Meet the New Pope

Ace Of Spades

Yeah? Well at least I don't molest and rape millions of kids and then lie and cover-up and protect the predators and hypocritically say I want to help the poor then refuse to do anything to help curb their breeding habits, which helps keep them in poverty.

Religion is the opiate of the masses.

There are over 406,000 Catholic priests. Extrapolated data from watch groups suggests approximately 10% to be paedophiles (40,600), while the Catholic Church has suggested there are approximately 5,000. If we take the higher figure at face value each of the 40,600 would have had to molest/rape more than 24 children to attain a million instances of alleged abuse, let alone "millions". Regardless, there is no question it is time for greater accountability and reforms.

The issue of contraception is also challenging and complicated, but one must also note that premarital sex is discouraged, indeed sinful.

There are over 406,000 Catholic priests. Extrapolated data from watch groups suggests approximately 10% to be paedophiles (40,600), while the Catholic Church has suggested there are approximately 5,000. If we take the higher figure at face value each of the 40,600 would have had to molest/rape more than 24 children to attain a million instances of alleged abuse, let alone "millions". Regardless, there is no question it is time for greater accountability and reforms.

The issue of contraception is also challenging and complicated, but one must also note that premarital sex is discouraged, indeed sinful.

But for Strider to say "a good pope is a dead pope" I take issue with. And I am not going to let it slide without calling him on it.

Blind Faith. Was a great group.

Yes they were! However, as an educator, you should have noticed that I didn't use the term as a proper noun - hence the lower case "f".

Thank you for your opinion on the Jesuits and Franciscans, btw.

But for Strider to say "a good pope is a dead pope" I take issue with. And I am not going to let it slide without calling him on it.

It was an ignorant, highly inciteful post for which his posting privlidges could have been placed in jeapordy.

On the assumption that your paedophilia stats are correct, even if you take the CC's lower figure of 5,000, that still represents 25x the general rate. Which speaks volumes of the institution.

If I were a member of the CC, I would jump ship out of pure shame. By not doing so, Catholics are, IMO, condoning this outrage, and are therefore complicit. The whole thing smacks of Nazi Germany, IMO.

There it is, an inevitable comparison to Nazi Germany. :zzz: You'll have to muster some intellectual horsepower to keep me interested.

The overwhelming majority of Catholics support the prosecution of those priests found to be guilty. Jesus Christ himself said it best:

Matthew 18:6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Its inevitability doesn't make it any less valid.

I fail to see where the inevitable comparison has been shown to be valid. Indicting everyone for the crimes of a few is unjust and irrational. Using your logic, all Muslims are complicit in the terrorist attacks on 9/11 and all Japanese are complicit in the Nanking Massacre. Absurd!

In the cold light of day, it is an unavoidable truth that the CC has become synonymous with paedophilia, homophobia and misogyny. I'd lay good money on those being the top three answers on Family Fortunes for 'Things You Associate With The Catholic Church'. If you wish to defend an organisation with such a soiled reputation & image, that is your prerogative.

I read somewhere that one in three baptised Catholics in the US has left the church. So maybe there's hope after all.

Your demonizing the Catholic church and your constant attention to Nazi Germany are getting stale. You bash the modern day church as if they have done no good at all to mankind. That is simply ridiculous. If you don't like it that is fine. It is as much my right to defend Catholocism as your right to bash it. But think you are misguided. To say that the entire faith and church are synonynous as you put it with those characteristics is you showing your true colors. In the end you only have your faith, or in some people's choices the lack of it. You cannot take your money to the grave. Not all Catholics are bad Nick. I will break the news to you.

Yes they were! However, as an educator, you should have noticed that I didn't use the term as a proper noun - hence the lower case "f".

Just be glad that I didn't use my red ink. I changed that 'f', if you didn't notice but not to an 'A'. I'll make one more point. blind faith is redundant.

Just be glad that I didn't use my red ink. I changed that 'f', if you didn't notice but not to an 'A'. I'll make one more point. blind faith is redundant.

What does that blind faith comment mean BD? I know you are a great skeptic on many matters, as you have proven in the Skywatch thread. I have a bit more of an open mind than you IMO. No insult. Just stating a fact. You are one of those that must see before you will believe, correct? My assumption must be that you are either an agnostic or atheist? You do not have to answer that of course. There can be evidence of things without absolute proof. Is there absolute prooof in Darwins theory of evolution or in the Big Bang theory? Or some theories of the dinosaurs cause for extinction? Personally i am glad that there is much faith in the world. It is not blind faith in my opinion. Not at all

Ledzepfan

I think he was just making a point about his opposition to organized religion. Like "the only good commie is a dead commie". He probably didn't even know you were a catholic.

If I made a few pope jokes I meant no harm myself. I really don't have a dog in the religion fight. I think people should celebrate the new pope if it makes them feel good, because catholics aren't a big problem in my opinion. I just don't see the a new guy in charge will change anything, just like a new president doesn't change anything.

"meet the new boss, same as the old boss." like the song goes.

Ledzepfan

I think he was just making a point about his opposition to organized religion. Like "the only good commie is a dead commie". He probably didn't even know you were a catholic.

