

It is sad to see the fan favorites leave, but I guess we'll be finding some new fan favorites...kind of like how Mulder left and Haren just stepped right in.

I just hope I get to see them this year! I go to college a day's drive away so I haven't been to a game in nearly three years. Sad days.

That's terrible! At least, if nothing else, I've had the summers to go to games. I hope you do make it to the park this year!

Me, too! I'm almost out of college, though. I should be graduating this fall. Then my plan is to move somewhere in California so that I can either go to games in Oakland all the time or see the A's when they play the Angels in Anaheim. Of course in the latter I'd be cheering for the A's in southern California, so we'll see if I'd survive that...

:P

FYI, I've got tix to six games again this year. If I'm having as much trouble finding someone to go this year as I did last summer, I'll certainly let you know to take in a game with me at the CoPa!

^ Right on!

Looks like Johan Santana is going to the Mets...

Link

There is a God, and he hates the Red Sox. BTW, Billy Smith got hosed on this deal so bad, I hope Carl Pohlad runs him out of town on a rail. The Sox and Yankees had much better offers on the table, but the Twins waited too long, everyone backed out and it forced them to take a sub-standard deal. I'm in the middle of blogging about it right now. Seriously, you're giving up someone of Santana's caliber and getting crap in return? Any Twins fans here? I'd be interested to see how they feel about this.

It's pretty typical of what Twins and A's fans generally have to deal with. They're smaller market teams, that consistently win with a smaller payroll. So when they cultivate stars that ultimately command big dollars, they have to part with them. I'm sure they figure when his contract runs out, they won't be able to get anything at all for him, he'll just sign a big deal somewhere else. So they got something for him now. I don't see how they could have gotten much more for him, any big names are going to command big money, which is whey they're giving up Santana to begin with. And why would a team give up a ton of prospects or anything really significant for him, when he'll be on the open market next year and you wouldn't have to give up anything?

I'm going to wait and see on this deal because the key component for Minnesota is so far away from the majors. But clearly, this is a deal its setting them up for moving into the new stadium in 2009.

Guerra is an OUTSTANDING prospect and would make a hell of a 1-2/lefty-righty punch with Liriano down the line. But the kid's 19 and hasn't pitched above A ball yet, so only time will tell on his development. He is, to me, the best pitcher and key piece that was brought up in any of the permutations of the trades with Boston, the Yanks or the Mets.

Humber has the makings of a No. 3 or 4 starter IMO. Hasn't been the same since his TJ surgery. He's not as polished as Lester or Kennedy or as talented as Hughes.

Gomez is kind of the wild card here. Mets rushed him to the big leagues and he had a good year in AAA last season, and he'll fill the void in CF with Hunter leaving. He's not Ellsbury by any stretch, but if they can get a Hunter-type offensive clone out of Gomez, it's good with those other two. If not, then Bill Smith should have been laid down the gauntlet that he wanted Fernando Martinez, because that dude's going to be a stud.

Mulvey I don't know much about. He's their fourth-best prospect according to Baseball America, but they say he projects as a No. 4 starter. That part makes no sense, because so do Humber, Boof Bonser and a myriad of other pitchers already in the Twins system.

I will say this much. If Liriano doesn't come back and look like he did before he blew his elbow out (and if he gets hurt again), this is a BIG mistake of a deal. But the Twins must have known they would have lost Johan after the season for nothing but a draft pick. Either way, pitting the Yanks and BoSox did backfire on Smith. And he probably should have acted sooner if he wanted those guys from the Yankees and Red Sox so badly.

---

One more thought: If the Mets can't sign Santana, would that be a bigger collapse than their September blowup?

It's pretty typical of what Twins and A's fans generally have to deal with. They're smaller market teams, that consistently win with a smaller payroll. So when they cultivate stars that ultimately command big dollars, they have to part with them. I'm sure they figure when his contract runs out, they won't be able to get anything at all for him, he'll just sign a big deal somewhere else. So they got something for him now.

This is a very depressing fact of life. I've learned to never get attached to players. Although I had a really hard time parting with Hudson, especially since we got roughly a pile of AAA crap from that trade.

At least Mulder sucked after he left and we got Haren! ... who is now also gone. Okay, that one made me sad, too. I guess I do get too attached to players sometimes. :(

I'm just mad the A's are moving to Fremont. Have you guys seen this video? These guys are pretty much my heroes. I would totally ghostride my Camry if I had any guts.

Couple of updates, related to the Tigers (and the Red Sox)...

The Tigers and centerfielder Curtis Granderson have agreed to a five-year contract extension with a club option for 2013, the team announced this afternoon.

Granderson, 26, was not scheduled to enter free agency until after the 2011 season. Negotiations between the team and agent Matt Brown began last month, with a goal of extending Granderson’s contract beyond that date.

The total package is worth $30.25 million, according to ESPN, which first reported the deal on its web site.

“Curtis is one of the best young players in the game and a quality individual that represents the Tigers well both on and off the field,” Detroit president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement.

Granderson is coming off a 2007 season in which he nearly earned his first All-Star selection. He batted .302 and became the second major leaguer with at least 30 doubles, 20 triples, 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in the same season.

He earned $410,000 last year.

Free agent Sean Casey reached a preliminary agreement on an $800,000, one-year contract with the Boston Red Sox, giving them an experienced backup at first base to Kevin Youkilis.

Casey, whose contract is not guaranteed, hit .296 with four homers, 30 doubles and 54 RBIs in 143 games for the Tigers last season. In 11 seasons, eight with Cincinnati, the left-handed hitter batted .301 with 130 homers and 718 RBIs.

My last post in this thread was about Baltimore, and today there's some Baltimore news! They've traded Miguel Tejada to Houston for 5 players, who at a quick glance don't seem to be any big stars...

Back in 2003 I saw Baltimore play Tampa Bay in Tampa at the Tropicanna Fields I think ! ? being from England it was the first and only time I have seen a baseball game live, it was great fun @!!!!

Love the Granderson deal, seeing as how the Tigers' farm system is now bereft of CF talent. I'm not sold, though, that Granderson's ceiling is that much higher than what he produced in '07....but I'd take years like that through 2013 (so long as he learns how to hit a damn lefty!).

Also just bought a Tigers Sean Casey jersey two weeks ago on the clearance rack. Played ball against him in HS.

I lost interest in baseball after the Jays won their two world series and the strike happened. But in the past 3 years a buddy sometimes has free tickets to go to games and i have gone with him and i have sort of got into it again. Not hardcore but casual. The jays suck so it's not easy to get into it hardcore again.

Archived