Meet the New Pope

Ace Of Spades

Do the protestants have someone equal to a pope? My roomate is Serbian orthodox and he said that they are the true christians. That the roman pope was made up centuries ago in a political power struggle.

My girlfriend used to be a baptist type until I corrupted her with rock and roll and going to movies. I try to treat everyone equal and respect or disrespect their beliefs on an equal basis. I've got no problem with catholics because I always saw them helping poor people. But I think those salvation army people do that too and they aren't catholic. The biggest problem I see with the catholics is that they need to give up on the celebacy rule and accept that there are horny straight and gay people in thier church just like everywhere else. The constant denial of human sexuality is toxic.

Just my opinion.

^^^

In the residential schools, many of the nuns were very abusive to the First Nation children .

Then there was the evil sadistic tyranical nuns and priests of the Magdalene Launderies in Ireland that were only closed down as recently as the 1990s.

^^Steve, great research and explanation.^^. I will give you that....

However, all that gold and glitter does nothing for me in adding to my relationship with Jesus. It just makes me think more about what Mahatma Gandhi may have meant when he said, "I like your Christ. But I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

....I just don't see Jesus in red shoes.

you make a good point here Slave. These clothes, along with all the pomp and pageantry in the "House of Gold and Shiny Things", makes me wonder? Is this, and all that goes with the Vatican, what Jesus really would have wanted built for him?

What message does this photo send out?.....Jesus, is historically depicted wearing a simple robe of the day, or, a loin cloth, in death on the cross. This fella looks like he was the lead in a stage-show on Broadway.

To me, there is nothing Christ-like at all in this photo and only reaffirms what can happen when men and power mix, (or when you've hired a bad stylist.. This guy must have loved The Wizard of Oz with those red shoes lol.....)

...and further, It's interesting too that Catholic nuns are almost always in black and white plain garments. And I don't recall ever hearing about child molestation cases with nuns involved. Maybe they are the true Catholics living Christ-like lives?

the catholic church is one of the richest and most powerful groups in the world.

just walk into any of their churches and see all the ornate interiors gold, lead-light windows etc etc

the vatican .... whoa it is so opulant ..... what about the poor?

even have their own observatory and scientists now - why? i believe they know the time is coming soon, where the jig is up, and they will be forced to change their opinions.

^^Steve, great research and explanation.^^. I will give you that....

However, all that gold and glitter does nothing for me in adding to my relationship with Jesus. It just makes me think more about what Mahatma Gandhi may have meant when he said, "I like your Christ. But I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

....I just don't see Jesus in red shoes.

absolutely. if they were for real, then all those kazillions that they rake in every sunday from passing around the plate, would be spent on helping the poor, not storing away in the vatican and dressing those at the top etc

so many people go to church, have their confessions listened to, throw money on the plate, and walk out feeling that all is right - no matter what kind of life they lead on the other 6 days of the week.

absolutely. if they were for real, then all those kazillions that they rake in every sunday from passing around the plate, would be spent on helping the poor, not storing away in the vatican and dressing those at the top etc

so many people go to church, have their confessions listened to, throw money on the plate, and walk out feeling that all is right - no matter what kind of life they lead on the other 6 days of the week.

It may be true iin many cases but not all. I am a Catholic but I gave money to all needy causes like Katrina, Sandy, ASPCA, Noah's ARC just to name a few. So you cannot paint us all with the same brush

It may be true iin many cases but not all. I am a Catholic but I gave money to all needy causes like Katrina, Sandy, ASPCA, Noah's ARC just to name a few. So you cannot paint us all with the same brush

i agree with you. i should have said that, sorry. of course there are many, many people who are honest and good. :)

Freedom of Religion people.

I can't imagine 6 pages and counting slamming Jews, Hindu's, Muslims, New Agers, Ufologists etc... being accptable here...

The Catholic Church though? .... Have at it! Knock yourself out!.

Look up the punishment for commiting a Homosexual act in the Muslim Community,,,then come back and talk abut the Catholic Church's intolerance.

I am Catholic, I play the Drums every Sunday at an 11:00 am Folk Mass, (been doing this since 2004)..

Some of it I don't get or like much either..

Women should be allowed to be Priests / Priest's should be allowed to be married.

Paedophile Priest's should be thrown in jail... whether they were forgven for the sin or not... they are still accountable for the crime...

I don't get the pomp and frilly robes either...

It pisses me off when certain goody goody Catholics take attendance and ask me why my Wife or Kids aren't with me..

But the good things outweigh the bad..

I have seen some beautiful people do many kind things.

I was very sick 8 years ago.. a very serlous bout with Ulcerative Colitis..The power of prayer works wonders..

Like Rick said ... don''t paint all Catholics with one brush.

That's all I'm going to say.. I don't talk Led Zeppelin at Church either (much)

Peace

Well, first, let's be clear on what he said.

When the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Gandhi he asked him, "Mr. Gandhi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?"

Gandhi replied, "Oh, I don't reject Christ. I love Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."

“If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today,” he added.

I take this to mean he was disappointed to find so many Christians not living in accordance with Christ's teachings.

yeah, I was way off.....

