How about your favourite acoustic set?

Sue Dounim

If you like the Seattle acoustic set, there are many other '77 acoustic sets you'd enjoy...check out 27/6/77 for a really good one.

Page always sang harmony on "Bron Y Aur Stomp" in '77, and some nights (the Landover shows, for example) John Bonham sang Sandy Denny's part on "Battle Of Evermore" with Jonesy.

Thanks for the suggestions! i'm pretty sure that I've heard the others before, I just never remember dates, and the Seattle show is the most accessible. I'll make sure to listen to them again.

Anyway, regardless of how much I love Bron-y-aur Stomp (I actually saw Robert perform it last night in Sydney and it was amazing), That's the Way is always going to be my favourite acoustic. It's a shame they didn't play it in '77.

That's the Way is always going to be my favourite acoustic. It's a shame they didn't play it in '77.

Same here, "That's The Way" is one of my favourite Zeppelin songs period...they shoulda played it in '77...why not? What's another six minutes (and, quite frankly I would have preferred "That's The Way" to "Battle Of Evermore")

Same here, "That's The Way" is one of my favourite Zeppelin songs period...they shoulda played it in '77...why not? What's another six minutes (and, quite frankly I would have preferred "That's The Way" to "Battle Of Evermore")

I know... I never really liked their '77 setlist, so little deviation from '75 and also previous others.

I would've preferred That's The Way over Black Mountain Side/White Summer. I always thought it strange that they brought it back for '77, and by that time, it'd gotten a bit old. Battle of Evermore has never lost its novelty on me, though.

I know... I never really liked their '77 setlist, so little deviation from '75 and also previous others.

I would've preferred That's The Way over Black Mountain Side/White Summer. I always thought it strange that they brought it back for '77, and by that time, it'd gotten a bit old. Battle of Evermore has never lost its novelty on me, though.

The cool thing about the re-introduction of White Summer/Black Mountainside was the segue into Kashmir. When they pulled it off it was awesome, can only imagine what it would have been like to witness that in person. I do agree to an extent though, Jimmy started to noodle on a bit too much in some versions. Seattle springs to mind.

The cool thing about the re-introduction of White Summer/Black Mountainside was the segue into Kashmir. When they pulled it off it was awesome, can only imagine what it would have been like to witness that in person. I do agree to an extent though, Jimmy started to noodle on a bit too much in some versions. Seattle springs to mind.

Indeed, when kept to six or so minutes, "White Summer" worked as a 'prelude' to "Kashmir"...when Page dragged it out to ten plus minutes, the piece ended up sounding less like a song and more of a DADGAD tuning exercise (that is, when the Danelectro was in tune :lol: ) and another of those spots in the '77 setlist where you can hear the boredom set in in the audience. Once again, I guess you had to be there...I still think "White Summer" in '77 and '80 was gratuitous though -especially on the nights when Page didn't have the chops to play the thing properly- I believe most people agree that "Kashmir" was most effective in 1975 without the "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" lead in.

Indeed, when kept to six or so minutes, "White Summer" worked as a 'prelude' to "Kashmir"...when Page dragged it out to ten plus minutes, the piece ended up sounding less like a song and more of a DADGAD tuning exercise (that is, when the Danelectro was in tune :lol: ) and another of those spots in the '77 setlist where you can hear the boredom set in in the audience. Once again, I guess you had to be there...I still think "White Summer" in '77 and '80 was gratuitous though -especially on the nights when Page didn't have the chops to play the thing properly- I believe most people agree that "Kashmir" was most effective in 1975 without the "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" lead in.

At least in '77 it still sounded semi decent most of the time. By 1980 Jimmy's playing ability had diminished so much that it should have just been dropped from the set altogether. While I do like the '75 versions of the song, they suffer in my opinion because of Roberts voice. I also like the sound of the Danelectro over the Les Paul, has a more middle eastern tone to it.

I've said this before, but I love the White Summer/Black Mountain Side/Kashmir piece. They work so well together. Except for a choice few dates, all '77 versions are fine by me (even Seattle). The '79 versions a tad too short for me, and yeah I agree that most '80 versions are less than stellar, but the Zurich and Munich versions are good to me. 1977 will always be my favourite year for Kashmir though.

• 2 years later...

While I really like Black Country Woman in the acoustic set, That's The Way is always my favorite song from any acoustic set so for an absolute favorite I have to go with an earlier set. HTWWW has my most listened to acoustic set because of the high quality, but Earl's Court 5/24/75 is so nice with that Tangerine performance right before it, but that's not part of the acoustic set. I must go with HTWWW, though LA 6/27/77 is right behind it with Dancing Days!

I really wish they tried Gallows Pole, The Rain Song and Thank You during 1977!! That would have been amazing! Now Thank You and The Rain Song were flawless live on electric guitar and I'm really glad they made the choice to use an electric guitar for them, but it would have been great to hear both songs played on an acoustic during the '77 tour! Gallows Pole should have always been part of the acoustic set! But I suppose they were looking for less heavy songs without much drumming. Tangerine never seemed to work well from what I've heard, of course the Earl's Court 5/24/75 performance was epic but that was completely different from early days when played just on acoustic.

Listening to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp from Seattle '77 now. Grooviest bass I've heard from Jonsey since 1969!

EC 75' has the best acoustic set IMO, a little bit of everything. As much as I love Battle of Evermore, Jones is a pretty bad singer. Don't know why Bonzo did not sing response on this as he had a very good singing voice though what would have been great is if the band used a local female talent in the city they were playing, or maybe a famous female singer if she happened to be in the town they were at. Imagine Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, Ann Wilson, or Emmylou Harris singing response in a live setting.

Even though many people knew that it would go into kashmir (especially by the time of the second gig) there was an air of boredom/get on with it during white summer/black mountainside at knebworth. By 1977 and 1979 it wasnt everybody's cup of tea irrespective of the length. The changeover point was epic though.

• 6 months later...

I think the WSBMS intro worked really well when Jimmy was "feeling it"  There were plenty of nights where he'd try to make it happen and it dragged on and on instead.  This performance from Copenhagen is a great example of when it went right.

Anyway, after a lot of thought I ended up going with 19 June 1972 in Seattle as my favorite acoustic set.  It's the only time they ever played Black Country Woman and That's the Way on the same night, and it also has a rendition of Tangerine.  Sadly the recording is not the best, lots of nearby crowd chatter, but the performance shines through.

On 29 March 2013 at 11:18 AM, Nutrocker said:

I want to say -broken string or not- that Seattle boasts the longest "Bron Y Aur Stomp"...

I've mentioned this before: consider that, for all the hype the acoustic set got in '77, it only accounted for about twenty minutes of a given show- or, to put it in perspective, it was as long as the drum solo most nights. We talk quite a bit about what songs we'd've liked to have seen in place of all the solo wankery (drums, Noise, "White Summer")...a longer acoustic set would have been nice indeed!

Totally agree with that sentiment Nutrocker. The tease they did of 'can't be satisfied' on 27/6/77 just makes me think of what it would be like to hear more of jimmy doing bottle neck acoustic blues. 

Also a pity they didn't do tangerine in 77. Bloody love that tune

18 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Totally agree with that sentiment Nutrocker. The tease they did of 'can't be satisfied' on 27/6/77 just makes me think of what it would be like to hear more of jimmy doing bottle neck acoustic blues. 

Also a pity they didn't do tangerine in 77. Bloody love that tune

As far as I'm concerned the '77 acoustic set could have been twice the length it was. As it stands it was a wasted opportunity...if anything, Page was playing better on the ol' Martin D28 in 1977 than he was on the Les Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived