Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Well, the Orioles (finally) dealt another "cornerstone" yesterday, in staff ace Erik Bedard. The cat had been pretty much out of the bag for almost two weeks, after Adam Jones, the central Mariners player in the deal, told a Venezuelan reporter on Jan. 27 that he was being recalled so that he could take a physical, ending his time in the Venezuelan Winter Leagues; he also expressed gratitude at being traded for a highly talented player like Bedard. After official denials, rumors that the trade would evaporate, and physicals from all the players, the deal was finally made official yesterday. Bedard, an early frontrunner in the 2007 AL Cy Young race before ultimately having to bow out to injury, goes from Baltimore to Seattle in return for Jones, a two-time Mariners Minor League Player of the Year who will likely start in center field for the Orioles this year, as well as left-handed relief pitcher George Sherrill, who could serve as the closer while Chris Ray is out in 2008, though Dennis Sarfate, who came over in the Miguel Tejada trade, has also been mentioned as a possibility. Other players received in the trade include Minor League pitching prospects Chris Tillman, who was the Mariners' 2007 Minor League Pitcher of the Year, fellow starter Tony Butler and reliever Kam Mickolio.

MacPhail took extra time to make sure this was another instance of getting several players for one, like the Tejada trade right before the Mitchell Report broke (luckily for Baltimore). Bavasi was initially offering three-for-one but eventually was stretched out to five-for-one. MacPhail noted the nature of the beast as far as prospects as his reasoning. Obviously, Bedard should contribute right away at the front of the rotation, boosting the Mariners' threat in the AL West. Jones has been lauded by scouts and critics, and compared to Torii Hunter; the big hope is that he will make a killer pairing with Markakis for many seasons to come. Sherrill will find a place in the 'pen undoubtedly, though the future for the other prospects is uncertain. Tillman will likely be brought through the system at a modest pace, and Butler and Mickolio will likely be right down there with him. There are definitely other starting prospects ahead of Tillman and Butler, should there be injuries/shakeups with the big club's rotation. Mickolio comes into an organization with massive flux at all pitching positions, truthfully, but especially with the bullpen, whose high-dollar renovation last year didn't work due to injury, overuse, and underachievement, depending on the player

The Orioles are now left, as usual, with questions, such as what to do concerning Brian Roberts, the final player on the roster considered big trade bait, and what ace-less rotation to form in the absence of Bedard. Daniel Cabrera, the AL's loss leader last season, looks to be in the rotation, along with mostly pleasant surprise Jeremy Guthrie and youngster Adam Loewen. Garrett Olson and Hayden Penn, who both have logged innings with the parent club, will both be trying for slots, as well as new acquisitions Troy Patton and Matt Albers. It's definitely going to be a long season for the organization, but the rebuild has been applauded by many, and hopefully it won't take until 2012 to bear fruit.

The Blue jays have a deal where you can buy a seasons pass. 1 dollar a game for one ticket. The seats are in the nose bleeds though. I have been considering it. Although i don't know how fun it will be going to games by myself.

Well, the Orioles (finally) dealt another "cornerstone" yesterday, in staff ace Erik Bedard. The cat had been pretty much out of the bag for almost two weeks, after Adam Jones, the central Mariners player in the deal, told a Venezuelan reporter on Jan. 27 that he was being recalled so that he could take a physical, ending his time in the Venezuelan Winter Leagues; he also expressed gratitude at being traded for a highly talented player like Bedard. After official denials, rumors that the trade would evaporate, and physicals from all the players, the deal was finally made official yesterday. Bedard, an early frontrunner in the 2007 AL Cy Young race before ultimately having to bow out to injury, goes from Baltimore to Seattle in return for Jones, a two-time Mariners Minor League Player of the Year who will likely start in center field for the Orioles this year, as well as left-handed relief pitcher George Sherrill, who could serve as the closer while Chris Ray is out in 2008, though Dennis Sarfate, who came over in the Miguel Tejada trade, has also been mentioned as a possibility. Other players received in the trade include Minor League pitching prospects Chris Tillman, who was the Mariners' 2007 Minor League Pitcher of the Year, fellow starter Tony Butler and reliever Kam Mickolio.

This year has shades of 1988 painted all over it for the O's. When is Angelos going to sell this team? Seriously, the guy has the money to burn for 10 years on shitty, over-the-hill, older-than-Yogi Berra free agents. Then it comes time to pony up for a homegrown product who is among the top 5-10 pitchers in the game, and they let him walk? And with TWO years left on his current deal? Baseball America likes this deal, but to me, it's pathetic that they didn't put on the press to lock up Bedard for a longer deal than Santana. He should have been the new Cal Ripken in that town.

Not sold on Adam Jones, especially with how many ABs he got last year to fill in the corner OF holes for Seattle down the stretch in a division with much weaker pitching than the AL East. And the numbers he put up in the PCL are moot IMO because that's a big-time hitters league. He never cleared .300 in any other ML stop. he never hit more than 16 HRs in any other stop. His double totals don't project out to being a 20-30 HR guy. George Sherrill was a freakin' Independent League guy a few years ago, and now he's going to be counted on to close games?

As for the prospects, well, Tillman was STILL only the third-best prospect in the M's system and grades out to a No. 4 starter longterm. Neither Butler or Mickolio are ranked by Baseball America, either, and don't figure as more than potential bullpen guys unless something drastic changes.

The Orioles are really resigned to being the Yankees' and Red Sox's bitches, aren't they? Watch out, because Tampa is about to jump into the third-best team in the AL East, then Toronto, then Baltimore. The O's are fast becoming the Pirates of the AL.

Anybody ever take one of those Jay Buckley Baseball tours? A couple of my friends and I are are taking one after we graduate high school in the summer, it should be cool. 10 ballparks in 11 days, plus Cooperstown and tours of NYC and Pittsburgh, and a tour of Fenway.

Anybody ever take one of those Jay Buckley Baseball tours? A couple of my friends and I are are taking one after we graduate high school in the summer, it should be cool. 10 ballparks in 11 days, plus Cooperstown and tours of NYC and Pittsburgh, and a tour of Fenway.

Don't know anyone who's paid for a tour, but I have plenty of friends who've gone on long baseball trips they've planned themselves. Great summer escape, and the northeast region is perfect for that (Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, NYY, NYM, Boston). I wish I had the time to do that, Oct (though I've been to a few of those places already). Enjoy it and let us know which you like best.

Don't know anyone who's paid for a tour, but I have plenty of friends who've gone on long baseball trips they've planned themselves. Great summer escape, and the northeast region is perfect for that (Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, NYY, NYM, Boston). I wish I had the time to do that, Oct (though I've been to a few of those places already). Enjoy it and let us know which you like best.

I'll definately review the parks afterwards. The places you listed are pretty much the trip, minus Washington and Detroit, plus the two Chicago parks (which I would have been to anyway.) We were going to plan it ourseleves, but realized it would probably be easier just to pay and have someone else worry about all the details. All we have to do is show up at the right places at the right times. Now comes the task of getting a job to pay for the remaining $1545.

A couple of my friends and I were going to do a short baseball stadium tour after our high school graduation a few years ago, but everyone copped out until there was just me and one other friend. We didn't think two girls going to places like St. Louis and Chicago by ourselves would be the best plan, so we had to nix it. Sad days.

I've only ever been to the A's, Mariners', and Giants' stadiums. Obviously McAffee Coliseum is the best. I mean, really. They have the A's. What else do you need?! Other than a good team... :P

Sad to say I've never been to any stadiums besides old Tiger Stadium here in Detroit, and the newer Comerica Park. I'm a huge baseball fan, but have never had a chance to see a game in another city. My sister-in-law lives on the north side of Chicago, and we've tried to see a couple of games at Wrigley when we've visited, but haven't managed to get tix (have to go to a scalper, games are ALWAYS sold out).

I really want to hit Yankee Stadium this summer since it's the last season there, and I've always wanted to see Fenway.

Stadiums I've been to....

For games:

Three Rivers, Pittsburgh

PNC Park, Pittsburgh,

Tiger Stadium, Detroit

Comerica Park, Detroit

Wrigley Field, Chicago

US Cellular/New Comiskey Park, Chicago

Veterans Stadium, Philly

Metrodome, Minnesota

Tropicana Field, Tampa Bay

The Ballpark at Arlington, Texas

Been to, not for games or didn't go inside:

Jacobs Field, Cleveland (was outside for All-Star weekend in '97)

Dodger Stadium, LA (visited gift shop in December)

Yankee Stadium, NY (walked around in November)

Camden Yards, Baltimore (walked around on an off weekend in August)

Also have driven past Kansas City (Kauffman Stadium) and Milwaukee (Miller Park)

The goal for this year is to get to at least Yankee Stadium, possibly Shea and Fenway. And if I make it there, then I'll swing down to the new parks in Philly and D.C.

