^^^

I was speaking more of the Tiger-hate from the general public, not just specifically limited to this forum. Even so, I still detect a bit of schadenfreude from some people here when it comes to Tiger Woods.

Bring on The Open. Muirfield, here we come!

^^^

I was speaking more of the Tiger-hate from the general public, not just specifically limited to this forum. Even so, I still detect a bit of schadenfreude from some people here when it comes to Tiger Woods.

Bring on The Open. Muirfield, here we come!

Tbh, the only thing I detected was a determination to see the rules of golf being applied and I seriously doubt anyone would have thought twice about saying something if it had been another golfer. Golf is all about rules and they apply to everyone who plays the game. Those of us who play, understand that so when we see a violation at the pro level, we're going to have an opinion. Nothing more

The next Major is the U.S. Open in June
Merion GC, Ardmore, PA

Although The Players Championship is a great tourney and most of the best players in the world play it. Could be a good 'tune up'

I was a couch potato this past weekend watching the Masters. My back is a little stiff. My wife says I'm suffering from Masters Back.

I gotta say I'm not a big booster of Steve Williams. He's a bit of a bufoon. He said some weird stuff about Phil Mickelson a few years back. Just shut up and carry the bag! Good caddy though.

Tbh, the only thing I detected was a determination to see the rules of golf being applied and I seriously doubt anyone would have thought twice about saying something if it had been another golfer. Golf is all about rules and they apply to everyone who plays the game. Those of us who play, understand that so when we see a violation at the pro level, we're going to have an opinion. Nothing more

From everything I have read, the rules were applied in regards to Tiger. The rules having been changed, there was no need for Tiger to withdraw or be DQed.

Edited by Strider

The next Major is the U.S. Open in June

Merion GC, Ardmore, PA

Although The Players Championship is a great tourney and most of the best players in the world play it. Could be a good 'tune up'

We're in an era at the moment that may be the best I can remember. The Majors truly are up for grabs

From everything I have read, the rules were applied in regards to Tiger. The rules having been changed, there was no need for Tiger to withdraw or be DQed.

Regardless of whether I or anyone else was correct in our understanding of the rule. I just don't see how hatred for Tiger entered the picture. Anywho, I'm not going to turn this thread into a political farce. If I was wrong about the ruling, then so be it. That would be my bad but, I'll be damned if I'll allow you or anyone else to imply that anything other than an appreciation for the rules of golf were my motivating factor.

Edited by ally

^^^

I didn't say "Ally's hatred for Tiger"...so I wasn't ever specifically calling you out, Ally. Plus, I don't see how politics enters the picture when discussing Tiger, so I didn't understand your 'political farce' reference. You seem to think I am mad at you, when I am not.

Edited by Strider

The rule is/was designed because of small otherwise undetectable things that can be picked up by HD televisions and not necessarily by the naked eye. Tiger's situation was that they (The Master's Committee) determined he had not intentionally mis-dropped the dropped the ball at 15, so he was given a two-stroke penalty and not the DQ.

However, he does know the rule (or should have given the recent rewriting of it) and made a mistake in the moment of an extremely unlucky occurance of the ball hitting the pin and going into the water. Fair enough as he was given a ruling on it by the committee. So, he was continuing to play legally.

The problem with all of this is that golf is a gentleman's sport and you call yourself on things that even your opponents can't see, because that is the level the players have held themselves to over the years. This has been proven time and time again. Tiger did what was legally responsible of him to do within the ruling that was given to him the next morning, he has violated the spirit and level of respect for the rules that have been played by for decades, if not centuries. He made a mistake, intentionally helped his game by intentionally dropping the ball in a location that would benefit him and did not follow the rule where it states the ball "has to be as close to the original spot as possible". He admitted he took the ball back two yards so that he would not have the exact same distance - knowing that would benefit him. In the heat of the moment though, he forgot that was not the rule. They gave him a break, even knowing that he had intentionally moved the ball far away from his original divot.

This may seem very trivial and silly to some - but him not WD-ing himself completely tears at the fabric of what this sport has been built on way before he was ever thought of. I find it outrageous that he kept himself in the tournament and I'm sure I'll hear a lot about it next week when we travel to Savannah for the Legend's of Golf.

So to simplify what I have said, Tiger legally could and did play out the tournament. He should have WD from the tournament out of respect for the rule that he did not follow - even if the committee didn't call him out on it the way they should've - because it was the right thing to do in the eye's of the history of the game. End of story.

Congrats to Babs, ebk and thank you to Rich for putting it all together for us.

:peace:

^^^

I didn't say "Ally's hatred for Tiger"...so I wasn't ever specifically calling you out, Ally. Plus, I don't see how politics enters the picture when discussing Tiger, so I didn't understand your 'political farce' reference. You seem to think I am mad at you, when I am not.

Okay. Truce called. Events in Boston definitely take priority :peace:

Apologies to everyone for my part in temporarily derailing the thread yesterday. Just wanted everyone to understand that there was no sinister motivation on my part with the Tiger issue .

Strider, You're more than entitled to state your opinion but I think the topic of Tiger is maybe something we'll just have to agree to disagree on. For my part, I'm done with it

On the subject of golf, not only am I looking forward to the Players Championship and the US Open, but with this generation of golfers, I'm looking forward to watching many of the regular tour events as well. Maybe not all four days but certainly, the final round. Thanks again Fishy and looking forward to the US Open pool.

