Lil Wayne in critical condition

TypeO

Sorry. Don't know how I could overlook something so essential as part of that community! My bad!

Hi SD. The rappers-with-the-wacky-names-thing stems from the days when rappers were merely the emcees at a party. At a house or block party, you'd have a DJ spinning records and typically there would be a guy on the mic who acted as the emcee and would interject shouts and hype the crowd up. Emcee was shortened to MC and that is why most of the early rappers' names were usually MC this and MC that.

Allan Konigsberg. Reginald Dwight. Robert Zimmerman.

Gordon Sumner, John Baldwin, Stuart Goddard, Walter Matthow and Thomas Mapother and many more!

BTW Sean, that's Reginald Kenneth Dwight! You're usually accurate. What's wrong with you? :wakeup:

Hi SD. The rappers-with-the-wacky-names-thing stems from the days when rappers were merely the emcees at a party. At a house or block party, you'd have a DJ spinning records and typically there would be a guy on the mic who acted as the emcee and would interject shouts and hype the crowd up. Emcee was shortened to MC and that is why most of the early rappers' names were usually MC this and MC that.

Thanks for the rappers history. Not much of a rap fan, but I did like the "Old School" stuff back in the 80's and early 90's. It was fairly new and far more creative than it is now! Now just too much A&R involvement. Just sales and for the most part, without substance. Lot of music is that way now unfortunately.

Gordon Sumner, John Baldwin, Stuart Goddard, Walter Matthow and Thomas Mapother and many more!

BTW Sean, that's Reginald Kenneth Dwight! You're usually accurate. What's wrong with you? :wakeup:

:lol: Do you want a list? My exes could provide you with one.

Most of my attention is focused on the Miami @ Boston game right now...Lakers to follow.

To be even more accurate, though, that is SIR Reginald Kenneth Dwight!

:lol: Do you want a list? My exes could provide you with one.

Most of my attention is focused on the Miami @ Boston game right now...Lakers to follow.

To be even more accurate, though, that is SIR Reginald Kenneth Dwight!

Got the idea,,,my bad this time...and...

^^^

I can no longer hear Steve Martin say that without thinking of Robert during "Nobody's Fault but Mine" on the 1977 tour.

"Oh Jimmy...oh Jimmy..."

I know what you mean and that was about the time when Steve's line became popular and his SNL appearances.

^^^

I'm pretty sure that's where Robert got the idea...SNL debuted in the fall of 1975 and Steve Martin was a popular and frequent host from the beginning. By the time of the '77 tour, Steve Martin's catch-phrase was well established in the cultural vernacular.

The first time I saw him do it on that tour, I said "Robert Plant has been listening to Steve Martin".

^^^

I'm pretty sure that's where Robert got the idea...SNL debuted in the fall of 1975 and Steve Martin was a popular and frequent host from the beginning. By the time of the '77 tour, Steve Martin's catch-phrase was well established in the cultural vernacular.

The first time I saw him do it on that tour, I said "Robert Plant has been listening to Steve Martin".

Sounds about right Strider! Steve was such an asset to that show in the beginning! Especially this...not trying to make this a Steve Martin thread, but just temporary a bit off track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5dZxA-rZY&playnext=1&list=PL1743C3F5815D69A5&feature=results_main

Archived