Prosecutors say Bonds failed steroid test in ’01

Alleged result came one month after end of record 73-home run season

Feb 14, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO - Baseball home run king Barry Bonds tested positive for steroids in November 2001, just a month after hitting his record 73rd home run of the season, U.S. prosecutors said on Thursday.

The allegation came in a legal filing in his steroid perjury case which referred to Bonds’ long-time trainer, Greg Anderson.

“At trial, the government’s evidence will show that Bonds received steroids from Anderson in the period before the November 2001 positive drug test, and that evidence raises the inference that Anderson gave Bonds the steroids that caused him to test positive in November 2001,” U.S. Attorney Joseph Russoniello wrote.

*source*

p1_bonds.jpg

<_<

------------

On a related note..

Steroids_Clemens_Baseball_DCPM113.jpg

Former New York Yankees baseball pitcher Roger Clemens, right, attorney Charles Scheeler, center, and Clemens former trainer Brian McNamee, left, are sworn-in on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008, prior to testifying before the House Oversight, and Government Reform committee hearing on drug use in baseball. [AP]

Prosecutors say Bonds failed steroid test in ’01

Alleged result came one month after end of record 73-home run season

Feb 14, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO - Baseball home run king Barry Bonds tested positive for steroids in November 2001, just a month after hitting his record 73rd home run of the season, U.S. prosecutors said on Thursday.

The allegation came in a legal filing in his steroid perjury case which referred to Bonds’ long-time trainer, Greg Anderson.

“At trial, the government’s evidence will show that Bonds received steroids from Anderson in the period before the November 2001 positive drug test, and that evidence raises the inference that Anderson gave Bonds the steroids that caused him to test positive in November 2001,” U.S. Attorney Joseph Russoniello wrote.

It's now being stated that the initial date reported in this story was mistyped, Bonds actually failed the drug test in 2000. That's BEFORE he broke the home run record.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ORTS02/80214080

It's about time people come out and rip Congress on this insulting hearing. When does an owner, General Manager, or Manager going to testify about looking the other way while all of this legal activity was going on ? And let's hear it for fly-by-night Internet degrees !

Henry-Waxman-Pig.jpg

review_tz_8.jpg

It's now being stated that the initial date reported in this story was mistyped, Bonds actually failed the drug test in 2000. That's BEFORE he broke the home run record.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ORTS02/80214080

ah.. thanks for the correction, Matt.

But uhh.. if he tested positive the season just before

the season in which he hit 72,.. that's just as damning.

The Bonds HR records (single-season and career-total) are tarnished.

Hammerin Hank is the HR King. :beer:

HankAaron715-783928.jpg

Because Bud Selig is the worst commish in the history of MLB. He knew about the steroid epidemic long before he even thought about doing something and admitted to Congress he took his time dealing with it. Selig knew way more than the American public did at that time and for $$$$$$$$$$$ kept his mouth shut. He wanted to re-invigorate the game after the strike, but at what expense?

Selig is part and parcel to blame for what has happened in this sport the last decade.

No doubt, Hank is still the king in my mind. And yes, it's all the more damning, especially for Selig and MLB. Why was he allowed to continue playing, and allowed to break that record if he'd failed a drug test??

Selig, the owners, and the MLBPA are as culpable as the juiced players.

We can finally talk about the game again....thank God for spring training!

Big blow for the Brewers and Astros with injuries to two of the best rookies last year, Milwaukee P Yovani Gallardo and Houston OF Hunter Pence. Here's hoping they get healthy quickly, because they're two of the more exciting young players out there.

Well, we're into the Spring Training games!! Yesterday the Tigers had their first exhibition game, and Miguel Cabrera hit a bomb of a home run...of course, it was against Florida Southern, so it doesn't really count. But today they play the Mets, I believe.

And Saturday, March 1st, individual game tickets go on sale for the Tigers. I'll be out of town this weekend, but am going to make a trip over to the stadium box office on Monday and buy up some tickets. It's gonna be a hot ticket this summer, and getting in to weekend games will be pretty tough!

I'm going to try to score Opening Day tickets at The Yard this year,even if I have to get them in the "no scalp zone".One of the "benefits" of having a team like the Orioles this year is the fact that O.D. tickets might be easier to get.........and Opening Day is an experience to behold.

The only other park I've been to (besides Memorial Stadium) is Fenway,and it's surely worth it.

Yeah, it may be easier this year, since no one knows who the hell half these guys are. Of course, it could also have the opposite effect. We'll see how these spring games start, against the Marlins later on.

Archived