Showmanship

kingzoso

Townshend's great but I tend to agree on Richards if he's really serious with his criticism ...half of what the Stones say over the years is just off the cuff things that maybe r supposed to go with their bad boy image. I doubt Jimmy loses sleep over it

Keef may have done what came naturally, which is to strum the lower neck of his Fender almost through all of his songs but could Keef ever do this?:

http://youtu.be/_k62vVO58Cc or this:

http://youtu.be/SZIaLEzZpP8

I know I may get Hell for this, but Keith Richards is a minor leaguer compared to Jimmy Page. I think this is the reason Keith has had a lot of resentment toward Led Zeppelin in various interviews he has given when regards to Led Zeppelin. As much as I Love the Stones, Jimmy Page was a better guitar player than Mick Taylor and Keith Richard combined.

Keith has never claimed to be the greatest guitar player ever, he has always been more known for his writing and rhythm playing more than anything. Sure, his chops have diminished a lot over recent years but he was one of the best rhythm guitarists going in the 70s. Just listen to any version of Midnight Rambler from 1969-1975. He is a pretty damn good showman as well... which is what I thought this thread was about??

Keef may have done what came naturally, which is to strum the lower neck of his Fender almost through all of his songs but could Keef ever do this?:

http://youtu.be/_k62vVO58Cc or this:

http://youtu.be/SZIaLEzZpP8

I know I may get Hell for this, but Keith Richards is a minor leaguer compared to Jimmy Page. I think this is the reason Keith has had a lot of resentment toward Led Zeppelin in various interviews he has given when regards to Led Zeppelin. As much as I Love the Stones, Jimmy Page was a better guitar player than Mick Taylor and Keith Richard combined.

Let's put it this way...... if I went to see Led Zeppelin and Jimmy did not bring out the violin bow, it would probably be a better show for it at this date. I'd say Jimmy and Keith are much in the same boat in their old age. Keith didn't get into the weird facial expressions while playing his solos as Jimmy did. If you're going to bring Mick Taylor into this, I'm sure both he and Keith would look kind of ridiculous doing what Jimmy does. It's sort of like Hendrix smashing his guitar.....now wouldn't Townshend look silly playing with his teeth? And Keith's stance, while playing, is one the the most imitated styles out there.

Because it looks cool. Simple as that. More weird, IMO, are Plant's hand motions he adopted during his solo career.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the Keith Richards of "68-'78. He did start doing some weird motions in the '80's.

I guess what I'd prefer watching is a band coming out on stage and just doing a straight forward show without all the gimmicks. So maybe I'm more into non-showmanship, ha, ha!

Another thing that comes to mind is that often female guitar players are criticized for the way they hold their guitar, but I'd say both Keith's and Jimmy's styles are quite feminine, visually that is.

Jerry Lee Lewis was the grandaddy of showmanship and stage presence. Jimmy & Jimi were the best showmen of the guitarists IMO. Regarding singers, no one comes close to Freddie, just brilliant. Drummers, without a doubt John Bonham, so much personality. Keyboardist, Rick Wakeman, not only could he play but he was more broadway and cabaret than Judy Garland! Bass players, Bootsy Collins, that guy plays his ass off and moves like MC Hammer on crack...Doin the Humpty Dance before there was either crack OR the Humpty Dance. That's talent baby!!!

Never liked Townshend, he was to me kind of proto-punk and like all the punk players came across as a bit of an asshole. Keith, well, I guess the drugged out stagger, or swagger may get some folk but not my thing.

Oh, and honorable mention goes to Andrew Wood & Bon Scott. I would mention Angus Young but the non-stop duck-walk + head bob got old real quick.

Wait, wait, wait, just remembered three more: Arthur Brown (willingly setting yourself on fire rocks), King Diamond (what a sense of humor), and Bette Midler.

How about Chuck Berry The original showman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FCQqmxFmo

I think they all borrowed from Chuck

When having this discussion, It must be noted that the Incredible "T-Bone Walker" is where Chuck Berry AND Jimi Hendrix got a lot of their inspiration. And not just the flash/showmanship. He was the first "stunt guitarist" if you will though, playing between his legs and behind his head etc. And quite brilliantly at that! (Also, this is NOT just my opinion.) ^_^

One of my favorite song performances to watch because of Jimmy's moves is The Ocean!

From the giant full-arm motion snapping at the drum counts to the guitar-emphasis finger pointing, to the crazy-leg sashay across the stage to the defiant stance at the end of his solo, I am in awe.

Jimmy Page is just simply mesmerizing on stage!

But alas, I am not an impartial person...I am a

full unashamed Pagette, here! B)

Peace!

Jimmy's wardrobe was definitely on the decline by '79. From then on I’d say his manner of dress was not in bad taste but tasteless. It looks like he just put on whatever happened to be lying around the house. And that's about time that the low slung guitar no longer looks that cool. Hey, maybe that's why Keith Richards' playing has gone down hill......because around '81 he started wearing his guitar lower. Ha, ha!

Archived