Meet the New Pope

Ace Of Spades

I do wonder sometimes at the kind of people who get excited about stuff like this. At the moment, I'm listening to a BBC reporter in Rome, who's all gushy and sounds like she's on the verge of wetting herself. I expect she'd have to be a sodding left-footer herself for a non-event like this to elicit such a reaction - much like the fervour exhibited by the BBC's nauseatingly obsequious Royal reporters, who must surely be mentally defective to give a hoot about the Royals in this day & age.

Anyway, it looks like blanket coverage this evening, in a land where we did the right thing nearly 500 years ago. Poor Henry VIII must be spinning in his grave. WTF.

Here here.

I do wonder sometimes at the kind of people who get excited about stuff like this. At the moment, I'm listening to a BBC reporter in Rome, who's all gushy and sounds like she's on the verge of wetting herself. I expect she'd have to be a sodding left-footer herself for a non-event like this to elicit such a reaction - much like the fervour exhibited by the BBC's nauseatingly obsequious Royal reporters, who must surely be mentally defective to give a hoot about the Royals in this day & age.

Anyway, it looks like blanket coverage this evening, in a land where we did the right thing nearly 500 years ago. Poor Henry VIII must be spinning in his grave. WTF.

Listening to the BBC in Pasadena?? ;)

they had to go that far so as to find someone unbeholden or dirty- allegedly. The man is 76 and in suspect health. Maybe they are expecting to get someone who won't fight the system, is not wide to the inner workings and just roll it out and be the public profile for the machine. Cue to the Pope-mobile and the visits... throw all the blame on the guy that is the first Pope to resign in 600 years. Get the new guy on the tour bus and gin up the PR machine.

Congratulations to the 1.2billion Catholics. Maybe this guy can get the job done.

I am a Catholic and I graduated from a Jesuit school. McQuaid Jesuit. Very surprising he is the first Jesuit priest and more surprising the first from South America where there are over 500 million Catholics. I am very happy he chose St Francis of Assisi. If indeed that is who he named himself for?

My wife last week wanted to include our cats in a prayer as they were having surgery. I then said, then we must pray to St Francis of Assisi

The guy has a master's degree in chemistry and has publicly supported the poor and AIDS sufferers. If we set aside the anti-gay, anti-contraception, and the time he allegedly kidnapped two priests for speaking out against a brutal dictator (they were found naked and drugged in a field five months later) then he sounds like a swell guy!

I like how they are all desperately saying that 'this is a fresh start, Frankie will make it all better', etc etc, blah blah blah.

The fact of the matter is that the Catholic Church is in ruins, even compared to other christian churches. In an increasingly secular/sane society, the best a church can realistically hope for is to remain vaguely relevant, avoid opprobrium, and to retain the support of those who were ever hoodwinked in the first place. But this shameful edifice appears to be failing dismally on all three counts, and I fail to see how a septuagenarian homophobic chemist is gonna fix that.

Unless he has the recipe for Owsley's finest?

The only good pope is a dead pope. Instead of black smoke and white smoke, the Vatican could use a little green smoke.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to take all this seriously. Anybody that has been paying attention knows the Catholic Church's integrity and relevancy is in tatters.

Archived