Oakland 1977 video comparison

ledzepfilm

Wow! This is the first video I've seen of the Oakland shows besides the short 8mm film in the videos section of this webpage. Does someone have the full July 23rd show on video now? I need to get it as this was the only time I got to see LZ. I've got the audio but a video would be great!.

^ There are three film sources (from the 23rd; 24th has no video existing):

-First is an 8 minute clip, showing clips of the whole set. Very closely shot. This is the most common out of the films.

-Second is the clip on the LZ site. This was shot at a very similar angle to the first clip, but both cameras were not running at the same time.

-Third is the new 17 minute clip which supplies most of the video in the clip I uploaded. The filmer only filmed the band at a zoomed in position during TSRTS and Whole Lotta Love. The filmer did film before and during the show, but these are mostly crowd shots.

As far as I know, no complete video of the show circulates.

Wondering how people would rate the 23rd show versus the 24th? Haven't heard either in its entirety, but looking to get both shows and wonder what opinions are on the first versus the second show (Nutrocker?).

23rd is better IMHO. 24th just feels too rushed.

Parts of the 23rd are really sloppy, notably "Ten Years Gone", where Page blows the cue to begin the main guitar solo so badly that the band almost comes crashing to a halt :lol: Mind ya, they had just woken up...

Of course the second Oakland gig seems 'rushed'; considering that the 24 July show was more or less performed under duress (Bill Graham more or less forced the group to fulfill their obligations)- after the infamous stomping which took place on the 23rd, all Zeppelin wanted to do was get the fuck outta Dodge.

Neither of of the Oakland '77 gigs are in the top tier of 1977 shows, but they're not that bad...personally in spite of all the bad craziness I'd have to give the edge to the 24th as the better performance.

Archived