CDs--have you had problems with them?

ScarletMacaw

I'm wondering if other people have had as many problems with CDs as I have. Sometimes, I have bought a brand new CD and it doesn't play. It can't be dirty. I have CDs that sometimes skip and sometimes play ok. The odd thing is I have old CDs that I've had for 15 years that play fine, indicating that the problem cannot be the CD player on my stereo...I don't understand it. I have bought gadgets to clean my CDS and gadgets to clean the CD player--they help but only for a short time. I have thrown away numerous CDs and now mostly just buy MP3 albums or songs, but sometimes I like to play CDs rather than having to hook my laptop computer up to the stereo. By the way is it possible to transfer the songs on your CDs to your Amazon Cloud? If anyone has answers/feedback I would appreciate it.

I have more problems with DVDs. They come straight out of the case - brand new - and they have odd glitches in them...or worse, they freeze at certain points and won't go forward. I have a couple players at home - three, if you count the computer - and I can tell the problem is definitely with the DVD. Not all of them, not most of them...but too damn many, that's for sure. I think there was even a small problem on Celebration Day - I kind of remember that being discussed somewhere. I have no idea why this is happening, but like you Scarlett, I've noticed that the old discs don't have these problems.

"By the way is it possible to transfer the songs on your CDs to your Amazon Cloud? If anyone has answers/feedback I would appreciate it."
Not sure about Amazon, but with google play music(free account) you can upload up to 20,000 songs to stream from any computer or android device. The latest version of their music manager will even try to "match" your songs(even itune drm purchases yay) with google's copy instead of uploading local files to cut down on the amount of upload time involved in setting up your cloud. Unfortunately for me I had already uploaded 120 GB of mp3 before this little feature came out, heh. You also have the option to download your music back from the cloud as well so it's a nice back up system for your digital music if your hard drive(s) and back up medias get toasted. I consider it a must have if you use an android phone or tablet.

Thanks for all the feedback.

These days, the first thing I usually do is rip new CD's to iTunes and then file the actual CD away for safekeeping as a backup. I also tend to buy a good deal of vinyl, especially if it comes with a download code card. I'm not exactly a proponent of MP3's but like cassettes before them, I'm willing to make concessions to sound quality for the convenience of portability.

How do you rip CDs to iTunes (or to the Amazon Cloud?) I'm sorry, I am technologically incompetent.

Thanks for all the feedback.

How do you rip CDs to iTunes (or to the Amazon Cloud?) I'm sorry, I am technologically incompetent.

If you buy the CD from Amazon, it will automatically be in your Cloud thingy. I accidentally signed in to the Amazon Cloud player and everything I've ever purchased was there. It was kinda scary...

Haven't tried uploading anything not purchased at Amazon to the Cloud yet.

If you buy the CD from Amazon, it will automatically be in your Cloud thingy. I accidentally signed in to the Amazon Cloud player and everything I've ever purchased was there. It was kinda scary

Yes, I discovered this too...it was pretty cool--I had Led Zep II in my Cloud player even though I bought that CD years ago (and the CD is pretty much shot)

I don't know anything about the Amazon Cloud or "clouds" in general other than what I've been told by others. I resisted mp3's up until 2008 when someone gave me an iPod Shuffle. As for how to rip CD's to iTunes, when you insert a CD into the CD/DVD player on your hard drive you should receive a prompt asking if you want to import the CD, click "Yes". For whatever it's worth, I'm on a Mac. It may be different on a PC. A good deal of this is still a learning curve for me. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on the basics, which honestly weren't all that difficult to adapt to. Beyond that, I have very little knowledge of all the other things I could probably be using iTunes, my iPod and my iPhone for but I'm learning, slowly but surely.

For some reason I haven't tried that...will do and report back.

So, I was able to transfer Led Zep IV, the Doors Strange Days and the Clash's Sandinista to iTunes on my laptop from the CDs, just by inserting them as Virgil suggested; in fact they transferred automatically to iTunes-- and they now play fine--these were all CDs I was having problems with--skipping and/or several songs that would not play at all...I guess that means the problem is probably in the CD player in my stereo, not the CDs themselves...phew! Now I don't have to spend money buying the albums again! Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately I'm still not able to upload to the Amazon Cloud--even though I downloaded the app--maybe will ask my IT consultant for help...

I so wish I hadn't given away all my vinyl albums back in the 80s...it was just too hard to transport them from place to place in my transient youth...they were MUCH more durable--my parents have vinyl LPs from the 60s they still play!

I have recently ripped all my CDs onto iTunes or my music library and stream everything thru iPad. I feel like I am now done with cd's, infact dropped a bunch off today at goodwill. They take up so much space and so cumbersome. I bought Sonos and love streaming everything through that. Have hooked up some Jbl speakers and the sound is great. I stream songza and rdio when I am in the mood for stuff that is not in my library. Wished I never gave away my lp's away too but was sick of carting them around. Have been looking at thrift stores but only seem to find Englebert Humperdick. I love using computer/iPad for streaming. I even dropped off the 5 disc CD player today, done with that now!

these were all CDs I was having problems with--skipping and/or several songs that would not play at all...I guess that means the problem is probably in the CD player in my stereo, not the CDs themselves...phew!

The laser's in CD/DVD players that read the discs don't last forever.Most techies that I've spoken to were in favour of replacing the whole player unit itself rather than trying to replace a laser.

Archived