If I made a few pope jokes I meant no harm myself. I really don't have a dog in the religion fight. I think people should celebrate the new pope if it makes them feel good, because catholics aren't a big problem in my opinion. I just don't see the a new guy in charge will change anything, just like a new president doesn't change anything.

"meet the new boss, same as the old boss." like the song goes.

He knows I am Catholic and he knows me inside out. So he thinks

cloudsgold.jpg

I happen to love animals. So anyone that loves animals is ok with me. St Fracis of Assisi, who out of the blue I said a prayer to last week. My cats came out of the surgery fine. And the new pope has his name.

BTW keep an open mind about that Dinosaur catosphere. I am sure, if they had St. Francis around, they would still be around.

Ok, let's combine the two topics for a moment.

Let's say tomorrow lunchtime, a spacecraft appears over DC and vaporises the White House. Or Buckingham Palace, if you prefer. The alien commander then announces to the world that they have returned from the planet Tharg to inspect their creation (i.e. us), are very disappointed in what they find, and will destroy us and our planet in exactly 5 hours' time.

Would your reaction be:

1. God created the Thargians too?

2. The alien commander is God?

3. Let's wait and see what the Pope has to say about all this?

4. I think I'll go read my Bible & pray for 5 hours?

5. Gee, Nick was right after all?

6. Other (please specify)?

:thumbsup::hurrah:

Blind faith isn't redundant at all....as I said earlier Blind Faith, as you put it, was a great band. Your point, or attempt at humor, went down like a lead balloon...;)

Enjoy your new religious leader/moral compass Catholics! :)

:peace:

This just gets better...this just in:

"PAEDOPHILES ARE NOT CRIMINALS"

So says South African Cardinal Wilfrid Napier, who was involved in the recent Pope-fest. Apparently, 'paedophilia is an illness, not a criminal condition'. Full transcript of BBC interview to follow when available, but...WTF.

I think I see where they're going with this...and Opus Dei is doubtless already working its clandestine magic on the world's legal systems to decriminalise paedophilia.

i think it's probably both criminal and an illness, but they should definately be gaoled. there have been a lot of cases here in oz involving catholic priests. disgusting.

saw this on facebook ...

The Pope, wearing a fabulous vintage chiffon-lined Dior gold lame gown over a silk Vera Wang empire waist tulle cocktail dress, accessorized with a three-foot House of Whoville hat and the ruby slippers Judy Garland wore in the Wizard of Oz, on his way to tell us it's wrong to be Gay.

i don't mean to ridicule, i really don't. but isn't this kind of weird? all these grown men parading around in mardi-grasesque ( is that a word ? ) stuff .... not allowed partners .... and all this while telling followers how to behave in marriage and general life .... eg gay marriage, abortion .... i dunno, it just doesn't ring true to me..

again, sorry if this offends, i don't mean it to, just making a point. :)

734080_553052158058575_1486808738_n.jpg

all these grown men parading around in mardi-grasesque ( is that a word ? ) stuff .... not allowed partners .... and all this while telling followers how to behave in marriage and general life .... eg gay marriage, abortion .... i dunno, it just doesn't ring true to me..

That's somehow how human nature seems to work.

I personally see the historical Yeshua (ישוע) as a person who wanted to spread a positive message, which mutated over the centuries into one big circus ruled by power hunger and fear, which is a far cry from what it was all about. What would happen if the historical Yeshua would step into the Vatican right now, and what would they tell them? The song remains the same, only the Pharisees have a different name now.

I pity the stupidity of mankind, really.

(In 2000 years we could be stupid enough to bash eachothers head in over the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi if we continue to feed on ego only)

Peace.

Blind faith isn't redundant at all....as I said earlier Blind Faith, as you put it, was a great band. Your point, or attempt at humor, went down like a lead balloon...;)

Enjoy your new religious leader/moral compass Catholics! :)

:peace:

Maybe if I over used some dumbass emoticons, you would get the humor.

saw this on facebook ...

The Pope, wearing a fabulous vintage chiffon-lined Dior gold lame gown over a silk Vera Wang empire waist tulle cocktail dress, accessorized with a three-foot House of Whoville hat and the ruby slippers Judy Garland wore in the Wizard of Oz, on his way to tell us it's wrong to be Gay.

i don't mean to ridicule, i really don't. but isn't this kind of weird? all these grown men parading around in mardi-grasesque ( is that a word ? ) stuff .... not allowed partners .... and all this while telling followers how to behave in marriage and general life .... eg gay marriage, abortion .... i dunno, it just doesn't ring true to me..

734080_553052158058575_1486808738_n.jpg

you make a good point here Slave. These clothes, along with all the pomp and pageantry in the "House of Gold and Shiny Things", makes me wonder? Is this, and all that goes with the Vatican, what Jesus really would have wanted built for him?

What message does this photo send out?.....Jesus, is historically depicted wearing a simple robe of the day, or, a loin cloth, in death on the cross. This fella looks like he was the lead in a stage-show on Broadway.

To me, there is nothing Christ-like at all in this photo and only reaffirms what can happen when men and power mix, (or when you've hired a bad stylist.. This guy must have loved The Wizard of Oz with those red shoes lol.....)

...and further, It's interesting too that Catholic nuns are almost always in black and white plain garments. And I don't recall ever hearing about child molestation cases with nuns involved. Maybe they are the true Catholics living Christ-like lives?

Archived