Pope Francis paid tribute Friday to predecessor Benedict XVI, who's no doubt somewhere right now wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shades (or his trusty baseball cap) and drinking a mai tai out of a coconut. Then, after probably saying something about having some big shoes to fill, Pope Francis totally tripped. (Those gowns are a lot to get used to, not to mention the silken slippers.) Luckily, the pontiff caught himself before his face hit the floor and continued his address to the cardinals. Much like Jennifer Lawrence falling up the stairs at the Oscars, this little gaffe has only made him all the more charming.

http://now.msn.com/pope-francis-trips-while-addressing-cardinals

What are the "good things" that outweigh the bad? Prayer...?

Realistically, people are painting all religions with one brush - but are unable to see the fault in their own religion.

Well let's see.. seeing you asked... a couple of examples from my own personal experience.

One family took in my kids when I was in the hospial an hour and a half away so my wife could stay closer to where i was., Also, so they wouldn;t miss any school.

My Pastor drove for over 2 hours in a blizzard to get me to give me Communion and the annointment of the sick.

The communal outpouring of concern and compassion I experienced was pretty life changing..

Even today.(I'm fine now) there;s still love and "how;s it going" "how are you feelng?"

I don't see other faiths being painted with any kind of brush here.. just one getting ridiculed pretty severely,

STZ,

Thanks for posting this. This was the reason I gave up on being a Catholic many, many years ago.

Rick :wave:

This is true. I am a 'lapsed Catholic' and have had kindness from RC Church goers over the years. However, there are sadly so many who think that turning up at Mass once a week is enough, and they behave badly towards others the rest of the week.

So you cannot paint us all with the same brush

Chase,

I was pleased to read about the vital support that you and your family received at what must have been a difficult time. Hope you are completely recovered.

:)

Well let's see.. seeing you asked... a couple of examples from my own personal experience.

One family took in my kids when I was in the hospial an hour and a half away so my wife could stay closer to where i was., Also, so they wouldn;t miss any school.

My Pastor drove for over 2 hours in a blizzard to get me to give me Communion and the annointment of the sick.

The communal outpouring of concern and compassion I experienced was pretty life changing..

Even today.(I'm fine now) there;s still love and "how;s it going" "how are you feelng?"

I don't see other faiths being painted with any kind of brush here.. just one getting ridiculed pretty severely,

..Very well put. I am a Catholic and I could certainly go after the Muslims with little trouble of finding ammunition.

Really? Are you sure about that? How could you possibly know that?

Agreed...the word "know" should always be used very carefully by people......

additionally,

I think there are a lot of people, me included, that could benefit from remembering this in some instances....

"I know I believe, but, I don't believe that I know".......

Major, with all due respect.

2100 years from now, I don't think many people will be talking about your time on this Earth, and all the good things you've done.

In this case I will use the word know without reluctance, hesitatance, or regret over and over. I know enough about you and Jesus to say that. I have much knowledge on Jesus as a Christian and there have been enough books and words written about him that one could line the pages up if they could float across the Atlantic and you could walk from England to the shores of New York if not around the world. I know very much of the life of Jesus. I only know of you what you have revealed on here and more in private. But it is enough for me to say I would pick Jesus in a second. On morality, wisdom and his influence on mankind.

Freedom of Religion people.

I can't imagine 6 pages and counting slamming Jews, Hindu's, Muslims, New Agers, Ufologists etc... being accptable here...

The Catholic Church though? .... Have at it! Knock yourself out!.

Look up the punishment for commiting a Homosexual act in the Muslim Community,,,then come back and talk abut the Catholic Church's intolerance.

I am Catholic, I play the Drums every Sunday at an 11:00 am Folk Mass, (been doing this since 2004)..

Some of it I don't get or like much either..

Women should be allowed to be Priests / Priest's should be allowed to be married.

Paedophile Priest's should be thrown in jail... whether they were forgven for the sin or not... they are still accountable for the crime...

I don't get the pomp and frilly robes either...

It pisses me off when certain goody goody Catholics take attendance and ask me why my Wife or Kids aren't with me..

But the good things outweigh the bad..

I have seen some beautiful people do many kind things.

I was very sick 8 years ago.. a very serlous bout with Ulcerative Colitis..The power of prayer works wonders..

Like Rick said ... don''t paint all Catholics with one brush.

That's all I'm going to say.. I don't talk Led Zeppelin at Church either (much)

Peace

chase, i understand what you are saying. i agree there are many catholics that do a lot of good things, amazing things, and i am glad for you that you were the subject of such kindness. it says a lot about you, i think :)

By your own logic if YOU were for real you would liquidate YOUR estate and GIVE EVERYTHING to the poor. You've got some nerve suggesting the church is not charitible when in fact Catholic Charities USA, for just one example, spends nearly 4 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR to reduce poverty in America. With regard to churchgoers, who are you to judge anyone?

Judge not, lest ye not be judged.” (Matthew 7:1)

if i were for real? what do you mean by that? i have never said that my mission in life is to serve a god and help the poor!

i know the church does a lot of good, but it could do waaaay more if it were sincere about it.

i am happy to be judged if i die today, thank you.

STZ,

Thanks for posting this. This was the reason I gave up on being a Catholic many, many years ago.

kenog, it is sad but true. and you notice it even more in small communities like i used to live in, where you know damn well that mr so and so is cheating on his wife,or beating his kids or someone else is cheating on their tax or child support, or even worse things ..... but they trot up to church and get it all excused by saying a few hail marys ..... i've seen it happen time and time again.

and again, yes, there are many who are sincere. many.

Archived