No Quarter thoughts

- the keyboards sounded really close to the original Houses version - guess Jonesey's technology has come a long way. Sounded fantastic.

- Page's guitar, especially on the main riff...WOW! You could tell he'd been honing that sound for all these months. It sounded like some snarling beast slithering up from its underground hole and letting out some bone-chilling wail. Awesome.

- I loved Jonesey's last few notes that ended the piece...a perfect sorta bubbling sound that brought it to such a logical and mysterious conclusion.

I thought in general it was very nicely done. JPJ made the difference. Page/Plant did an admirable job on the 1998 tour, but the keyboards always fell flat. Which is no surprise, since it's Jonesy's song to begin with.

O2 Reunion>Page/Plant version. But with that said, it does not rival the 1977/79 versions.

However, I'M NOT BITCHING!! :lol: I'm just happy to hear it played PROPERLY again.

it does not rival the 1977/79 versions.

Or 73 or 75, for that matter. I'll have to hear it a few more times (hopefully on an official release SOON!!), but right now I think Page's playing on the verses might even be superior to the old days, if only for the better sound equipment. But don't get me wrong, there was no touching the solos from the old days. Jimmy was probably limited by time this time round, though, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I was never happy with the P/P version of No Quarter. For one thing, Robert's new melody shifts into a deliberate major 3rd at one point which is really wince-inducing. Layne Staley could get away with that kind of major/minor ambiguity, but it doesn't work here. The acoustification of the Zep songs on Unledded only succeeded in denying Jimmy the opportunity to solo, which sucked.

I was never happy with the P/P version of No Quarter. For one thing, Robert's new melody shifts into a deliberate major 3rd at one point which is really wince-inducing. Layne Staley could get away with that kind of major/minor ambiguity, but it doesn't work here. The acoustification of the Zep songs on Unledded only succeeded in denying Jimmy the opportunity to solo, which sucked.

Jimmy did some fine solos in the 1998 version. They started stretching it out again, the version from New Orleans is nearly 14 minutes long. I didn't care for the Unledded version, but the 1998 version was quite decent.

And I get what you mean about the vocals. Me also being an Alice In Chains fan. ;)

Just for clarification, RockAction is talking about the P/P tour in 98 where they pretty much went back to the Zeppelin versions so-to-speak. Right?

As opposed to the P/P version on Unledded which was 94-96.

I personally loved all that stuff including NQ. But I think I loved it because it was a re-arrangement.

It wouldn't have made sense without the original having come first.

Just for clarification, RockAction is talking about the P/P tour in 98 where they pretty much went back to the Zeppelin versions so-to-speak. Right?

As opposed to the P/P version on Unledded which was 94-96.

I personally loved all that stuff including NQ. But I think I loved it because it was a re-arrangement.

It wouldn't have made sense without the original having come first.

You've got what I mean. NQ was very close to the 1973 version when they played it in 1998. The Unledded version is OK really, I just didn't care for my favorite tune being radically rearranged like that, sans keyboards.

Again, it's never the same without JPJ.

The version from TSRTS is still the benchmark IMO. I've always considered that one of the best live solos ever recorded. I'd like to hear a better copy from Monday though... :whistling:

Yeah the solo on TSRTS No Quarter is one of my favourites of all time. Monday's solo was a bit short but definitely a highlight for me. So many highlights from the show its hard to pick one! :D

I'm listening to it right now and it sounds sooo good... I think its one of the best versions I've heard!! JPJ's keyboards are fantastic, and Pagey's tone is absolutely killer. Loving it. :thumbsup:

I love that last note of Jimmy's solo.... ugh. :yay:

The version from TSRTS is still the benchmark IMO. I've always considered that one of the best live solos ever recorded. I'd like to hear a better copy from Monday though... :whistling:
Hey Night Flight. That's a really cool O2 design in your sig! Did you do it yourself?

I wasn't there, but after listening a few times I felt like the O2 version was more faithful to the studio version than any past live versions. Jimmy rather steals the show. Great playing.

I though JPJ started it off a bit faster than what I'm used to. I'd been listening to the the 23rd badgeholders version some recently.

a big 5 stars though, people on the train think I'm crazy,

sitting there with my headphones on, I can't stop this big grin from coming over my face listening to NQ as well as many other tunes from the O2. Triumphant, indeed.

Yeah the solo on TSRTS No Quarter is one of my favourites of all time. Monday's solo was a bit short but definitely a highlight for me. So many highlights from the show its hard to pick one! :D

Tonally I like NQ better when JPJ stays on the organ. In 1977 the solo is more interesting obviously but the grand piano I think breaks the gloomy mood of the song too much. Same thing when he used the piano during the Stairway solo. They should have written more music specifically to use the grand piano instead.

Archived