The rule is/was designed because of small otherwise undetectable things that can be picked up by HD televisions and not necessarily by the naked eye. Tiger's situation was that they (The Master's Committee) determined he had not intentionally mis-dropped the dropped the ball at 15, so he was given a two-stroke penalty and not the DQ.

However, he does know the rule (or should have given the recent rewriting of it) and made a mistake in the moment of an extremely unlucky occurance of the ball hitting the pin and going into the water. Fair enough as he was given a ruling on it by the committee. So, he was continuing to play legally.

The problem with all of this is that golf is a gentleman's sport and you call yourself on things that even your opponents can't see, because that is the level the players have held themselves to over the years. This has been proven time and time again. Tiger did what was legally responsible of him to do within the ruling that was given to him the next morning, he has violated the spirit and level of respect for the rules that have been played by for decades, if not centuries. He made a mistake, intentionally helped his game by intentionally dropping the ball in a location that would benefit him and did not follow the rule where it states the ball "has to be as close to the original spot as possible". He admitted he took the ball back two yards so that he would not have the exact same distance - knowing that would benefit him. In the heat of the moment though, he forgot that was not the rule. They gave him a break, even knowing that he had intentionally moved the ball far away from his original divot.

This may seem very trivial and silly to some - but him not WD-ing himself completely tears at the fabric of what this sport has been built on way before he was ever thought of. I find it outrageous that he kept himself in the tournament and I'm sure I'll hear a lot about it next week when we travel to Savannah for the Legend's of Golf.

So to simplify what I have said, Tiger legally could and did play out the tournament. He should have WD from the tournament out of respect for the rule that he did not follow - even if the committee didn't call him out on it the way they should've - because it was the right thing to do in the eye's of the history of the game. End of story.

Congrats to Babs, ebk and thank you to Rich for putting it all together for us.

:peace:

Good post.

Totally agree on the issue of the spirit of the rule.

I'm actually a big Tiger fan, but not to the point of overlooking things.

I believe the rule was JUST changed last year, so it's not like it was something obscure.

The scorecard was correct at the time he signed it; nobody in Tiger's playing group raised objections to Tiger's drop and score at the end of the round, and even a review by the Augusta officials gave the all-clear to Tiger's drop. So his score was correct at the time he signed the card. It wasn't until after, when Bozo the TV-Viewer called in and they assessed the two-stroke penalty the next day, that Tiger's scorecard technically became incorrect.

Not sure how many would risk ridicule, coming off as petty or nit-picky by calling him on it.

Almost like when someone with you does something mildly inappropriate, and you find yourself surprised, thinking you wouldn't expect it from them, but you don't feel comfortable pointing it out.

I imagine even among the pros, Tiger is somewhat of a larger-than-life figure, and could be somewhat daunting.

Still a fan, but a little disappointed he didn't take a more honorable approach.

OK, so I was scheduled to take photos of the entrance to our Golf Course for the website since everything is in full bloom.

Went down and spoke to the Course manager, and he had tons of clubs and whatnot in his office, so i started talking about how I played online with the WGT.com site, and how much fun it was, and how I now recognized most of the various clubs he had - Rocketballz and such.

He said I was about the 5th person in the past week to say the same thing about WGT.com..

I went into how I was having so much fun that I told my wife I was gonna buy an old set of clubs from Goodwill for $25 or so to give it a try.

So he tells me, "Don't bother, I have an entire set of rental clubs we don't use anymore you can have, when you come back this afternoon I'll set up a bag for you.

They're banged up, but they'll get you started."

I almost fell out!

So I'm totally psyched about getting a free starter set!

Life is good.

OK, so I was scheduled to take photos of the entrance to our Golf Course for the website since everything is in full bloom.

Went down and spoke to the Course manager, and he had tons of clubs and whatnot in his office, so i started talking about how I played online with the WGT.com site, and how much fun it was, and how I now recognized most of the various clubs he had - Rocketballz and such.

He said I was about the 5th person in the past week to say the same thing about WGT.com..

I went into how I was having so much fun that I told my wife I was gonna buy an old set of clubs from Goodwill for $25 or so to give it a try.

So he tells me, "Don't bother, I have an entire set of rental clubs we don't use anymore you can have, when you come back this afternoon I'll set up a bag for you.

I almost fell out!

Life is good.

That's excellent ! Hope you give the game a reasonable chance. I've known so many that have given up after a couple of rounds. On the other hand, I've also known a few who were naturals right from the get go. When I say naturals, I mean they were making pretty decent contact with the ball and not spraying it all over the place.They soon made the necessary adjustments and were hitting enough good balls to make them want to come back. Regardless though, you've now got a full set of clubs to try out on the course and the driving range. I think that's a very cool story !

I almost fell out!

Life is good.

Number one rule. Get some lessons from a pro. Basics are all important. Golf may look easy (ish) but it's extremely difficult. There are so many facets to the game and if you pick up bad habits from the start, the game will demoralise you and make it very frustrating. I should know I didn't get lessons until it was ( nearly) too late. Welcome to the game and when the bug bites it will never leave you

^^^

and remember to....... be the ball...... beeeeee theeeeee balllllllll

As long as you're hitting it straight. If it starts to head for the tree's....bail !